Home Off Topic

AC question for the guru's.

Jbooth5678Jbooth5678 Posts: 128 Officer
Can an older model LCD TV placed a few feet from the thermostat cause the unit to continuously run and not maintain the set temperature? Just moved into a new house and the thermostat is in the living room next to the only cable outlet. I set the tv up and noticed the AC runs all day and does not cycle on and off.

Thanks.

Replies

• Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,628 Admiral
    I'm not an AC guy, but my new thermostat can detect my body heat from a few feet away. So yes, I would bet your tv could be causing you issues.
    Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
  • jad1097jad1097 Posts: 9,611 Admiral
    I doubt it. Put a thermometer on the other side of the room to measure the difference in temp. If it were the TV causing the t-stat to read higher then all other rooms would be noticeably colder than that room.

Mine had the same issue but yesterday I sealed the leaking ducts and all is well today.

I am not an a/c guy.;)
  • INTREPID377INTREPID377 Posts: 3,737 Captain
    If it's directly under the thermostat, then yes......but only if you leave it on all day. Otherwise, I'm guessing your AC isn't adequate to cool your house. Either it's low on freon or undersized or you have the thermostat set too low.
    If it's directly under the thermostat, then yes......but only if you leave it on all day. Otherwise, I'm guessing your AC isn't adequate to cool your house. Either it's low on freon or undersized or you have the thermostat set too low.

or leaky ducts or dirty coils or dirty filter, ect...:blahblah:blahblah:blahblah
  • Jbooth5678Jbooth5678 Posts: 128 Officer
    jad1097 wrote: »
    I doubt it. Put a thermometer on the other side of the room to measure the difference in temp. If it were the TV causing the t-stat to read higher then all other rooms would be noticeably colder than that room.

Mine had the same issue but yesterday I sealed the leaking ducts and all is well today.

I am not an a/c guy.;)

Im thinking its the TV the walls and windows in the room measured 70-75 degrees with a laser thermometer but the wall the TV is on read 84 degrees and the TV itself read 95 degrees.
  • S.S.TupperwareS.S.Tupperware Posts: 1,057 Officer
    You need a Thermographer... I think I know one...
    Change the cooling fluid in the TV and wall then

or move the t-stat or tv. I'm only an electrician though
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,337 Admiral
    Simple really. Place a thermometer on your t stat, then check the room temp at the return. If it is greater at the stat, then the heat load from your tv is faking out your t stat.. my son has the same problem and he knows better.
  • Jbooth5678Jbooth5678 Posts: 128 Officer
    AC Man wrote: »
    Simple really. Place a thermometer on your t stat, then check the room temp at the return. If it is greater at the stat, then the heat load from your tv is faking out your t stat.. my son has the same problem and he knows better.

Thanks I'll give it a try today.
  • optimistic Angleroptimistic Angler Posts: 626 Officer
    If it was just the heat from the TV then the house would be to cold and you would turn the temp. up.
    You said the A/C runs all day and does cycle on and off (you know it's summer right) The A/C is supposed to run all day in the summer.
    You just moved into a new house, have someone service your system to make sure it's working right.
  • PolarPolar Lake WorthPosts: 22,464 AG
    if I get one more effin call today about my power bill is too high or my house wont go below 70, Im gonna lose it....
  • ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 7,048 Admiral
    Polar wrote: »
    if I get one more effin call today about my power bill is too high or my house wont go below 70, Im gonna lose it....

Ring, ring, Hi, my AC runs all day driving my bill up and my house won't cool. Can you help me?

Sent from my KFJWA using Tapatalk
    Deo Vindice
    Yes, call Coldair
  • Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,628 Admiral
    I just read this on the FPL site: "At approximately $100, FPL’s total typical customer bill in 2014 is expected to be lower than any other current 1,000-kWh residential bill in Florida and significantly lower than the state and national averages, which are currently in the range of $124 to $126." How do I get on of these $100 or even a $126 bill?
    Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
    turn your air off