Home General Fishing

Van Staal VM275

PHOTOPHOTO Posts: 145 Officer
Anyone own one of these?

Looking to get some feedback as I'm about to order one. How does it compare to a Torque S7?

Replies

• The DaveThe Dave Posts: 486 Deckhand
    I don't think it is watertight like the more expensive VS or Zeabaas reels. I think the Torque spinners are waterproof as well. I'm sure it's a nice reel, but just not waterproof like their other reels.
    I'll think of something witty to put here.....
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Alan Hawk is THE MAN... He was NOT Impressed... I'd absolutely get a Torque instead...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • PHOTOPHOTO Posts: 145 Officer
    Yea I'm not going to be catching stripers in Marathon. Not really concerned with all that sealed noise.

Just wanted to hear some feedback from any owners out there that have actually fished the reel for its intended purpose, offshore pelagic applications. All that is available online are videos made by tackle stores trying to sell the reel.

Not really a fan of that Alan Hawk guy, every reel is a POS in his eyes. Dude is an elitist hater.
  • The DaveThe Dave Posts: 486 Deckhand
    Just read that Alan Hawk review, looks like it ,ay be watertight
    I'll think of something witty to put here.....
    Alan Hawk is THE MAN... He was NOT Impressed... I'd absolutely get a Torque instead...

He praised the Accurate TwinSpin in one review HARD, when I know several people that have had them fail on them.
    I stopped taking him seriously when he claimed that the VM looked like a testicular growth. He clearly has his biases.
  • reel stamasreel stamas Posts: 6,153 Admiral
    Enjoy your new $600 Chinese reel...
    There should be NO Commercial Fishing for any fish species considered 'Over-fished' , 'Undergoing Overfishing' or Subject to Recreational Seasons, Limits, or Closures... Game Fish Status IS the Answer !!!
  • waldnerrwaldnerr Posts: 1,030 Officer
    PHOTO wrote: »
    He praised the Accurate TwinSpin in one review HARD, when I know several people that have had them fail on them.

Hawk also mentioned that the original TwinSpins were a joke. Read the beginning and the end of his Torque review.

He pointed out some problems with the early Torques; Penn responded by re-designing a few parts on the reels and the newer Torque spinners - especially the 9 - are improved as a result. I have a Torque 9 (along with a 5 and a 7) and Penn upgraded my reel for free. You may not like what he has to say but, if there's a weak spot in a reel's design, he'll likely find and mention it. Also, his reviews are always based in part on actual use; he field tests each reel before pulling it apart and examining the design and engineering.
  • livelifelivelife Posts: 262 Deckhand
    hi did u ever get your reel if not i have a van staal vs275 silver bailess only used 2x for 650 shipped thanks