Skip to main content
Home Panhandle General Fishing & The Outdoors

Worms in trout

My brother and I went fishing in St Joe Bay Friday and caught four trout. When I started filleting these fish every one of them had white worms in the flesh. My question is do 100% the trout in this area have these worms? I own a place in that area and just started doing some inshore fishing there since the red snapper season got messed up. I live in Ga as well and the trout on the Ga coast dont have these worms. Trout are one of my favorite to eat fish, but I just do not beleive I can enjoy eating them knowing they have worms in them.

Replies

• Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,193 Admiral
    I can honestly say I've never seen a worm in a trout in St. Andrews' Bay. Couple times with large amberjack and a few red grouper off shore but that's been it. Seems to be conducive to warm sea temps. I quit fishing for trout in the SW years ago because of the worms but non so far around here.
  • Red FishRed Fish Posts: 1,163 Officer
    Split Shot wrote: »
    I can honestly say I've never seen a worm in a trout in St. Andrews' Bay. Couple times with large amberjack and a few red grouper off shore but that's been it. Seems to be conducive to warm sea temps. I quit fishing for trout in the SW years ago because of the worms but non so far around here.

My experience has been 50-50 regarding worms in trout in this area.
    Genesis 27:3 - Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
  • DemonDemon Posts: 227 Deckhand
    Worms very common in trout. Especially in summer months. Cut them out if it bothers you. They just disappear when you cook the fillets. They pose no danger when eaten. I fish from Carabelle to Keaton Beach & I rarely catch a trout that doesn't have worms. Here's a good link to an article on the life cycle of the worms: http://www.cfecf.com/Parasites.htm
    Red Fish wrote: »
    My experience has been 50-50 regarding worms in trout in this area.

WOW That's a LOT of worms! As many as I was seeing down S. I guess I've been very fortunate so far.
  • T GREENET GREENE Posts: 25 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the replies,I just dont beleive I could get the thought out of my head.I do not believe in wasting so I will fish for something else and give them a try again in cooler weather.
  • mustang190mustang190 Posts: 10,104 AG
    I'm with splitshot, I have never seen worms in specks around here, even in St Joe. Caught a couple specks yesterday for dinner and both were clean.
  • RedhunterRedhunter Posts: 435 Deckhand
    I would say the 50-50 is about correct. They do appear more when the weather warms up. I generally get in there and pull them out. If I miss an occasional few then they get eaten. I sear the fish so they cook up in the meat. I would not worry about it.
    Once had a co worker which had a problem with a tape worm hanging from the back side!
  • FlashFlash Posts: 12,264 AG
    Think of it as extra protein. :grin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,858 Moderator
    a few red grouper off shore but that's been it.

Only a FEW? You kiddin' me? I've never caught one w/out a handful, at least not up here. Have shot a few in the keys that were worm free, but not many of them.

As far as trout go... I've only caught / cleaned a few outside of St Andrews Bay. Have cleaned countless out of here. Either none of mine over the past 25 years of fishing have had the worms, or I'm over looking. I suspect it's the latter based off yall's coments. I also suspect that I'll look more closely nest time. Lastly... I suspect that if I do fine some, it won't bother me one bit.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
    I've only caught an unmeasurable fraction of the red grouper that you have. Caught a few 12-16"er in the bay by accident.

If I ever catch a fish with a worm...I'll post up.
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,858 Moderator
    I've only caught an unmeasurable fraction of the red grouper that you have. Caught a few 12-16"er in the bay by accident.

If I ever catch a fish with a worm...I'll post up.

How do you know if the 12 inchers had worms? ;-) Just playin'

Speaking of red grouper in the bay... as a kid I used to catch a LOT of them on the grass flats while trout fishing. I mean like one every other trip around the cove area. Around any structure in the bay you could pull one or two juvis off it. Has not been like that for a lont time. However, I have been catching one or two in my choffer traps every so often the past couple years. Has got to be a good sign.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 2,228 Captain
    I don't fish for trout much here, but the few I have caught, about 50/50 had worms. Worms in trout aren't as obvious as those in red grouper, as the ones in red grouper are black and are shaped like grubs, so are easily detected, but those in trout are skinny and white. Almost look like little pieces of string in the flesh. As has been mentioned, they can be removed if you like, but it ain't the end of the world if you miss a few
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • Dawgfish71Dawgfish71 Posts: 41 Deckhand
    Its amazing what 350 degrees will do to those worms!