Home Egret Boats

And..... To pick your brains once more!!

Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
Ok, so here's the scoop. My fish boxes on either side of the aft live well are connected to one of the main drains. The drain with the smaller hose to be exact. My starboard box will not drain unless I "prime" it by sticking a water hose in the outside drain and flushing water back into the well. Then when it gets two about a half inch, the water just sits in the drain hose and leaves about half inch standing in the well. It is above the lip of the drain so it should by theory drain into the hose and out the back. The port side drains well. Any ideas??? I'm sure it's something I'm doing incorrectly. I looked with a flashlight to be sure the valve was open all the way. I can flush water from the top out the drain and from the drain back into the box. However, as stated, when it get down to about a half inch, the water sits in the tube like the drain has closed, which I know it has not because the valve is still open. Any theories??? Sorry for all the questions! I really love my new bird and just trying to get the small kinks worked out!
Need a little time off...For Bad Behavior....

2014 Egret 2011 /Yamaha 250 SHO - sold
2019 Pathfinder 2500 hybrid 350 Verado

Replies

• 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    Is the drain hose higher than the bottom of the well in any place where it runs. I'm not as familiar with the plumbing on the 20'11". Have you stuck the hose into the drain from inside the box and tried to blow it out that way, instead of blowing water back into the well? I guess it could be some sort of blockage in the line. My Dad's pathfinder floor drains will drain slow occasionally and usually blowing water through with the hose will help. Very strange.
  • Bad behaviorBad behavior Posts: 1,162 Officer
    I have not checked the hose height. Will do tomorrow. I have blown it out both ways but it still seems to catch an air lock or vacuum from the other hose maybe? I agree. Strange. I will check the height of the hose all the way down.

• Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer
    It should just drain. There are two valves. One for the live well and the other for both of the boxes to the left and right of the live well. There is no trick that I know of. They can get air locked. Its not like house plumbing where there is an atmospheric vent.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
    So is there a solution to this air lock??

• FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    I always keep the plugs in inside the hatches. They are dry storage for me. Did you use one as a fish box yet?
    Just wondering if there is something stuck near the tee fitting?
    Did you put a snake in it and see it there was any obstruction or kink in the hose by the fitting? Does the water flow out easily when you blast it out with a hose?
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    It should just drain. There are two valves. One for the live well and the other for both of the boxes to the left and right of the live well. There is no trick that I know of. They can get air locked. Its not like house plumbing where there is an atmospheric vent.

After reading about these problems over the last year in some of the newer boats with well hatch leaks in the after market patch, air locks problems in the well plumbing, gas vent leak problems, etc., fixing up the older original boats built in Miami continue to look like a great option to me. I have never had any of those issues. As far as Carbon K vs. Glass, for $5k more, I think it is not worth it if cost is a meaningful concern. It's not going to draft any substantive difference having CK and the glass is very strong and will last a lifetime. The original glass boats have never had any issues and still take a beating.
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer

OK I can do this...It's not Rocket Surgery. Water will always find it's level. So you have a hose that has a loop or a hump along the path. When the water level is even with the loop or hump, it stops flowing. So the hump or loop is what is keeping the rest of the water in the compartment from draining all the way.
    After reading about these problems over the last year in some of the newer boats with well hatch leaks in the after market patch, air locks problems in the well plumbing, gas vent leak problems, etc., fixing up the older original boats built in Miami continue to look like a great option to me. I have never had any of those issues. As far as Carbon K vs. Glass, for $5k more, I think it is not worth it if cost is a meaningful concern. It's not going to draft any substantive difference having CK and the glass is very strong and will last a lifetime. The original glass boats have never had any issues and still take a beating.

The only issue with the older boats was parts. We had 29 different molds to build the boat you and I have. That puts a lot of time into the build process, plus a lot of time was also wasted in moving these parts during the build. The new 18 reduced many of these parts, and the new shop also stream lined the construction process. Making it possible to build more than 1 boat a week. As an added benefit the hatches don't pop up when you step on the backside of the deck hatches and they don't creek. My boat is old, hell everything I own is old. But everything works.

On a separate note I had dinner with Scott and Mary a couple of weeks ago. They are doing great!

Tight lines and a Toast to all the old boats...Pete
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,234 Officer

You would have to add another opening/hose connector in the top part of the compartment and run it to a T in the plumbing right after it leaves the compartment in the bottom. This would eliminate any air lock. Did you make sure there were no scales in the valve or hose ? Blow it out with compressed air before adding a vent.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
    i have not blown it out with any thing but water but i have a 10 hp well and substantial water pressure. Im kinda on the same path as Pete. Probably a rise in the hose somewhere. May need to check it and shorten the hose a bit if necessary. I have no idea about the gas cap issues because mine is flawless. I dont have an issue with the minor adjustment things that i have on my boat as they are small annoyances more than problems and can be fixed by me. I have as fine of a semi custom craft as there is on the water and wouldnt take two of any other brand in its place. I dont care what kind of boat you purchase new, and I have purchased every boat but one that Ive owned, as new, you will have some minor tweaking that needs to take place. Show me one that doesnt and Ill be impressed. I ordered my boat and rushed Frank on the build because I had a small window of opportunity to go pick it up. He delivered it in a little more than 6 weeks and was putting the finishing touches on it when i arrived. Therefore, If I have to make an adjustment here and there, I dont have a problem with it. Had I have given him an extra week, being closer to the 8 weeks he originally quoted, Im sure he would have had all the bugs worked out for me, maybe not, really doesnt matter. I simply ask on here to tweak my knowledge of this fine vessel from the owners with more experience. And, I do appreciate the helpful input!

91tiger wrote: »
    Is the drain hose higher than the bottom of the well in any place where it runs. I'm not as familiar with the plumbing on the 20'11". Have you stuck the hose into the drain from inside the box and tried to blow it out that way, instead of blowing water back into the well? I guess it could be some sort of blockage in the line. My Dad's pathfinder floor drains will drain slow occasionally and usually blowing water through with the hose will help. Very strange.

The hose from the bottom of the well to the "T" on the main hose was higher than the bottom of the well. Problem solved. Drains very good now! A wise man once told me....Water runs down hill.... That bastid was right!!

The hose from the bottom of the well to the "T" on the main hose was higher than the bottom of the well. Problem solved. Drains very good now! A wise man once told me....Water runs down hill.... That bastid was right!!

Water runs downhill and SHAIT flows down hill...
    :thumbsup