Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

flounder techniques?

hey guys last sat i went to choko and got a flounder and its been years since i've caught one and i was wondering what are the best ways to catch them in everglades city? best bait? structure? and best season? thanx in advance.

Replies

• 10kman10kman Posts: 832 Officer
    The flounder I catch are in 4-12ft with some moving water.Shrimp on a jig
    just heavy enough to be on bottom and moving.Flounder also love GULP.And
    yes most flounder have seen in years.
  • DBStootsDBStoots Posts: 55 Deckhand
    Caught one today west of Flamingo, in a creek. Like 10kMan says, water was moving pretty good, and I was in about 10 feet. Used a brown flats jig tipped with a piece of shrimp. It was 15".
  • sharkatak1089sharkatak1089 Posts: 6,407 Officer
    ok...

live bait.

mullet, little pinfish, or mud minnows.

from your main line, tie about 10" of 60lb mono. put on a small clear bead, a 3/4oz weight, and another small clear bead. the beads protect the knots and keep the weight from sliding over the knots. now tie about 6 " of 40lb fluoro (using line to line knot of choice). snell a 3/0 kahle hook to the end of that.

knot from main to 60
    bead
    weight
    bead
    line to line knot connecting two pieces of leader material
    snelled hook
    live bait (mullet has always been my go-to)

fish around structure and moving water between 18" and 12ft (if inshore fishing).

wait for thump
    count to 14.5
    lift slowly until you feel him swim away
    cross said flounder's eyes
    have net ready
    fillet
    I am choice.
    Please don't try to interject with reason, it only further confuses the matter.
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,570 Admiral
    Thanks Sharkatak I'm going to use that rig.
  • Snook69Snook69 Posts: 128 Deckhand
    Between 3 guys we caught about 8 flounders last month during a 5 day trip. That is pretty **** good for flounders in the 10k. Must be a good year. Most were only 10 to 12 inches. Got a few spots that i catch them with some consistency. One spot is one of the rock bars just inside Choko pass. Theres a jagged oyster bar that gives way to a sand flat on the other side. The water pushes over this bar on an incoming tide and I've caught small flounders in this spot for years. I have caught some decent ones over the years but imo there are better spots in the U.S. to catch flounders than the 10k. They are an occassional catch. Maybe there are more this year because of fewer snook?? Been a great redfish summer too. Only the fish gods know or the guys in the conservation section. Same dudes lol.
  • Snook69Snook69 Posts: 128 Deckhand
    ****! 1 minute apart posts at 3 in the am in the 10k section. I should play the lotto tonight. Good luck man. Hope ya get your flounder filets!!
    i normally use 80lb mono for the line with the weight. that way, when fishing in structure, if you get hung you can break the 40lb @ the hook (usually) and the uni to uni keeps my weight. that's basically the whole point to this slider rig.
    1. keep weights when you get broken off
    2. keeps bait close to the bottom
    I am choice.
  • tg.tg. Posts: 139 Deckhand
    I usually catch 'em offshore in about 20 feet. Shrimp on a guppy rig. It always surprises me when I get one....I never target them.
    Snook69 wrote: »
    Between 3 guys we caught about 8 flounders last month during a 5 day trip. That is pretty **** good for flounders in the 10k. Must be a good year. Most were only 10 to 12 inches. Got a few spots that i catch them with some consistency. One spot is one of the rock bars just inside Choko pass. Theres a jagged oyster bar that gives way to a sand flat on the other side. The water pushes over this bar on an incoming tide and I've caught small flounders in this spot for years. I have caught some decent ones over the years but imo there are better spots in the U.S. to catch flounders than the 10k. They are an occassional catch. Maybe there are more this year because of fewer snook?? Been a great redfish summer too. Only the fish gods know or the guys in the conservation section. Same dudes lol.

****...where i target them, we release them if they ain't 18"
    I am choice.
  • ran_d_511ran_d_511 Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    thanx guys those are some pretty good advice i definitly know that area of choko pass i was at the beach off jewel key when i caught mine.
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 832 Officer
    i normally use 80lb mono for the line with the weight. that way, when fishing in structure, if you get hung you can break the 40lb @ the hook (usually) and the uni to uni keeps my weight. that's basically the whole point to this slider rig.
    1. keep weights when you get broken off
    2. keeps bait close to the bottom
    80#leader,what are you guys from New Jersey??????