Check fraud?

SwizzleSwizzle Posts: 534 Officer
A friend of mine installs underwater lights on boats for a living. He did a job for a guy who had just processed the boat days earlier from a friend. The boat was on a lift being stored. My buddy completes the job and informs the gut that his batteries were dead. Pleased with the work the guy pays $750 for the job, then leaves for vacation. Upon return the slip was sagging (the bilge having a lot of water in it). So, the guy cancels the check blaming my friend for not properly sealing the flush mount rod holders that were already installed. So he tells my friend to **** off. However the plug was left in the boat and the automatic bilge couldn't kick on with dead batteries. Now he hasthe lights, wires, and $750. Every police department is giving him the run around. Any suggestions?

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,419 Moderator
    Civil matter. Contact an attorney
  • Roc N RolRoc N Rol Posts: 1,349 Officer
    Your not going to get an answer here on this by LEO. This ask the law is for federal fishery laws.
  • gerrysgerrys Posts: 738 Officer
    Small claims court. The guy received a service and materials. Get a judgment, then attach a lein to the boat.
  • majorgatormajorgator Posts: 369 Deckhand
    Drop it. If the story is as you truly say, then your buddy simply got stiffed. Florida lien law establishes that you must record a notice at the courthouse so many days before the work, but not to exceed so many days after the work. If the installer doesn't have the proper insurances or occupational license, then he's better off not to push it any further. Boat owner may elect to press charges against installer if the installer tries to push the issue. Not to say that there's anything right about what has happened, but it is what it is. Why didn't the installer cash the check sooner?
  • SwizzleSwizzle Posts: 534 Officer
    The money was in the bank for a week before he canceled it.
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG
    Swizzle wrote: »
    The money was in the bank for a week before he canceled it.

Then what's the problem?
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • Reef BanditReef Bandit Posts: 997 Officer
    Underwater lights have been known to crack, especially being hit with a ball **** hammer. I can tell you this, he wouldn't be enjoying the fruits of my labor. lol
  • SwizzleSwizzle Posts: 534 Officer
    He stopped payment on the check after it cleared.
  • GroundsPounderGroundsPounder Posts: 51 Deckhand
    Sounds like a civil matter. He should consult an attorney for better advice.
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 6,305 Admiral
    Underwater lights have been known to crack, especially being hit with a ball **** hammer. I can tell you this, he wouldn't be enjoying the fruits of my labor. lol

That would be breaking the law....... oh never mind I remember you do not care what is legal or not, got any lobster?