Home Photography Corner

first photos with the new Sigma 150-500 lens

DiehardDiehard Posts: 68 Deckhand
Finally arrived today, put it on the Nikon 7100 and took it for a test run. Photos were shot under various lighting conditions.
Still have to see what it is like under "low" light conditions.

Diehard

doe-7_zps7f8e6460.gif

doe-3_zps48fd615e.gif

doe-2_zpsb810bd46.gif

bird2_zps62fb8900.gif

Replies

• sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    Looks fine to me. Curious as to weather you are happy.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • DiehardDiehard Posts: 68 Deckhand
    So far so good. Lot of field testing to be done yet. Those photos were shot in Fine JPG format as I wanted to see how that would work.
    IS when on is noisier than my Canon lenses and also is somewhat slower focusing, but I can live with that.
    True test will be when shooting birds and in early morning light. If it operates like the one I have on my Canon 7D I'll be satisfied.

Best,

Diehard
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    they look pretty good to as well...

the big test would be shooting from a boat at a long distance...
    that will stress your IS and see how the rubber meets the road...

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
    they look pretty good to as well...

the big test would be shooting from a boat at a long distance...
    that will stress your IS and see how the rubber meets the road...

tim

I'll say it would.:grin

Diehard
  • ChuckcChuckc Posts: 4,398 Captain
    Do I understand you to say that the IS is noisier than your Cannon mount copy? I would think the guts of the lens would be the same. Sample variation maybe?
    Chuckc wrote: »
    Do I understand you to say that the IS is noisier than your Cannon mount copy? I would think the guts of the lens would be the same. Sample variation maybe?

Yes it is surprisingly, I thought it would be the same but it's not. Nothing I cannot live with though.

Diehard
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    This is the generation old version of the BIGMA, right? The results look about like expected. To my eye, the images could be sharper. Those are not OOC *.jpgs right, they have been worked?

I would encourage you to calibrate the lens to your body so you get sharper images. That will be tough to do with a super zoom.

Also you might want to consider your technique. Perhaps a bump in ISO for a shorter shutter duration would be worth considering. Remember shutter duration should be no longer than 1/focal length. (faster would be better) so at the long end that would be a duration of 1/1000 or faster.

Keep testing and post the results. If you choose to test on a monopod or tripod, please post results with the IS on and off. If you choose to write the files as *.NEFs I would like you to send me a couple, thank you. While I am on the topic, can you please revise the OP with captions of EXIF, thank you.

Edit: Here is one way to do it. I an posting this link because it is an inexpensive way and because a zoom lens is presented. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqhH2ELuCaE