Home Off Topic

Prestressed Beam Competition

WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
Some of you know I guest lecture at UNF, occasionally. One of the student from a class I lecture sent me the video at the link. I thought you fellers would like it.

It shows the beam design the students came up with for the 2014 prestressed beam competition. Ya, I know us civil engineers are exciting folks. The video also shows some of the big lab toys we get to play with.

Anyway, the basic parameters of the event are the beam has to weigh less than x pounds per foot and the competition is to see which beam can carry the most. Basically the competition is about: concrete design, design of the beam cross-section and steel placement within the beam.

In the video - the concrete beam deflects over 4-inches before ultimate failure - impressive for such a short beam. In the video is the term "kips." A "kip" is one thousand pounds.

Enjoy the 3-minute show. >> https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0ze7rGsxySsR1ZiRGpudW03dEk/edit

Edit: Oh, and if you have young one, please show them the video, to show how that boring science and math class are applied in the real world. Thanks.

Replies