Home Egret Boats

Is the Carbon Kevlar Hull Option Worth It? - Egret 189

HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
So I've read through every thread I can find on this topic, and have spoken to everyone I know with knowledge on this topic, including a few Egret 189 owners.

Most everyone says that the carbon kevlar option is not worth it, that the difference in draft, strength, or weight are imperceptible.

Does anyone have a good pro case for this option? I would hate to spend this much money and get my Egret wrong.

Replies

• trponhuntertrponhunter Posts: 249 Deckhand
    couldn't imagine it being worth it. The weights is spread out over the entire hull, so draft should not really be noticable.
    *Previous - 2000 Egret 189 carbon w/ vmax 150 - twin rotating prop
    *Previous - 2008 Egret 189 carbon w/ ETEC 150
    *Previous 2010 Beavertail Vengence w/ETEC 90
    *Current - 2015 Beavertail BTV w/ Suzuki 90
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    You'll only need it if you hit something at high speed. Kind of like life insurance for the boat. This show it was explained to me. I wonder if it helps with the resale value??
    Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
    2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado
  • FishinMcNutFishinMcNut Posts: 536 Officer
    Flip side: it is lighter. Adds resale. Added zoot factor and those sexy as he!! hatch lids
  • cairotroutcairotrout Georgia Posts: 159 Deckhand
    I like mine but then again I like Bad Behaviors too
    The hatches on Cairo Trouts are sweet! If I just had crazy extra money or could find an awesome deal like he did, I'd get the CK too!

• polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,053 Officer
    The hatches on Cairo Trouts are sweet! If I just had crazy extra money or could find an awesome deal like he did, I'd get the CK too!

I had mine built with a C/K hull and a glass liner and cap deck. My thoughts were I get the hull strength where it matters for less than half the total C/K boat cost.
  • Reel nutReel nut Posts: 33 Deckhand
    My question is why would you spend the money to get an Egret and NOT get the C/K??? That's like getting a sports car with a 4 bander under the hood, If you're going to do it, then do it right. ;)
    Didn't want to say this because it was on a previous boat, not an Egret, but I had issues with the CK delaminating. I chose not to go with it for this reason. But again, it wasn't on an Egret.

• HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    Reel nut wrote: »
    My question is why would you spend the money to get an Egret and NOT get the C/K??? That's like getting a sports car with a 4 bander under the hood, If you're going to do it, then do it right. ;)

I hear you. However it only affects the draft a 1/4 of an inch. It's $6,000. I'm not paying that for a sticker and hatches, even though they do look cool.

On strength, not sure its stronger. From what I read it accomplishes the same stength with less material, hence the weight savings. I'm not an expert but thats what I've read. I've yet to talk to one owner that asserts a noticable difference in practical application.

I'm putting the money into other options that are right for me. But hey, it does look cool.
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    Reel nut wrote: »

The older Lotus Esprit owners would take issue with that. The cylinders in those motors are more than twice the size of the cylinders on the later model 8 cylinder motors and for many of the cars had virtually the same acceleration and performance as the 8 cylinder motors. The analogy you made as it relates to vehicles could be better described as getting a Lambo 10 cylinder vs. 12 cylinder. They both work awesome and most would say getting the 10 cylinder is more than doing it right compared to most cars. If you are on a budget and trying to move up, spending the extra funds for some peace of mind for the highly unlikely scenario where the CK may be needed in the event of a catastrophic impact is foolish. The glass model is totally solid and will last a life time.
    The older Lotus Esprit owners would take issue with that. The cylinders in those motors are more than twice the size of the cylinders on the later model 8 cylinder motors and for many of the cars had virtually the same acceleration and performance as the 8 cylinder motors. The analogy you made as it relates to vehicles could be better described as getting a Lambo 10 cylinder vs. 12 cylinder. They both work awesome and most would say getting the 10 cylinder is more than doing it right compared to most cars. If you are on a budget and trying to move up, spending the extra funds for some peace of mind for the highly unlikely scenario where the CK may be needed in the event of a catastrophic impact is foolish. The glass model is totally solid and will last a life time.

Agree!!
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer

I agree also!
    Amazing isn't it! :grin
  • camgcicamgci Posts: 190 Deckhand
    Like everythig else, it all boils down to money and what you can afford. I have had both, and if I was buying a new one, I would spend the $6000.00 on other options. I do like the hatches, and get a lot of comments on them.
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    camgci wrote: »
    Like everythig else, it all boils down to money and what you can afford. I have had both, and if I was buying a new one, I would spend the $6000.00 on other options. I do like the hatches, and get a lot of comments on them.

It's not always about what people can afford. It is surely a factor for many including the original poster who has a budget and looking to move up. For some, CK may be just a status thing. For others, perhaps a different motivation not related to affordability. Options are never a bad thing. Some people have a ordered a glass hull and the CK cap. That makes more sense for some. Warren Buffet still lives in the same small house he bought from decades ago but flies around in a private $30mm jet. Sam Walton used to drive around in a pick up truck and located the Walmart corp. offices out in the boonies with a C quality tenant build out. Some really smart and wealthy people are more about quality, functionality and practicality. But everyone has their vices and preferences. I'll buy several $600 spinning reels (when a simple stradic would do fine) because I just like fishing the best for the short period of time I do fish but I hate to spend more than $100 on a pair of shoes and buy jeans and belts at Costco for about $25. CK is a great option for some and for others not worth it to them. I wouldn't buy it for $6k. But then again I would purchase a 12 cylinder vehicle (with CK) to drive a couple of times per month. The free market and options are always a great thing and if a CK boat makes a person happy I say you only live once. So it's worth it for many and for others it's not worth it even if they can afford it.
  • FishinMcNutFishinMcNut Posts: 536 Officer
    Glenn, we think alike...
    It's not always about what people can afford. It is surely a factor for many including the original poster who has a budget and looking to move up. For some, CK may be just a status thing. For others, perhaps a different motivation not related to affordability. Options are never a bad thing. Some people have a ordered a glass hull and the CK cap. That makes more sense for some. Warren Buffet still lives in the same small house he bought from decades ago but flies around in a private $30mm jet. Sam Walton used to drive around in a pick up truck and located the Walmart corp. offices out in the boonies with a C quality tenant build out. Some really smart and wealthy people are more about quality, functionality and practicality. But everyone has their vices and preferences. I'll buy several $600 spinning reels (when a simple stradic would do fine) because I just like fishing the best for the short period of time I do fish but I hate to spend more than $100 on a pair of shoes and buy jeans and belts at Costco for about $25. CK is a great option for some and for others not worth it to them. I wouldn't buy it for $6k. But then again I would purchase a 12 cylinder vehicle (with CK) to drive a couple of times per month. The free market and options are always a great thing and if a CK boat makes a person happy I say you only live once. So it's worth it for many and for others it's not worth it even if they can afford it.

"Just because you have the money doesn't mean you have to give it away".
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer

I agree with Glen 100% Again!

:thumbsup
  • camgcicamgci Posts: 190 Deckhand
    Wow, I guess I should have been more specific. I was just offering a opinion to the poster on whether or not the CK was worth the extra $6000.00 if money was a concern, not necessarily what house Warren Buffet should buy.
  • mbowersmbowers Posts: 496 Deckhand
    If you do go with C/K either demand a better method of securing the poling platform top or get a glass top. Otherwise if you don't inspect the C/K platform before every trip, at some point you may well look in the rearview and watch your C/K platform top fly away on the turnpike.

I thought it was worth it on both boats I purchased.