snorkling for lobster-Marathon

jbnportjbnport Posts: 12 Greenhorn
Heading down in August to chill for a week but would like to spend a day looking for lobsters. I'm not looking for anybody's honey hole but any suggestions on some shallow water areas to look for bugs. I seem to remember years ago with my folks finding them in shallow water west of Marathon and east of big pine but any other suggestions would be welcome. Thanks

Replies

• csanderscsanders Posts: 471 Officer
    We're coming down for a few days this August too for our first time. I'll be watching this thread as well.
  • aboveboredabovebored Posts: 1,236 Officer
    Bridge pilings at slack tide.
  • niceShootniceShoot Posts: 71 Greenhorn
    Access to a boat or diving from shore?
  • Sick DaySick Day Posts: 260 Deckhand
    Head North into the Gulf at idle speed dragging someone (with snorkel gear) on a ski rope behind the boat. They should be looking for holes and coral heads holding lobster. That is the most fun and productive way to scout that area. If it gets real shallow, you can see the holes from the front of the boat in grass.
  • Endangered OutlawEndangered Outlaw Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    I would tell you but then you would be in danger of being an outlaw as well. I do not recommend it. Read all of the FCW and local regulations very carefully as they are very specific to the area you are in. No diving at night in Monroe county until a certain number of days after the start of regular season, no buggin off of privet or public property for certain number of days into regular season. I will tell you there is a very dangerous current that carries lobster in and out of snake creek in Islamorada but it also carries the rather large and abundant bull shark population in with it. also measure the cheep yellow plastic gauges they sell everywhere down there. I found out the hard way that they are sometimes not always cut to a full 3" leading you to believe you have legal lobster in your bag when you do not, and that is how you get 25 hours of community service and banned from fishing, diving for 6 months!
  • Reel TealReel Teal Posts: 3,176 Captain
    I would tell you but then you would be in danger of being an outlaw as well. I do not recommend it. Read all of the FCW and local regulations very carefully as they are very specific to the area you are in. No diving at night in Monroe county until a certain number of days after the start of regular season, no buggin off of privet or public property for certain number of days into regular season. I will tell you there is a very dangerous current that carries lobster in and out of snake creek in Islamorada but it also carries the rather large and abundant bull shark population in with it. also measure the cheep yellow plastic gauges they sell everywhere down there. I found out the hard way that they are sometimes not always cut to a full 3" leading you to believe you have legal lobster in your bag when you do not, and that is how you get 25 hours of community service and banned from fishing, diving for 6 months!
    that's the first I heard that. we've measured the gauges and they say 3 in but come out to 3 1/8 in....which means we left legals in the water....really burns your *** when you seemingly cant find a lobster to keep and everyone else has limits

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
  • csanderscsanders Posts: 471 Officer
    Are most of you guys diving for them on the Gulf side or the Atlantic?

My gut tells me we'll have better luck if we run about 10 miles out in the gulf than on the busier ocean side. I've never done it though so we'll be flying blind.
  • SnookMan772SnookMan772 Posts: 656 Officer
    i thought you couldn't take from the actual structure of a bridge anymore?
  • bitshortbitshort Posts: 243 Deckhand
    When you are running into the gulf you need to keep and eye on everglades national park boarders, and don't stop inside with lobster.
  • aboveboredabovebored Posts: 1,236 Officer
    i thought you couldn't take from the actual structure of a bridge anymore?

I did read that residential canals were now prohibited during mini season but didn't hear anything about bridges.