Home Egret Boats

189 console functionality and space below

lowerkeyslowerkeys Posts: 99 Greenhorn
i have a new to me 1996 189 and the one thing that i find on the boat to be somewhat frustrating is the usefulness of the space under the console. it has the little stock rack tray which i find to be a little too high to actually look in and see. i put stuff in there (phone, wallet, binoculars, electronic display cover, etc.) but i find the design to be a little off and have to feel around in there to actually retrieve anything. In constrast, i look inside the console below the tray and there is loads of space which seems to be wasted. my boat actually has some clear plexi glass which shows at least a foot of below deck space in addition to the space below the tray. i think i read that EgretLanding relocated his batteries in there but i kinda scratch my head and wonder why that space is not easier to access and more uselful. any of you guys find the same? i am not complaining as the boat has loads of dry storage and space but that is the one thing that i cant figure out from a design standpoint.

Replies

• Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    My 2011 is the same. I have a plastic box that I bought and put on the floor to put my personal effects as well as GPS cover, etc. works for me. My Maverick was the same way.
    Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
    2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    Egret Landing also added a nice box on his console his GPS is on top of that serves as an easier to access glove box.

Every Flats Boat console is hard to get into and access. The bottom compartment in an Egret console is an extra Frank gave to the owners. Most boat companies would just cover that area off. You can use it to store items you would only expect to use in an emergency such as a spare propeller, couple of gallons of water, inflatable life raft, ect. because its hard to get to but convenient to have. If you put batteries or any mechanical item down there you have to make sure you maintain your bilge pump properly.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    lowerkeys wrote: »
    i have a new to me 1996 189 and the one thing that i find on the boat to be somewhat frustrating is the usefulness of the space under the console. it has the little stock rack tray which i find to be a little too high to actually look in and see. i put stuff in there (phone, wallet, binoculars, electronic display cover, etc.) but i find the design to be a little off and have to feel around in there to actually retrieve anything. In constrast, i look inside the console below the tray and there is loads of space which seems to be wasted. my boat actually has some clear plexi glass which shows at least a foot of below deck space in addition to the space below the tray. i think i read that EgretLanding relocated his batteries in there but i kinda scratch my head and wonder why that space is not easier to access and more uselful. any of you guys find the same? i am not complaining as the boat has loads of dry storage and space but that is the one thing that i cant figure out from a design standpoint.

That space that is under the console is part of the stringer system. That is where we would install a 10 gallon freshwater washdown. the purpose for the lexan is to keep stuff from falling all the way down to the hull bottom. As far as the try inside the console, get a tupperware container put your wallet, keys, cell phone, etc. in it and then you don't have to reach all around looking for your stuff.

There is plenty of room to install a battery or two in there. But unless you need more than three batteries, just leave them under the helm seat compartment. that is unless you have a real heavy outboard and want to move some weight foreward.
    Tight Lines... Pete
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 606 Officer
    Yes, too everything Pete said.
    Under the lexan is a dry bag with jeans, fleece and extra rain jacket,shoes and skeeter spray. On top is tupperware dry box for things that must stay dry--no matter what.
    Shelf is for charts, or things that won't bounce around and drop somewhere.
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    I agree that space is great to have but having better access would clearly have been better. I would have designed it in so it could become more functional rather than just a place of last resort to store stuff you rarely use. I put three batteries down there to help on my draft. Four would fit. Its a hassle getting down in there as you know to secure everything and running the wires around. You have to use batteries with strong handles on them that fold down or use a battery puller to grab the battery if you need to pull one out to change. I also have to remove the entire front access panel to have enough room to get one in or out. Its not a space that ever gets seen really so making everything perfectly neat isn't necessary as long as everything is totally secure. I have some starboard secured to the bottom down there and battery trays secured to the starboard. The advantage is a little better boat balance and the battery space under the seat becomes highly functional storage. I found my boat runs a little better and gets up faster with all the batteries closer to the center of the boat. And since I run around in such shallow water most of the time, the little extra draft I get often is welcome.