Home Off Topic

FIFA question

Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,936 Admiral
Why do the substitute players always have to wear those dopey looking bib vests on the sidelines?
Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events

Replies

• D.R.R.P.D.R.R.P. Posts: 262 Officer
    Kinda like taking practice swings on deck in baseball. So when they are warming up the refs don't get confused.
  • ZimmerNoleZimmerNole Posts: 9,244 Officer
    Cane Pole wrote: »
    Why do the substitute players always have to wear those dopey looking bib vests on the sidelines?

That way the subs:

Haha, jk.

I've got no idea, tradition?
    Heroes On the Water
    South Florida Chapter Coordinator
    https://www.facebook.com/HOWSouthFloridaChapter

"Helping find peace for those who fought to defend it!" :USA
    FREEDOM CAPTURED!

FSU Alumni GO NOLES!!! >>
    >

2013 Hobie Outback
  • Larry MacLarry Mac Posts: 5,466 Admiral
    D.R.R.P. wrote: »
    Kinda like taking practice swings on deck in baseball. So when they are warming up the refs don't get confused.

This-- but not just the refs-- your own players as well. If warming up on the sideline, don't want your teammate to cross the ball to an off field player warming up
    Here's a story.
    Visiting a local club youth game near London with a good friend who was a scout for West Ham as well as other local pro teams. As we were getting close to the match, one of the sideline referees, sees my friend Nick, and yells out loud, " hello Nick," while waving his flag at Nick's direction. Immediately a whistle blows , the center ref yells, "offsides!" And now there are around 500 players, family and friends, wondering where in the bloody hell did that offside come from.
  • USNavy_AnglerUSNavy_Angler Posts: 473 Officer
    ^ LOL
    Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
    TEAM DIRTY BADGER :fishing
    Heroes On The Water
    South Florida Chapter Secretary
    [email protected]
    Proud US Navy Vet' 2007-2012
    Proud Owner Wilderness Systems Ride 135
  • MenziesMenzies Posts: 19,289 AG
    BTW, there is only one referee.

The two guys on the side are Linesmen.

There is a fourth official who stands between the two team benches. It is actually he who keeps track of the time to be added on - it used to be the referee when there wasn't a fourth official. The fourth official communicates the time added on and manages substitutions.

There is an experiment is European matches to have a "fifth official." There are actually two "fifth Officials," one behind each goal, to add more eyes to goalmouth action.

But again, there is only one referee - and one whistle!
    Maybe if we tell people that the brain is an App, they will start using it.
    Menzies wrote: »
    BTW, there is only one referee.

The two guys on the side are Linesmen.

There is a fourth official who stands between the two team benches. It is actually he who keeps track of the time to be added on - it used to be the referee when there wasn't a fourth official. The fourth official communicates the time added on and manages substitutions.

There is an experiment is European matches to have a "fifth official." There are actually two "fifth Officials," one behind each goal, to add more eyes to goalmouth action.

But again, there is only one referee - and one whistle!

Thank you sir-- I almost put linesmen in parenthesis after "sideline referee" but since I was speaking to the general audience and it didn't factor into the humor of the moment, I kept it simple. I should have known certain experts would pile in to highlight their football acumen.
  • Cane PoleCane Pole Stuart, FLAPosts: 9,936 Admiral
    soccer acumen
    Live music 7 nights a week: http://www.terrafermata.com/_events