Home Egret Boats

cooler recommendation to sit in front of console on a 1996 189

flchacondflchacond Posts: 6 Greenhorn
just bought a 1996 189 and looking forward to getting some on hours on it. looks like one of the first things I need to buy is a cooler to sit in front of the console so I can get more sitting space. With 2 kids and wife, I think the cooler will make the boat comfortable for all to sit. On Egrets website, they have a Yeti sitting in front of the console on some of the pics. Any recommendations? thanks

Replies

• Carolina FlyCarolina Fly Posts: 71 Deckhand
    I have a 45 Yeti for mine. It just sits right there without any tie downs and has never moved around. Yetis will support your weight so you can also use it on the front deck for a casting platform.
    IMGP5486_zps4dc5a6f5.jpg
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    I went with the 65 quart yeti in my 189. Frank put sea deck on top of the lid to use as a casting platform and then had a cushion made that would fit perfectly over that for seating. I like the sea deck, cushion combo. Not sure if I would do the 65 again or not. It seems a little short to me, small water bottles can not stand up below the food tray. A lot of people get the 45 or the 50 quart. The 50 is narrower and taller. Honestly I keep looking at a 105 yeti for my multi day glades trips. It is the same width as my 65 but a few inches taller. I would like to have that and then a smaller one for when it's just me in the boat. I have a nice soft side cooler that I use a lot if it's just me in the boat but I miss being able to sit on the cooler in front of the console to rig baits.
  • flchacondflchacond Posts: 6 Greenhorn
    thanks guys for the quick response. I see from the pic that the cooler extends a bit wider than the console. It would seem that there could be some advantages and disadvantages. I probably just need to get some cheaper coolers with different sizes to first see what works best and then spend once on a quality cooler. For me, having at least the ability for either both my kids or my wife and a kid to fit would be great. I don't think I am skinny enough these days to fit on it with anyone else.
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    My 65 quart is even wider than Carolina Fly's 45. It sticks out beyond the console a good bit more and I never notice it. If you have rods in the rod tubes on the console they come out about as wide as my cooler. If you want a cooler that isn't quite as wide then take a look at the demensions of the 50 quart. It's more of a narrow, deep cooler. It would probably be too narrow for 2 people to sit on though. My 65 will accomodate two people no problem. Just like boats in general, everything is a trade off.
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    91tiger wrote: »
    I went with the 65 quart yeti in my 189. Frank put sea deck on top of the lid to use as a casting platform and then had a cushion made that would fit perfectly over that for seating. I like the sea deck, cushion combo. Not sure if I would do the 65 again or not. It seems a little short to me, small water bottles can not stand up below the food tray. A lot of people get the 45 or the 50 quart. The 50 is narrower and taller. Honestly I keep looking at a 105 yeti for my multi day glades trips. It is the same width as my 65 but a few inches taller. I would like to have that and then a smaller one for when it's just me in the boat. I have a nice soft side cooler that I use a lot if it's just me in the boat but I miss being able to sit on the cooler in front of the console to rig baits.

I have the 105. Very happy with it for all reasons mentioned.
  • silverdreamssilverdreams Posts: 234 Deckhand
    check out the Eva Kool TIB065.....it's 68.5 quarts and fits perfect in front of the console.....it's a fiberglass cooler and holds ice great.
  • FishinMcNutFishinMcNut Posts: 536 Officer
    I use one of the discontinued 60 qt fiberglass Yeti's. It's perfect size for my 18.9

edit: add that I replace it with a 120qt divided Icy Tek for camping in the 10k.
    30kf2va.jpg
  • Last-CastLast-Cast Posts: 220 Deckhand
    I have been using the Eva Kool since '99. It's held up well so far. They are made in Australia. At one point in time there was no North American distributor but I see them all the time now
    Egret 189
    Maverick 17T sold
  • mike345mike345 Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    Agree w Tundra 50 ; perfect fit, good height on 96.
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    The 50 qt. Tundra is a perfect fit.

http://www.yeticoolers.com/categories/Tundra-Series/

Hey Flatsboy, I want the 50 for my Egret 189. Frank said the height makes it tough to make the back cushion for, but I am going to ask him if it is doable. What do you think?

I guess I'm OCD but I don't like it sticking out the sides of the console. I want it to look like a seat. I have a second 65 Yeti I can use for bigger trips, plus the 50 has good capacity.
    Hey Flatsboy, I want the 50 for my Egret 189. Frank said the height makes it tough to make the back cushion for, but I am going to ask him if it is doable. What do you think?

I guess I'm OCD but I don't like it sticking out the sides of the console. I want it to look like a seat. I have a second 65 Yeti I can use for bigger trips, plus the 50 has good capacity.

Then again I think of times when the second cooler is not on the boat and I catch a nice grouper or something. But for that I'm told you can get insulated fish bags.
  • silverdreamssilverdreams Posts: 234 Deckhand
    Have you looked at the Evakool? Other than durability, it's nicer than the yeti in every way.....it's basically an affordable Frigid Rigid.
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,053 Officer

The cushion back on the console is useless with both the 50 and 65 yeti. Your back will not even rest on it when sitting there as both position you too high. On my first egret I took the cushion off and filled the holes

Fwiw, I have the 50 and 65 and like the 50 much better for 95% of my needs.
  • SpineymanSpineyman Destin, FlPosts: 8,346 Admiral
    There are many knockoffs of the yeti type. The hard shell will save you from having to replace them every other year. I have had to replace my Igloo marine cooler like that due to it cracks from using it as a seat. I will be replacing it soon with most likely a Bayou cooler.
    Kayak Rookie...and loving it.
    Fishing beautiful Destin / Ft Walton Beach area!

II Chronicles 7:14
    if My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land.

The cushion back on the console is useless with both the 50 and 65 yeti. Your back will not even rest on it when sitting there as both position you too high. On my first egret I took the cushion off and filled the holes

Fwiw, I have the 50 and 65 and like the 50 much better for 95% of my needs.

Thanks PolePosition. One question: the difference in height between the 45 (which I was told is the primary choice for the "seat" application) and the 65 is only 5/8". I'm surprised that makes the 65 unusable as a seat w/ back rest. The 50 Frank did tell me was too tall.

What do you think of the 45? I know it is small but I have a 65 and fish bags to supplement. I like the idea of keeping it lean and making it look like a seat should. IDK personally I feel having that seat up there adds something to the boat.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Sam's sells a Roto-molded (Igloo I think) Cooler that's made like a Tundra & the 50qt is $199
    Canyon Coolers also make a similar cooler for similar money... I'm not paying an extra ~$100-$200 just b/c it says YETI on it...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • lowerkeyslowerkeys Posts: 99 Greenhorn
    One thing that I have found with some of the fishing I do is that it is very functional if the cooler is strong and firm so that I can use it as additional walking space within the boat. So when I walk around the boat, I never step down to get from say the left side of the boat and around to the right. You could walk the sides to the front but I find the cooler makes a good platform to cross over. Also helps to keep yourself more inside the boat and less risk of falling off. I do this both inshore and offshore. Bc of this, I wouldn't want a cooler w a big cushion. However, I do have one of those too and it just depends on what your doing with the boat that day. If I have the family, I will use the cushioned cooler, fishing with just a friend no cushion since you can walk all over the boat.
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,053 Officer
    What LowerKeys said. When I used to bring the 65, I'd turn it coffin style. In rolling seas/heavy chop it allows you a "bail out" step if you lose balance on the gunnel.

Everybody has an opinion, but the Egret console is just not made to be a good "sit in front of" position regardless of cooler in my opinion. For one, if you don't have the windshield then the person sitting there is frequently bouncing against your plotter/recorder connections. No bueno. Secondly, it create a visual obstruction to the driver. I usually (and my kids prefer) have passengers sit against the forward bulkhead facing stern for family days/booze cruise. When fishing, I never take more than three so we all sit on the bench.

No right or wrong in approach here. Only personal preference and need.

One more thing. I much prefer the functionality of the of the 50 over the 65. Why? First, it seems to keep ice noticeably better than the 65 (before anybody chimes in, the seals are perfect on both). I think the depth of the 50 may have something to do with it. I also like that taller drinks do not interfere with the dry storage rack on the 50 (think gatorade bottles and 16oz bud light etc.). On the other hand, the 65 can be used with two top trays which is very handy for extra dry cooler space. If I had to have one for my 18'9 it would be the 50. The 45 is too small to be good at anything for me.