Home General Freshwater Fishing

where to target bass in this heat?

Ok guys im trying to get use to this freshwater fishing and i'm struggling. I catch live shinners and I'm trying to let my daughter get a decent bass. We catch lots of 1-2lb bass but cannot seem to get a decent one. Don't get me wrong she is having blast catching these smaller fish but im beginning to think there are no big fish in this lake. We have tons of wild shiners, bream, catfish but I cant seem to locate any bigger bass. What am I doing wrong? Should I fish deep or the edge of the coontail grass and lillypads?

Replies

• JettyparkJettypark Posts: 1,969 Captain
    How are you fishing the shiners??...When the weather get crazy hot... fish it> early morning/late afternoon (sunset)
    or late at nite..

Fishing during the day> for big bass go deep.... nite time/morning or afternoon> shoreline right off the weeds/lillypads

I like tossing the shiner right in the middle of pads either with a float or freelining them... the conditions
    of the lake and how the bass are feeding will let me know how to fish for them..

I love using live shiner.. and most of the time it will produce big bass... but for some crazy reason the bass
    in 4 areas that I fish... rather hit a lure :huh (soft plastics) and we are still getting some big bass... late
    at nite and short distance from the shoreline> heck sometimes they will hit a lure as it coming out of the
    water.. :willynilly

The best way to get better> is to keep at it and start changing things up... bass will hit one thing today
    and not even look at the same lure tomorrow... stupid bass :grin
    aa13.gif"A ship without Marines is like a garment without buttons"
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,161 Moderator
    Lots of factors. like JP said how are you fishing them ? Do you have access to deeper water or are you fishing off a dock ?
    Get a little more detailed info to us and we can try to get you dialed in so you can take a pic of her holding that big bass.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • a little knotsa little knots Posts: 1,222 Officer
    Jettypark .........

Great info ....could not have said that better !!!
  • no slackno slack Posts: 339 Deckhand
    Thanks guys for the replies, Here is how I have been fishing. We catch the shiners off our dock and hook them behind the dorsal and use a pretty small float. We have only been fishing the outside edges of the grass and lilly pads and catching a good bit of small fish. The edges we are fishing are 2-5' deep. The lake is 1000 acres and doesn't get a lot of pressure. some but not a lot. The lake is mostly around 16' deep in the middle with a few holes Ive marked 23'. I tried putting the shinners in the lilly pads but they kept getting tangled and the hook would just stick into the stem of the lilly pad. Thanks again guys!
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,161 Moderator
    Sounds like you doing all you can from the dock. Nose hooking them and drifting the deeper water with no float should get some big bites if a boat is available or under a cork on the deeper grass edges. Late in the evening fish on the edge of heavy cover that is closest to deep water and hold on.
    Good luck.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • StratosStratos Posts: 149 Officer
    When I was a kid my father worked in the restaurant business. He would have his waitresses put all the left over and scrap bread into a cardboard box that he would bring home every couple of days. He would feed the ducks and bream the bread scraps. With all the bream getting feed behind the house, we would get some big old girls swimming around looking for an easy meal. (the best that I landed was about 10 1/2.)

If you can't figure out where they are, do this and they'll come to you.

Good luck
  • no slackno slack Posts: 339 Deckhand
    Hey Capt Louie, thanks for the help.. I do have a bass boat we fish out of so the deeper water is not a problem, I just didnt know if they would hang out in open water. I always thought they were more structure "grass" oriented. I have marked a few areas in the deep parts of the lake on my lowrance with i guess brush or logs. Is this the area I should sink the shinners to? Thanks again..
    capt louie wrote: »
    Sounds like you doing all you can from the dock. Nose hooking them and drifting the deeper water with no float should get some big bites if a boat is available or under a cork on the deeper grass edges. Late in the evening fish on the edge of heavy cover that is closest to deep water and hold on.
    Good luck.