Sebastian Area Info

Hello from a SE member...

Heading to Hiram's from Stuart for a couple of nights (by boat) in late June...I've never fished that area before. What's the inlet like? Any suggestions on where to find bait (cast net/sabiki) or where to fish (bottom and/or trolling/live baiting) would be greatly appreciated. Also, any suggestions on what to do while in Sebastian (sandbar? Scenic things for wife?)? I'll be in a 22' Sea Hunt CC.

Thanks!!

banchi:machinegun
Sgt. Thomas Baitinger...EOW January 24, 2011...I miss you every day my friend...

Replies

• StringpluckerStringplucker Posts: 64 Greenhorn
    If you are staying at Hiram's that is nice, they have bands and cool tiki bar setups. There is fish lips about 1/2 mile to the north as well. The islands are very plentiful in that area of the river, they have sandbars. Some have picnic tables and firepits. The inlet is challenging, it is very narrow and can get very snotty on a east wind with an outgoing tide. The islands hold mullet to castnet, you may see a pogie in the river however, there is usually bait around bethel shoal to be sabiki'd. It is marked with a bouy as well it can be found on a Top Spot map.
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    tide rips in and out of the inlet be careful, cast net in june
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,190 AG
    Check the Indian River County Health dept reports before eating or drinking at Hirams... I HATE black fly larva in ANYTHING :)

Drink bottled beer... wipe the opening.
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • banchibanchi Posts: 67 Greenhorn
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    Check the Indian River County Health dept reports before eating or drinking at Hirams... I HATE black fly larva in ANYTHING :)

Drink bottled beer... wipe the opening.

duckmanJR....I have looked at their history and did not see anything related to black fly larva...they've had some issues, but most appeared to have been a couple years ago. Recent reports (04/14) looked ok (passed) and any issues were reportedly dealt with. Having been in the food/bev industry, I recognize what was reported and didn't see anything that scared me any more than some other places I've been to. Can you give me a link to something different?

And thanks guys for the inlet/fishing related info. I've been dealing with the bi-polar St Lucie Inlet for a while now, so I know how they can get dicey with only a few changes in conditions. Any particular way to enter/exit the inlet?

banchi
    Sgt. Thomas Baitinger...EOW January 24, 2011...I miss you every day my friend...
    I think It was last year...might have been the year before...black fly larva in the ice machine and in the Margahrita machine....
    Regardless, the food is "bar food" and overpriced...It is not a spot for locals..just tourists and people who buy into that silly Key west " Islandshphere" crapola.
    But pay no attention to me...( I'm old and hate stomach issues :wink)
    I only go out once in a while...to places that have great food without any faux Key West bologna.
    Plenty of good food...but not on the water....they all have so-so food....at best.

As far as the fishing in late June...good fishing right off the beach.... Snook from the sand pre dawn....Tarpon, REALLY large jacks, and schools of Bonita. Nights in the inlet are good with bait doing the fender drift or off the rocks with flairhawks and windcheaters...
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    duckmanJR wrote: »
    I think It was last year...might have been the year before...black fly larva in the ice machine and in the Margahrita machine....
    Regardless, the food is "bar food" and overpriced...It is not a spot for locals..just tourists and people who buy into that silly Key west " Islandshphere" crapola.
    But pay no attention to me...( I'm old and hate stomach issues :wink)
    I only go out once in a while...to places that have great food without any faux Key West bologna.
    Plenty of good food...but not on the water....they all have so-so food....at best.

As far as the fishing in late June...good fishing right off the beach.... Snook from the sand pre dawn....Tarpon, REALLY large jacks, and schools of Bonita. Nights in the inlet are good with bait doing the fender drift or off the rocks with flairhawks and windcheaters...

duckmanJR...this is just a 2 day "road trip" for the wife and I to get away for a couple days...definitely not going there with any high expectations for food. Safe, yes...fine cuisine, no. Appreciate the info though!!

And thanks for the fishing info...just trying to get some ideas of what to fish for so I can pack accordingly.

banchi:machinegun
    PM me before you head up and I will tell you what's going on..

How "skilled" is the wife with fishing?....
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    duckmanJR...PM sent!

banchi
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,767 Captain
    Banchi, you"ll be fine in the Inlet in your 22 SEAHUNT unless its real miserable weather, and then you"ll have no desire to try anyhow. I worry more about the boat traffic than the inlet. It gets really crazy there what with clowns anchored in the middle of the channel and getying p'd off at you trying to dodge around them. But thats more weekends and peak fishing times. Sandbar party? If you go blind before you get there you MIGHT miss is but I doubt it!! LOL Just head for the inlet, almost across the river From Hirams. Let me know when you go there, maybe wife and i will ride down, we met you in the Keys in 07 i believe. To bad you're not into camping, Longpoint is one of if not the best camping/boating areas on the East Coast. Fishing? Fair to good, especially if you live on the water, like Duckman!
    Any suggestions on getting fuel on the water?

banchi
    Hirams has fuel...

Inlet marina which is just north of the St Sebastian river on the west side of the river also has fuel....just look for the large in-out storage building ...has a green roof.
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled