need help on live well ideas.

I run a 1995 21" extra wide Carolina Skiff. I Bought it through a retired floridian on Sanibel. There was only fifty hours used on this boat and it runs like a charm. Although recently I have discovered my live wells weren't up to par. the water flow is to heavy and the drain can't keep up, so all the exsess water floods my boat. I can stop the flow by turning the on off vowel off, but then my bait doesn't survive the runs. What do you think i should do?

Replies

• AnglerMikeAnglerMike Posts: 84 Deckhand
    Is the nozzle adjustable for the fill into the well itself? Mine is. I had the same issue. Ultimately I found that the drain itself is way too small for the flow and it will occasionally overflow. I don't keep the pump on at all times, but will fire it on for a few mins here or there while drifting or anchored, and run it while moving.
  • DarcyDarcy Posts: 1,711 Captain
    AnglerMike wrote: »
    Is the nozzle adjustable for the fill into the well itself? Mine is. I had the same issue. Ultimately I found that the drain itself is way too small for the flow and it will occasionally overflow. I don't keep the pump on at all times, but will fire it on for a few mins here or there while drifting or anchored, and run it while moving.

If its not adjustable you probably can add that. Also you might want to buy a timer for it. Search Johnson livewell timer.
    "No i'm NOT Darcizzle!":blowkiss

https://captainsforcleanwater.org
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Could your drain hose be kinked a little or does it flow directly thru the hull ? You could always make the drain hole/hose bigger... I like as much water flow as possible to keep baits alive (short of so much that it beats them up)
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • minowjoeminowjoe Posts: 717 Officer
    Could your drain hose be kinked a little or does it flow directly thru the hull ? You could always make the drain hole/hose bigger... I like as much water flow as possible to keep baits alive (short of so much that it beats them up)

X2 if you can add more holes to the drain or make it bigger
  • AnglerMikeAnglerMike Posts: 84 Deckhand
    Not sure I'd want to make any bigger holes/more holes in the boat than I absolutely need!
  • HawkboatHawkboat Posts: 1,030 Officer
    Mike I think they meant the drain itself on the well and as pointed out check the line for kinks or better yet a blockage....stick a garden hose in the hole for the drain and try blowing anything in there out..if that boat sat for a while even a bees nest could be in the line.
    Capt Bill
  • cptjoshua420cptjoshua420 Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    thanks for the responses. yes i have a ajustable vowel, and i don't have a problem keeping the bait alive and my boat dry when I'm sitting still or drifting, but when I'm running i can't control the water flow unless i turn it off. by the time i get to my destination my bait is dead. I'm thinking about buying a tank and redoing the whole set up and turning my two existing live wells into fish boxes or dry storage. or turning my stationary cooler that is mounted behind my console into one. i can use the same pump for both ideas all i would have to do is run a drain hose out the back.
  • DarcyDarcy Posts: 1,711 Captain
    thanks for the responses. yes i have a ajustable vowel, and i don't have a problem keeping the bait alive and my boat dry when I'm sitting still or drifting, but when I'm running i can't control the water flow unless i turn it off. by the time i get to my destination my bait is dead..
    you should have added this little bit of info to your first post. Lol
    "No i'm NOT Darcizzle!":blowkiss

https://captainsforcleanwater.org
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    Josh, a similar thing happens in my boat. It only occurs while running at top speed. I actually have 2 livewells on my boat and this happens on the livewell that I never use. So it is alway off but on certain trips it somehow fills itself up and overflows all into my boat. My guess is that it has something to do with weight distribution. When I bring too many of my fat meat-head friends combined with 400pounds of ice, that must sink part of the boat underwater and water backs up either through the drain or the water input itself. Perhaps consider rearranging some of the weight in the boat while running??? I just make the fattest guys sit up front.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HawkboatHawkboat Posts: 1,030 Officer
    RMD..do both wells work off of one pump and one intake? If your up an running hard and that intake is wide open you are pushing water into the well even over riding the pump, maybe that's the reason why it that happens. Lets face it running at say 25 mph or better will force its way into any opening.
    Capt Bill
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    Hawkboat wrote: »
    RMD..do both wells work off of one pump and one intake? If your up an running hard and that intake is wide open you are pushing water into the well even over riding the pump, maybe that's the reason why it that happens. Lets face it running at say 25 mph or better will force its way into any opening.

I am pretty sure they have separate pumps but I have no idea about the intakes. One day I am running wide open and someone in the back freaks out saying the boat is filling up with water. So I stop and see the large livewell tank is brimming to the top full of water and spilling over. Ends up its not a big deal at all because it all drains out and its just a little splashing. I usually ignore it since I am staying dry and its just my buddies who get wet.

Thanks for the input, though, I will look into it a little more next time. Until then I will just get a few chuckles as my crew gets splashed and freaks out thinking the boat is sinking. LOL.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SCFD rtrd.SCFD rtrd. Posts: 1,386 Officer
    Your live-well system is doing exactly what it's designed to do. The forward facing scoop under the hull or on the transom is forcing water into the system when you are on plane. That's what it's supposed to do. You need to add a shut-off or adjustable valve inside the live-wells. Keep the front live-well closed (shut-off) when not used as a live-well, then you can use it for storage or a fish box. Adjust the flow in the rear live-well so it won't overflow while in plane.
    The rule of thumb for plumbing a live-well is; the drain should be 4 times the diameter of the inlet. So, if your inlet is 3/4", the drain should be 1 1/4" to 1 1/2". My suggestion is to increase the size of the rear live-well drain, then you could run with the inlet valve fully open which would help keep bait alive, especially in hot weather.