Home Off Topic

Is it possible to rent a diesel VW TDI in Miami?

BigDanSBigDanS Posts: 832 Officer
We are going to drive to Mammoth Cave in a few weeks ( 2100 miles round trip ) and we are going to rent a car rather than drive our 2004 Pilot.

Rental cars can be had pretty cheap in Miami right now and we were looking into the economy route. It hit me, why not rent a VW TDI?

After a pretty good search, no diesel rentals, at least not in the traditional channels. I called Enterprise and Hertz and was told they do not rent them.

Any ideas where we could try one out for week? I really like the Passat TDI but we would settle for a Jetta or similar.

D
CAMTEQ Computers - Networks - Service - Sales
We do it all for business and home
http://www.camteq.net
Save $125 on your first service call

Replies

• MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,446 AG
    LOL
    People is crazy.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • bigironbigiron Posts: 543 Officer
    Many of my friends pay for a car to drive then rent a car to drive so they dont have to drive the car they pay for.....I dont get it. I drive the tires off mine. Drive the car you own and buy something nice for your family with the money saved on the rental.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Posts: 832 Officer
    bigiron wrote: »
    Many of my friends pay for a car to drive then rent a car to drive so they dont have to drive the car they pay for.....I dont get it. I drive the tires off mine. Drive the car you own and buy something nice for your family with the money saved on the rental.

The Pilot gets 19 mpg, and a TDI gets up to 60 mpg. It is 2100 miles round trip. Gas in the Pilot will be approximately 110 gallons and approximately $400. A TDI could use 35 gallons and cost $140 in fuel plus no wear and tear on the old Pilot, which has 135,000 miles on it. Does it really seems to be that hard of a decision? I could spend $400 on fuel and rental for a TDI and come out even.

Plus we are considering buying one. It would be a great way to try it out.
    CAMTEQ Computers - Networks - Service - Sales
    We do it all for business and home
    http://www.camteq.net
    Save $125 on your first service call
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,088 AG
    BigDanS wrote: »
    The Pilot gets 19 mpg, and a TDI gets up to 60 mpg. It is 2100 miles round trip. Gas in the Pilot will be approximately 110 gallons and approximately $400. A TDI could use 35 gallons and cost $140 in fuel plus no wear and tear on the old Pilot, which has 135,000 miles on it. Does it really seems to be that hard of a decision? I could spend $400 on fuel and rental for a TDI and come out even.

Plus we are considering buying one. It would be a great way to try it out.

Makes sense to me..

I rented a nice Cadillac sedan de ville when I took the daughter looking at colleges back in 1998.... was nice to ride in comfort and the 32 valve Northstar got better MPG than my pick up truck.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • robertgrantrobertgrant Posts: 88 Greenhorn
    Have you checked with the Vw dealer.
    I know Toyota of Homestead will rent
    A Sienna .
  • mjnmjn Posts: 1,576 Captain
    bigiron wrote: »

I drive the tires off my cars as well. Thats why I didnt want to get stuck in the middle of tenessesse while spending 4 times the money on gas in my v8 Jeep(12mpg) that has 170,000 miles on it, or my other car that gets 16 miles to the gallon with 154,000 miles on it. I ended up renting one of those mini SUVs, cost 300 bucks for the rental for 8 days with unlimited miles(enterprise). I got about 30 miles to the gallon on 2200 mile round trip to`take my 11 year old boy fishing in Homassassa. Trip snuck up on us and airfare would have been 700 minimum.

And I did look for a tdi to rent as my dad has one that gets 60mph at 60mph and about 55mpg at realistic speeds, so I know how good they are. I could not find one either.

I saved money over plane, and probably broke even over taking the jeep, plus no worries of my car having problems and being stuck somwhere that don't go to Antry.