Home Egret Boats

Install Question

Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
So I called Frank up and explained to him about my front dry storage not staying open with the friction hinges. He gladly sent me a gas hinge with the brackets and screws free of charge. Now I'm nervous as a sprayed roach about drilling my boat. How do I know exactly where to install the hatch and should I pre drill the screw holes? Pete or anyone else with knowledge, please chime in!!
Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado

Replies

• HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    Wow that's a little disappointing. BB, should I have my boat built with the gas hinge on that hatch?
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    Wow that's a little disappointing. BB, should I have my boat built with the gas hinge on that hatch?
    I would have the rod lockers done without them also. Its nice to open them all the way.

BB- I would pre drill the holes for sure. Drill them a little smaller than the screw.I am sure the kit comes with instructions. If not call Frank and ask to speak to William for directions.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    I actually ordered it without the hinge and Frank said if I needed it he would send. I had forgotten that on the build sheet unspecified not to put gas shocks on any of the hatches unless absolutely necessary. I bet Frank will put it on there on yours but you can request it to make sure.

Renagade69 wrote: »
    I would have the rod lockers done without them also. Its nice to open them all the way.

BB- I would pre drill the holes for sure. Drill them a little smaller than the screw.I am sure the kit comes with instructions. If not call Frank and ask to speak to William for directions.
    He didn't put the shocks on my rod lockers and I like it. Thanks for the help Frank!

• HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    He didn't put the shocks on my rod lockers and I like it. Thanks for the help Frank!

But BB, you did say that on the rod lockers yours don't open all the way, as seen in the pictures right? What does the ability to open them all the way depend on? I kind of like the friction hinges on the rod lockers and I think you specified in a previous post that it gave you plenty of access.
    Loading your rods in the boat while it is sitting in your driveway on the trailer will be easier with the rod lockers fully open.
    But BB, you did say that on the rod lockers yours don't open all the way, as seen in the pictures right? What does the ability to open them all the way depend on? I kind of like the friction hinges on the rod lockers and I think you specified in a previous post that it gave you plenty of access.

I said my rod lockers don't lay back flat on the deck. Mine go back just past 90 degrees which is great for me. I like that they won't slam back on the deck when I'm on the water. Just my opinion.

I said my rod lockers don't lay back flat on the deck. Mine go back just past 90 degrees which is great for me. I like that they won't slam back on the deck when I'm on the water. Just my opinion.
    If you didn't have the friction hinge then there would be a cable that stops them from hitting the push pole holders and I added one on the opposite side.
  • rocketman1rocketman1 Posts: 187 Deckhand
    Have you tried tightening the hinges with an Allen wrench? Sorry if I missed that.
    I had those hinges on my last rig and had to adjust them. Super easy.
    Also they will get tight with minor corrosion after several uses. So I put a drop or two of CorrosionX or synthetic reel oil on them and that helped keep them smooth. Good luck.
    NO HABITAT = NO FISH
    I have not tried tightening them but I will. Also will be applying the lube. Thanks!