Tarpon on Sanibel Beaches

Had to share this photo. My sons friend has been hitting the beaches pretty hard for trophy Snook and Tarpon.

I have seen plenty of pictures, snook 40+ inches and a few Tarpon, early morning (dawn) seems to be the most productive.

He is also in the process of getting his USCG OUPV, which the paperwork is in process right now.

He has been putting in a lot of time for the last few months, finding sweet spots and it looks like it has paid off.
Capt Bill

Replies

• nuclearfishnnuclearfishn Posts: 8,353 Admiral
    Now that's tarpon fishing.
    Can't follow them on boat.
    Very impressive
  • HawkboatHawkboat Posts: 1,030 Officer
    Now that's tarpon fishing

That's also youth, he hits the beaches prior to dawn, told me he gets up at 3 AM..:hairraiser. I sort of remember those days:rotflmao
    Capt Bill
  • PilchardPilchard Posts: 1,373 Officer
    Nice fish
    Just know Garret...don't know the other guy.
    Capt Bill
  • DarcyDarcy Posts: 1,711 Captain
    Nice ****
    "No i'm NOT Darcizzle!":blowkiss

https://captainsforcleanwater.org
  • PilchardPilchard Posts: 1,373 Officer
    Nice snook as well

Double post

• angleraustinangleraustin Posts: 87 Deckhand
    What have you guys been getting them on?
    Fish hard! 17cc Triumph 60hp Yamaha 4 stroke[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I saw the setup yesterday, he was using a G-Loomis rod, don't know what class, and Diawa Saltist spinner outfit, rigged with about 3/4- 1 OZ jig head with a root-beer colored shad body and 4 inches long..trick is be there before the sun comes up.
    Capt Bill
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,610 Moderator
    Hawkboat wrote: »
    That's also youth, he hits the beaches prior to dawn, told me he gets up at 3 AM..:hairraiser. I sort of remember those days:rotflmao
    I still do get up at 3:00 AM of course it is to use the bath room,then back between the sheets.
    Thanks for the report there is a ethereal kind of feeling at dawn.
    larrywitt
  • spearjunkyspearjunky Posts: 177 Deckhand
    i leave thurs for a week i nomaly catch snook but not tarpon was he using pilchards
  • spearjunkyspearjunky Posts: 177 Deckhand
    my bad only read page 1
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,301 Admiral
    great catch!
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
    spearjunky wrote: »
    i leave thurs for a week i nomaly catch snook but not tarpon was he using pilchards

See the above post for what he was using and swears by, but I am sure PILCHARDS would works also. I guess the artificals saves times and easier because he gets there pre-sunrise
    Capt Bill
  • ScminnowScminnow Posts: 3,806 Captain
    Your son and his friend are really nice guys. Fished along side them the last few mornings. Unfortunately they are parked illegally. I'm willing to give them a pass but if others show up all bets are off.
    ill let him know..thanks
    Capt Bill