Home Egret Boats

Colored Hull vs. Plain White

HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
We've talked a lot about colors. I've settled in Ice Blue.

What about no color? Is this better in the long run? Does the factory boat cover cover the hull sides? I hope so.

Planning to build a building but wanted to know from members of the family how the colors hold up over time.

Replies

• Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    Correction...Colored Hull vs. Egret White.

I have a 19 year old boat. The hull still shines.
  • camgcicamgci Posts: 190 Deckhand
    I buffed out my 25 yr old white hull and it shined like new.
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 555 Officer
    Ride down a residential canal with tons of boats on lifts. You will quickly answer which one holds up best over time...white. Nothing is a close second. But if you can keep it completely out of the sun in a building the light blues, sea foam greens, and yellows will probably hold up very well. With a dark color, be prepared to be doing a bunch of work to keep it looking new.
    camgci wrote: »
    I buffed out my 25 yr old white hull and it shined like new.

What make boat is that?
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    91tiger wrote: »
    Ride down a residential canal with tons of boats on lifts. You will quickly answer which one holds up best over time...white. Nothing is a close second. But if you can keep it completely out of the sun in a building the light blues, sea foam greens, and yellows will probably hold up very well. With a dark color, be prepared to be doing a bunch of work to keep it looking new.

So true. If its going to be out in the elements and not completely covered, the colors will begin to fade slowly in the suns radiation. I have seen this with all the boats on the canals in the keys that are kept outdoors. All are faded and after several years it gets very noticeable. Does not make a difference given the make or model. I have seen tons of them from a faded sea foam colored egret 18 to a faded yellow yellowfin 34. And some get faded more on one side than the other due to the higher exposure on a one side depending on the slip location. I would go with the white if that is the case. If it is to be kept covered in a garage etc., most of the year, then get the color or your choice. The lighter colors are much easier to keep looking great compared to dark colors. So if you are a weekend warrior you should not have any problems with fading if you store your boat inside and keep it waxed.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,390 Officer
    I was never a fan of dark colors. They are hard to maintain!
    Lighter colors like Ice blue Sea foam light gray are better.
    I've had two Egret white hulls. Very easy to take care of doesn't show scratches and nick like darker colors. Also resale is easier when you have a white hull.Unless the buyer is looking for that personalized color especially the dark ones!

I would request that the boat cover comes down the sides all the way to the chine and also make sure it is reinforced at all stress points never assume that is what your getting!
    Also with or without trolling motor on the boat depending on how you will store it!
    Also a light color cover material is best for heat!
  • everglades daneverglades dan Posts: 39 Greenhorn
    I have a red pathfinder that's 8 years old and shines like the day I brought her home and put her inside .
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    I have a red pathfinder that's 8 years old and shines like the day I brought her home and put her inside .

Inside is the key. Put it on a lift or unsheltered trailer outside in KW for 18 mos uncovered and it would be a different story.
  • cairotroutcairotrout Georgia Posts: 159 Deckhand
    Fighting Lady yellow!
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    I like the ease of maintenance of the white hull, but I do think the colored hulls make the premium boat look the part. I agree with the light hull color.

I am confirming with Frank that the cover goes all the way down the hull. I also plan to build a shelter with walls to protect the boat.

Let me ask this question: down the road if the color fades terribly what is the process of repairing it? Can the color be removed? Does it have to be reapplied?
    I like the ease of maintenance of the white hull, but I do think the colored hulls make the premium boat look the part. I agree with the light hull color.

I am confirming with Frank that the cover goes all the way down the hull. I also plan to build a shelter with walls to protect the boat.

Let me ask this question: down the road if the color fades terribly what is the process of repairing it? Can the color be removed? Does it have to be reapplied?

You could always buff the hull and non-skid area parts with a light buffing compound and follow up with a wax. (3M makes these poducts) th The non-skid can be spray painted like Frank A. does today. You have a long way to go before you get to that point.