Home Egret Boats

DownVU and SideVU Sonar

HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
Have you guys seen this technology. I am getting it with my 840xs Garmin on the new bird. Seems almost unfair in some fishing situations but dam its cool.

I'm sure Lowrance and Ray Marine and Hummingbird have or will have similar tech.

Any experience using it from guys on the forum?

Replies

• FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    Yeah down scan and side imaging works in clear water the best while moving 3 to 6 mph!
    Good luck using it in Flamingo with the silty water!
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    I had it on my 2011 and my new boat has the same fish finder. I will not install the transducer for it because its not worth it.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    I use the Lowrance Structure Scan (down scan and side scan) all the time hunting for striped bass in the South Carolina lakes I fish. Those lakes are literally flooded hardwood forests and you are able to pick out fish and bait in tree tops in 100' of water. Previously the sonar would show the structure but it was often difficult to pick out fish down in there. Now it is no problem once you learn to read it. The only use I have had for it at Flamingo is looking for grouper holes in the rivers or looking for a piece of structure off shore. You should see some of the images of the wrecks off the reef in the Keys using it.
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    To be perfectly honest I mainly just think its cool. I fish a lot more places than just Flamingo. I am fishing Govt. Cut tomororrow and I could see an application there. I also fish/find/dive lots of shallow water wrecks in the bay. The one place I think it may really add value for me is looking for rocks and structrue in deeper water on the patch reefs.

I reallly have never used graphs much at all for fishing, but maybe this will change that.
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    It's a little learning curve, at least it was for the Lowrance but you will love it for picking out rocky bottom. They are great for telling exactly what the structure is your regular sonar is showing. To get accustomed to it, ride over some structure you have dived on previously and see how it shows it.
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    Does that require a big transducer off the back of the bird?

I fixed the pics for you in my old build thread.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Does that require a big transducer off the back of the bird?

I fixed the pics for you in my old build thread.

Thanks I am looking forward to seeing the pics.

No my understanding is that there are two thru-hull transducers. There is also a special black box needed and of course special transducers.