Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Time to Explore Report 7-26-14

Finally was able to take the day offshore and do some grouper diggin' .
The day didn't start off quite as planned. I called the marina on Friday to have them put my boat in the water for my early departure and to Top off the tank. I arrived about 5:30- 5:45 to see my boat in the water with my front spreader light ON. Now I'm a little concerned as to how long that light was on and if the boat would start ? It did. Loaded the boat and looked at my gas gauge . Just a touch past HALF FULL . At this point I am PIZZED. I know that I can't get fuel until 8 am. Ran out to get white bait and hook line some pinfish . While wasting my morning waiting for Ms Vickies to open . Went to Ms Vickies to Top off the tank. It only held 4 gallons. Okay gas gauge not working correctly , sorry to my marina for the cussing I was giving you for the first 2 hours of the day.

Now on to the report. I posted in General asking for some pointers . I got some real good info from some guys on PMs. Thanks to all that helped out. One of you sent me 7 #'s and put in the post that you didn't know if they were still good or not. Yes things on the water change . So off we go. On the way out it was rougher than expected . Started off with 1-2 then 2-3 and then the occasional 4. I had to slow it down. I also had to stop a couple of times just to take a break as it was beating my girl friend and I up pretty good. I found a good looking area about 4 miles east of the closest # that was sent . I put 3 way points on it. Proceeded to head to the closest # that was provided.

Now I get to the closest # and I Idle all around it only to see a completely flat bottom. The way that my day started (lights and gas) I naturally start to think to myself that I am getting the NEW GUY HAZE. I picture someone that sent me some #'s (that I have never met in person) sitting at the local watering hole . Having a cold one with his buddies . Hey Guys check this out , this guy post a question asking for some pointers so I sent him 7 #'s from 35-41 miles out :rotflmao Well that isn't what happened , but at the time it made sense to me

I decide to head back to the the 3 spots that I marked . I find another spot short of that area. 70 feet of water with a nice (not big) sized hump up to 63 feet. Decide to drift . Sent down a chicken rig with a 5/0 circle hook on 60lb flouro finished with a 6 oz bank sinker on a short piece of 15lb mono. Pick up some very nice sized grunts , which we vented and released. Decided to drop hook. First attempt at anchoring I missed :banghead Hand pulled anchor tried again . Second attempt at anchoring Perfect :grin

Get set up drop and start catching more large grunts. All were released . I eat them my GF never has and she didn't want to start now. Then rod bows over Gag and he is 22 and 1/8 . I slurry my grouper and was worried about shrinkage so I send him back :angel . Fish Gods must have liked the move . Just a few minutes later 24 inch gag hits the deck (in the box) Then a double hook up with a 23 and another 24 incher. Both in the box. Several short gags and short reds ( one red at 20 released **** shrinkage) Maybe 10-15 minutes later we fill our limit with a 26 inch gag. Caught so many short reds I wanted to try to still fish the area hoping for a grown one. Couple more keeper gags all released unharmed. Then a huge nurse shark every bit of 200 lbs. Decided to call it a day.

Baits that we used didn't seem to matter . Dines , Boston Mackerel , live pinfish all seemed to work equally . Too many Grunts for squid . I will post pics later.

Next time out I will be looking for a different area as I do not like to go to the same spots over and over. I will post pics later. Just wanted to get the report out

Till next time :fishing

Replies

• BD27BD27 Posts: 1,179 Officer
    Just want to add no signs of red tide yet :crossed and lots of flying fish from 50 feet out
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,227 Moderator
    4 nice gags, a great fishing trip! By the way, grunts are some of the best fish fry/fish taco eats in the Gulf, tender, white mini fillets.
  • snookmansnookman Posts: 226 Deckhand
    just put the gags in your live well if they are barely over. This way they will not shrink and if you get stopped you can release them alive and reduce the chance of getting in trouble.
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,316 AG
    Sounds like your day turned out pretty good. :applause There's lots of good bottom up your way.

Personally, I would never send someone on a wild goose chase with fictitious numbers, well, except for the JP number incident. :grin

You might want to look at purchasing one of these.
    s7_011949_999_01?rgn=0,0,610,615&scl=1.618421052631579&fmt=jpeg&id=20ConlKKzMQTieyehUWucH

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • FishInFLFishInFL Posts: 2,222 Captain
    Another example of the forum hooking up members on fish, great job and kudos to all who gave him numbers!:fishing
    Reel-Lucky wrote: »
    4 nice gags, a great fishing trip! By the way, grunts are some of the best fish fry/fish taco eats in the Gulf, tender, white mini fillets.

That's what I told her. I think very similar to crappie
    snookman wrote: »
    just put the gags in your live well if they are barely over. This way they will not shrink and if you get stopped you can release them alive and reduce the chance of getting in trouble.

It was full of live bait (white bait that was to small to use and some pin fish that didn't get a ride back)
    Mango Man wrote: »
    Sounds like your day turned out pretty good. :applause There's lots of good bottom up your way.

Personally, I would never send someone on a wild goose chase with fictitious numbers, well, except for the JP number incident. :grin

You might want to look at purchasing one of these.
    s7_011949_999_01?rgn=0,0,610,615&scl=1.618421052631579&fmt=jpeg&id=20ConlKKzMQTieyehUWucH

I have one. Just felt like a little exercise it was on board.

FYI I didn't name any names
    FishInFL wrote: »
    Another example of the forum hooking up members on fish, great job and kudos to all who gave him numbers!:fishing

It wasn't a number that was given . It was one that was found in the area of one that was given. Thanks to all that helped with #'s and techniques . That was the main thing. I know how to read a chart and my bottom machine. The main thing was wondering what the best local baits are and rigging techniques.

In the big bend area I have done well on a standard carolina rig on a 4 foot leader. Keys same rig or knocker rig with a nice live bait , both with longer leaders. Yesterday a chicken rig worked just fine with short loop knots and only 1 hook . I never really used a chicken rig much , but I will in the future. Quick drop and less hangups on the bottom
  • Grouper GeniusGrouper Genius Posts: 1,469 Officer
    A lot of my numbers look like flat bottom. That's what we call swiss cheese bottom. A bunch of holes with grouper sitting in them. I find them by drifting and throwing a jug to mark it when we hook up.
    2400 CC Sea Chaser-Yamaha F250-Bad **** Tower (SOLD)
    Grady White 306 Bimini 300 Suzukis
    Hurricane 246 FunDeck