Boarding ladder for Hewes

ghostdancerghostdancer Posts: 14 Greenhorn
I have a 95' 18' redfisher that I've had since new. My wife would like to have a boarding ladder for those snorkeling days. What are my options? I can't get to the transom due to liners in my back hatches. (I don't want to cut holes in them to get there) I was thinking about some type of clamping device that will grip the gunnels and then hang over the side. Any thoughts? If you've done anything ingenious, post a picture. Thanks

Replies

• FS DanFS Dan Posts: 2,351 Moderator
    aside from it being tradition, theres nothing that says a ladder must be mounted to the transom. They make several different mounts for the Armstrong an Garelick style dive ladders. You could place the mount on the side of the boat an stow the ladder. I've also mounted brackets on the bows of larger boats. Its especially useful for the sandbar and Island hopping.

Its also common for the mounts to use lag bolts. I snapped a ladder, taking off with it down, that didn't break the mount using lag bolts.
    So while thru bolting is obviously preferred, because of the thickness of the transom, Lags can be used.

CMD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • FlatsFrenzyFlatsFrenzy Posts: 893 Officer
    West Marine carries some rope style ladders. I picked one up for my wife and daughters so they can get a step up when we beach the flats boat.
    -
    Chris
    Gulf Coast of FL
    @flatsfrenzy #flyonly #onelessspinrod
  • beyondhelpbeyondhelp Posts: 392 Deckhand
    I think I am going to get one of these for my 19 Redfisher. No extra holes, not much in the way either. http://www.thmarine.com/products/Outboard-Jack-Plates/Jack-Plate-Ladders/TWIST-STEP-Emergency-Jack-Plate-Ladder

EBL-1-emergency-boarding-jack-plate-ladder-DOWN-position-500.jpg
    John.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ghostdancerghostdancer Posts: 14 Greenhorn
    beyondhelp wrote: »
    I think I am going to get one of these for my 19 Redfisher. No extra holes, not much in the way either. http://www.thmarine.com/products/Outboard-Jack-Plates/Jack-Plate-Ladders/TWIST-STEP-Emergency-Jack-Plate-Ladder

EBL-1-emergency-boarding-jack-plate-ladder-DOWN-position-500.jpg

Does that look like it will clear the trim tab?
    Mine has built in tabs so it will clear. Here's the demo video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWiWxlIgK-g
    John.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    for a flats boat, that's perfect, had to watch the video before I realized it attached with the engine bolts.
    does it come with a spacer for the opposite side of the engine?

CMD
    Formerly Catmandew
    I think it would be perfect. I don't have one yet so I can't comment on what is included. It is on my list after the gps so it will be a bit before I end up with one. Maybe later this summer. I am taking donations, someone could send me one and I'll tell everyone how well it works.
    John.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • haydenfox!#$haydenfox!#$ Posts: 2,373 Captain
    The engine has to be unbolted to install it? :willynilly
  • Alvin AAlvin A Posts: 315 Deckhand
    Weld-Craft 1656 Tunnel, Yamaha F70, Garmin 547xs.
    Alvin A

Thanks for posting that picture. I just ordered one. iboats.com had the best price.
    Cool can't wait to see how it works.
    John.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,067 Officer
    I think it would be perfect. I don't have one yet so I can't comment on what is included. It is on my list after the gps so it will be a bit before I end up with one. Maybe later this summer. I am taking donations, someone could send me one and I'll tell everyone how well it works.

You sound like a fishing guide...
    Hah! Seems like they get all sorts of cool stuff.
    John.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Saltwater JunkieSaltwater Junkie Posts: 1,067 Officer
    Hah! Seems like they get all sorts of cool stuff.

Sometimes you do, they all want you to use their product and promote it. That's how it works. To me, my credability is very important.
    I always looked at like this, If I didn't believe in the product I wouldn't accept it. If someone gives you a sandwich, you're sorta committed to say it's good. But if you paid for it, you can say it sucks.

It's interesting how many guides are telling you how great a product is this year and then next year they are promoting some other brand as the best.
    Well I received my boarding ladder yesterday, 7-7-14. Two problems. 1) the top of the verticle round tube will hit my rub rail next to the engine. 2) My polling platform. With the ladder installed, you will not be able to board the boat without going around the polling platform. It's going back to Iboats and bac to the drawing board.
  • fishtrapperfishtrapper Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    ghost dancer I have this set up on my East Cape Vantage and it works great. You can use the poling platform as a handle to help you get into the boat and the ladder is super strong. I know you did not want to cut holes in the bucket but this set up does work great. I am guessing you would have to cut a small hole in the bucket to mount the bracket.
    fishtrapper, that's cool. I've used most of the different mounts but hadn't seen the collapsible center shaft dive ladder.
    Is that from garelick, eez-in, Armstrong, windline or some new manufacturer?

CMD
    Formerly Catmandew
  • GrizGriz Palm Beach Gardens, FloridaPosts: 9,783 Admin
    My wife has trouble getting out with the two step ladder configurations because the first step is so high and she is short. I went with a three step and it is a lot easier to get up.
    The early bird may get the worm, but the Second Mouse gets the cheese. SW

:Griz
  • fishtrapperfishtrapper Posts: 20 Greenhorn
    CMD the ladder is a Garelick ladder. I did a bunch of research trying to find the right ladder for the skiff and when I looked at this one I knew it would be the best set up. They make a 3 and a 4 step ladder in this set-up.
    Wow lots of options. I think for now I'll keep using the seal wallowing on an iceberg method. Not pretty but cost effective. At least until I rebuild my supply of fun tickets. :)
    John.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I do the seal on the deck route. My wife has two large pleasure sacks that get in the way, for her not me! I think I may look at that Garelick ladder.
    I'm 6'4" and had a 4 step on my last boat. when anchored up in a chop with the boat bouncing it was nice to float up to the boat and have an easy first step just to get into the same rhythm as the boat before trying to climb up. Its a shame its not the kick up style bracket. my first ladder was a fixed mount 3-step, the replacement 4-step used a breakaway mount.

CMD
    Formerly Catmandew