Home Egret Boats

Experience w/ Egret 167 Poling, Ride, Space

HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
Any 167 owners want to weigh in? The walkthrough video shows it poles well. I imagine the hull slap is still an issue.

What has been your experience?

Replies

• Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    The 16 pole very easy. It tracks very well and pivots very well too. It has the same entry, so it too creates a push. It too has the same reverse chine for a dry ride. But the hull slap is not as pronounced. The 18 drafts the same or less than the 16....Pete
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    The 18 drafts the same or less than the 16....Pete

They advertise the 16 drafting 1 to 2 inches less than the 18. But I would suppose its mostly a function of the power. There is a big difference (at least a couple of inches) in draft between putting a 2 stroke 175 or a 4 stroke on an 18 and the much smaller and lighter motors. So perhaps an 18 with a 140 will draft the same as a 16 with similar power.
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,086 Officer
    They advertise the 16 drafting 1 to 2 inches less than the 18. But I would suppose its mostly a function of the power. There is a big difference (at least a couple of inches) in draft between putting a 2 stroke 175 or a 4 stroke on an 18 and the much smaller and lighter motors. So perhaps an 18 with a 140 will draft the same as a 16 with similar power.

I don't think you can get a new 2 stroke yamaha 90 anymore. That was the lightest power for the 16, when I was selling them. I want to say 286 lbs. The 16 won't really perform well with less power. There's only about 150 lbs.difference between the 16 and the 18. The 18 has more beam too. They are not the same boat cut down or streched. You have to remember that the 16 and 18 were designed when 2 strokes dominated the outboard market.

I didn't mention space before. But the 16 Egret has more than enough storage space. I've seen other builders 18' boats that don't have the space a 16 Egret has.
  • HeartNShoalHeartNShoal Posts: 937 Officer
    As far as I am concerned this thread is dead. The 189 is way too versatile for me to consider the 167.

I am committing to the 189 and moving forward.

RMc