Home General Freshwater Fishing

My son is getting into freshwater fishing and I could use some pointers

I'm a saltwater guy and have tried to get my son into fishing for years. Now he's away at college and low & behold he's borrowed his roommates fishing rod and just got done telling me he's caught 3 bass and 2 peacock bass in the lake over in Fort Myers.

I'd like to encourage this and I'll take his lightweight rod over to him next time I get over there. I'd like to buy him some lures, crankbaits, etc.. Do most guys use Braid or Mono? Can you tell me your dependable set-up's so he can have fun on the lake. Any tips are much appreciated.
Thank you.
visit Pure Pilates in Fort Lauderdale - http://www.pure-pilates.net

Replies

• roachbusterroachbuster Posts: 553 Officer
    Im not a pro at all but for my worm rod i use. 14 lb flurocarbon..topwater baits like speedworm or spro i use 20 lb braid..and for my horny toads i have a 7'11 flipping stick with 50 lb powerpro...but with that being said i used 15 lb mono for eveything for years and caught fish
  • roachbusterroachbuster Posts: 553 Officer
    As for baits i have every color speed worm..its my go to bait..u can fish it topwater or just under the top..or i will buy the smallest black cone weight at walmart and fish it slow and deep
  • former bluefishinnyformer bluefishinny Posts: 1,492 Officer
    This was my forte when I was in SE Florida.

Braid. I started using it for fresh back in 2004, and have not looked back. Suffix is good, and 10lb will be perfect for what he is looking to do. I always use a leader, and the diameter of it was all depended on what i was doing. For the most part, if you get a spool of Fluorocarbon LINE, not leader, say 14lb, that should be good for most applications. (I suggest line as it is was cheaper, and a 300 yard spool will last him till he graduates lol)

Lures: For peacocks, all you need are a few lures. A lure to cover shallower water, so a Husky Jerk is perfect. It supspends about a foot below the surface. So if you are fishing say less than 4 foot, its perfect. Next, a lure that I am sure you are familiar with. DOA Terror Eyez. Perfect for bouncing it around in deeper water. It has that erractic action with peacocks love. If water is 12 foot, perfect, drop it down, and snap the crap out of it. Last, topwater. Prop baits are good, so are zara spooks etc.

Largemouth: 5 lures and he will be set. 1. A topwater. Again, zara spooks are perfect. Esp low light. 2. A bag of some sort of Stick bait worm. Gary Yamato Senkos are best, but expensive. Knock offs are good, to include: Stick O, Gambler Ace, etc. etc. Rig this WEEDLESS on a 3/0 EWG Gammy hook. This is perfect for "weedy" lakes. 3. Zoom Flukes. White or Watermelon Seed. Perfect for again grassy areas, great bait to work above submerged vegetation. Best bait it water is very clear and deep (watermelon seed fluke). 4. Storm Swim Shads. Great bait if lake/pond has little cover, and is more of a sandy bottom. This bait can be worked slowly along bottom, or casted to schooling fish. Have literally caught well over a thousand bass on these. Peacocks like em too. 5. Rattletrap. Good search bait and good reaction bait. Chrome with blue back.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,319 Moderator
    He seems to like his roommates set up. Get something similar and either a little less expensive or a little more being we don't know what his roommate has.

A few lures to wet his appetite . Then he'll be like us and have to go shopping for MORE stuff :cool:
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Capt KurtCapt Kurt Posts: 410 Deckhand
    exactly.. this is great. Thanks for this info!
    visit Pure Pilates in Fort Lauderdale - http://www.pure-pilates.net
  • RollinRollin Posts: 1,547 Captain
    Add the Zoom Toads to his arsenal and some Owner 4/0 offset hooks.
  • RollinRollin Posts: 1,547 Captain
    This was my forte when I was in SE Florida.

Braid. I started using it for fresh back in 2004, and have not looked back. Suffix is good, and 10lb will be perfect for what he is looking to do. I always use a leader, and the diameter of it was all depended on what i was doing. For the most part, if you get a spool of Fluorocarbon LINE, not leader, say 14lb, that should be good for most applications. (I suggest line as it is was cheaper, and a 300 yard spool will last him till he graduates lol)
    Ok Blue, I've been a PP man for ten years. I'll give the 832 a try.
  • lookinlookin Posts: 1,377 Officer
    Great post, former bluefish.

I second the adding a toad and you also can't beat a good ol' Rapala minnow. I like the 1" "countdown" in silver...it doesn't float but sinks slowly. Catch a lot of bass in the 10-12" range on it and also specks/crappie and a hungry bream now and again. I use it on a light spinning combo with 8 lb line....makes catching the small ones more fun and you catch more fish this size in most lakes anyhow.
    God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy