New To Fly Fishing . Need Help For 1st Fly Rod Reel Combo !

jaredman1000jaredman1000 Posts: 196 Officer
Hi im new to the world of fly fishing . Im a really good inshore fishermen for snook , trout ,ect. with spinning tackle I thought I Would try something new because I see sick videos of fly snook fishing on youtube . Now I do have some back round experience of fly fishing in the back yard with those Wal-Mart Combos that only cast 5 feet for baby bass . I know im looking for a 8 weight fly rod but I want some that can cast a fly a long ways ! Also I have no idea what kinda line and reel I should get . please help !

Thanks ,Tight Lines:fishing
Native WaterCraft Redfish 14

Replies

• jaredman1000jaredman1000 Posts: 196 Officer
    Also my price range is $200
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,322 Captain
    Redington path 8wt combo. Comes with line & backing.
  • jaredman1000jaredman1000 Posts: 196 Officer
    Can I cast this more then 20 feet ?

Redington path 8wt combo. Comes with line & backing.
  • twirptwirp Posts: 1,128 Officer

That's entirely up to you. Lefty Kreh can cast 80+ feet with the tip section of a 4 piece rod...I'd hope you can out cast a 90 year old man with a full 9' rod. :grin
    Pathfinder-Logo-300x103.jpg
  • Ol'DirtyCasterOl'DirtyCaster Posts: 2,322 Captain

A new rod isn't going to improve your distance. If you're having issues with your casting, a lesson or two from a local shop would probably make a world of difference.
  • ShadowcastShadowcast Wimauma, FLPosts: 1,052 Officer
    Orvis makes an entry level combo that is decent. The gear isn't going to get you out 20'....practice will.
    Capt. Jon Bull
    @shadowcastflyfishing
    Sales Rep - Ankona Boats, Salt Marsh Skiffs, Tavernier Skiff Company
  • Colorado TroutbumColorado Troutbum Posts: 102 Officer
    twirp wrote: »
    That's entirely up to you. Lefty Kreh can cast 80+ feet with the tip section of a 4 piece rod...I'd hope you can out cast a 90 year old man with a full 9' rod. :grin
    LOL, I'd bet he can throw a line at 90 w a tip better than most casting a new $1k Sage. I saw a guy pull a WF line out of the box and cast its length (no rod at all) but it was at an indoor demo pool to help explain the timing and physics of loading...want to say it was Lefty but cannot recall for sure?
    Jaredman - I'll second Dirty; Reddinton makes a good product for the $, a friend started last year and now he punches streamers through big winds all day long.
  • saltybumsaltybum Posts: 1,579 Captain
    I've got a nice Redington Link 8wt on ebay right now. Like new and current bid is $100.:wink
  • Salt ShepherdsSalt Shepherds Posts: 30 Deckhand
    I was looking everywhere for a trustworthy link to the Redington Pursuit. That's a great entry level rod, two of my friends caught their first beach snook on Pursuits. I found my answer on ThinkIHaveThat.com http://www.thinkihavethat.com/redington-path-best-entry-level-fly-outfit/ I didn't know they had fly fishing solutions lol. Anyway Redington doesn't make the Pursuit anymore, the Path is the next generation.

Like everybody above said, the gear doesn't make a good caster, skills and practice do. I think having confidence in your gear also helps.
    Called to the Water... If you can live the rest of your life with only a rod and skiff, you are a Salt Shepherd www.saltshepherds.com
  • prodigal1011prodigal1011 Posts: 17 Greenhorn
    I am new to the sport of fly fishing as well. I noticed a trend with suggestions for a brand of entry level fly combo's. Redington. So I purchased a Redington Crosswater about 18 months ago and have put it through the ringer. It has held up great and was a fun rod to learn with. I have definitely got my money's worth out of it. The only thing I would suggest doing is to add a small amount of blue locktite to the thumb screw that holds the spool onto the reel body to keep it from backing out while you have a fish pulling drag!