Home Southeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

SLI 7/26 Tuna pick and anothe Guest

We weren't looking to do the tuna thing again today and were well away from the hill but they found us. Not the big numbers yesterday but a little more diverse. We wanted dolphin but like yesterday only good weed we found was inside dirty water. About 425 feet we got covered up with blackfins and a skipjack. Shortly after we had some small dolphin hop into the spread but never actually ate a bait. I took another pass and the small stuff all went down. Couple blackfins and to our surprise a couple small yellow fins (not big enough). Hammered the area with no luck...
Saw a small boat in front of us stop on something. A palate ... They fired live and dead baits but nothing home. As we pulled away from the area the flat lines screamed. The question marks were again racing in my head as the little tld 15's dumped pretty far down. Got color on the first after maybe fifteen minutes. Was hoping for keeper class yellowfins but they weren't ... Big Oceanic Bonitos. There is some debate as to whether they are same specie as skip jack but I have always call them separate. Fatter hind quarters and considerably larger than the ones I call skipjack...
I slid to the numbers where we scored yesterday and couldn't draw a bite. Yesterday we had the place pretty much to our selves. Today there were a few boats drifting and resetting which might have put em down or maybe they just plain weren't there. Can't get mad at the drifters. I don't own the place and they have as much claim to that area as I do.
We gave it a little more time back south and out then boss man had me point it at the pilings. We saw a free jumper in 440 feet then at 260 the boss set up on a small sail I didn't even see sneak into the spread. I hang my head in shame. Oh well... Right flavor. We saw another free flopper in 110 and yet another in 60 but like the one in 440 no love...
Yesterday the tuna were hot on cedar jigs un painted. Today they chose the "day savers". Those being basically 4" pointed skirts with eyes , pointed lead in the head , rigged with 6 feet of 40lb leader and 7/0 hook... Blue and blue/pink slightly outdid the purples that were a little behind the cedar in yesterdays popularity contest.
Little time til next local trip then boat goes into 100% interior retrofit and finish a couple mechanical upgrades. Looking at getting even bigger boat (like 61 is too small?) so owner wants this one like new condition for possible sale...

Replies