Home Off Topic

High Noon Kick Off

13»

Replies

• Larry MacLarry Mac Posts: 5,466 Admiral
    mikev wrote: »
    Well then we better not get to discussing why all countries aren't represented in the WC. That would make some heads exploded.

The world globe is set into different regions.
    You have to play yourself into the 32 team World Cup by playing in these regional tournaments which may span 12-18 months before the World Cup. The region the US and Mexico in is called the CONCACAF .
    Every country in the world does have a chance to qualify for the World Cup which is why it's called the World Cup.
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,928 Admiral
    One shot on goal
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    Cane Pole wrote: »
    One shot on goal

And sometimes that is all it takes to win it all.

It is the soccer equivalent of "on any given Sunday."

One good example was Greece in the 2004 European Championship (similar to the World Cup but just for European countries and played every four years as well half way between the World Cup).

=====================

The 2004 UEFA European Championship, commonly referred to as UEFA Euro 2004 or Euro 2004, was the 12th edition of the UEFA European Championship, a quadrennial football competition contested by the men's national teams of the member associations of UEFA. The final tournament was hosted in Portugal for the first time, after their bid was selected on 12 October 1999, over rival bids from Spain and Austria/Hungary.[1][2] It took place from 12 June to 4 July 2004, and matches were played in ten venues across eight cities: Aveiro, Braga, Coimbra, Guimarães, Faro/Loulé, Leiria, Lisbon and Porto.

As in the 1996 and 2000 editions, the final tournament was contested by 16 teams – the hosts plus the 15 teams that successfully overcame the qualification round, which began in late 2002. Latvia secured their first participation in a major tournament after overcoming Turkey in the play-offs, while Greece returned to the European Championship after 24 years.

The tournament was rich in surprises and upsets: Germany, Spain and Italy were knocked out during the group stage, while France, the defending champions, were eliminated in the quarter-finals by Greece. The Portuguese team recovered from an opening defeat to Greece to reach the final, eliminating England and the Netherlands along the way. For the first time in a major football tournament, the last match featured the same teams as the opening match,[3] and like in their previous encounter, Portugal were beaten by Greece with an Angelos Charisteas goal.[4] Greece's triumph was unexpected, considering that they had only qualified for two other major tournaments, the UEFA Euro 1980 and the 1994 FIFA World Cup, where they failed to win a single match.
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • navigator2navigator2 Posts: 22,511 AG
    And sometimes that is all it takes to win it all.

The US **** nearly tied that game near the end, twice had the ball within point blank distance. That would have been bizarre because they were manhandled all day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,419 Admiral
  • jad1097jad1097 Posts: 9,611 Admiral
    mikev wrote: »
    I just don't see why that is so hard to understand?
    I don't understand why sports related threads are in OT
  • rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 11,866 AG
    jad1097 wrote: »

hear_hear-228x300.jpg
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG

This is a cultural conversation, not a sporting one.
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
  • Larry MacLarry Mac Posts: 5,466 Admiral
    Menzies wrote: »
    This is a cultural conversation, not a sporting one.

Certainly not something you would find in the sports forum
  • Tarpon65Tarpon65 Posts: 6,651 Admiral
    rock_fish wrote: »
    hear_hear-228x300.jpg

Luis wants to have a word with you two!
    Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
    Does he plan to outrun us or fall over looking like he got kicked int he teeth?
    Does he plan to outrun us or fall over looking like he got kicked int he teeth?

Make all the jokes you want, but he can eat the hell out of an ear of corn!
    Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
    This guy is in my corner

box_a_tyson_580.jpg
    This guy is in my corner

box_a_tyson_580.jpg

Man, it use to be so much fun to watch him box on the ESPN Thursday night fights.