Home General Freshwater Fishing

FWC bass survey , rule changes.

capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,319 Moderator
There is an online survey being conducted by FWC about the intended new rule changes. This involves several things including a "one over 16" rule .

http://myfwc.com/fishing/freshwater/black-bass/bass-regulations/

I seldom keep bass to eat so any bag limit changes won't make a lot of difference to me.
I do however fish tournaments. And this rule change will require most, if not all tournaments , to have to get an exemption from FWC by going online and filling out the form. So from a tournament standpoint it will be a little more involved as to just throwing an "open" local lake tourney for a few boats. Hopefully it won't be a problem getting the exemptions. It hasn't been so in the past but now there will be more requests .

Anyway , the survey is short so let them know how you feel.

capt louie
"You'll get your weather"

Replies

• RealSeabeeRealSeabee Posts: 583 Officer
    The Opening Line "Largemouth bass are the nation’s most sought after freshwater sportfish. Seventy percent of Florida’s 1.4 million freshwater anglers target bass, generating well over $1.25 billion in economic impact." Follow the money and you find POLITICIANS.

The data on numbers of Bass in this fishery is total BS just like their Gator # estimates. Most data can and will be skewed for the user of the data itself. My Grandfather would tell you that he has not seen anything like the last few years since he has been fishing the area (early 50's) with very few exceptions (he always talked about the size and numbers of Catfish and Bass when alligators were near extinction and the demise at the hands of Hoop nets). I would add that I have never seen the Sizes along with the high numbers of quality fish since I have been at it either. This has been caused by enforcing current regulations and I'd vote to continue with the current reg's and enforce them even better.

Make no mistake about it, "over $1.25 billion" in my opinion, has a bunch government folks maneuvering to get more of it.

I can see it now...lol. Somewhere down the road in the near future they will say, "ok, y'all can keep'em over 16" if you are with a "for hire" charter.
    When Practice meets opportunity, Set-The-Hook!
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,319 Moderator
    RealSeabee wrote: »

Make no mistake about it, "over $1.25 billion" in my opinion, has a bunch government folks maneuvering to get more of it.

I can see it now...lol. Somewhere down the road in the near future they will say, "ok, y'all can keep'em over 16" if you are with a "for hire" charter.

Wouldn't that be special .. Regulate them like red snapper :rolleyes

At least , for now , this is just being discussed and since there is no commercial interest, extinction of the species isn't a concern.
    But I agree about the money. They want a slice of that pie.
  • BackyardAnglerBackyardAngler Posts: 356 Deckhand
    Thanks for posting Capt. Louis, I agree with Seabee, how does it affect the money stream? Wasn't aware there was bass issues anywhere in Florida. I've got a pair about every ten feet sitting on a nest right now in my back yard. Its a bumper crop, but I'll leave em alone for a while.

Question, are there any issues with eating fresh water fish up your way? The water down here is supposed to be full of sure death due to sugar cane, fertillizer etc. Sometimes I wonder if thats B.S. to ensure catch and release. I see the cane pole killers walking away with buckets of bass of every size, and none of them dropping dead as I can tell. Still, I have not eaten a bass in ten years.
    Question, are there any issues with eating fresh water fish up your way?.

No , and one of their reasons for the reduced size limit. Smaller fish have less mercury.

Odd , my nephew is 21 years old and said a couple of days ago "we should catch some bass and eat them. I've never tried it". :grin

That was a strange statement for me. My family always considered them a food fish. Things change I guess.

Question, are there any issues with eating fresh water fish up your way? The water down here is supposed to be full of sure death due to sugar cane, fertillizer etc. Sometimes I wonder if thats B.S. to ensure catch and release. I see the cane pole killers walking away with buckets of bass of every size, and none of them dropping dead as I can tell. Still, I have not eaten a bass in ten years.

A little Mercury Info and a LINK HERE The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists note that, considering all the dangers and benefits, the overall result of eating fish in the United States is likely to improve personal health rather than damage it.[31] The college argues that the omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids found in fish have a health benefit that outweighs the harm from mercury or polychlorinated biphenyls. Even so, the college also suggests limiting fish consumption for pregnant women. The Seychelles Child Development Study traced more than seven hundred mother-child pairs for nine years, and found no neurological problems in the children resulting from both prenatal and postnatal methylmercury exposure. A study done with marketed fish in Oman concluded that, except in a few rare cases, the fish available for consumption had lower levels of mercury than limits defined by various health organizations.[46] Clearly, these studies call into question whether or not normal everyday consumption of fish is dangerous in any way. They do not take into account cases of severe mercury poisoning, such as that found in Minamata disease.

Selenium is an element that is known to counteract some of the dangers of ingesting mercury.[17] Multiple studies have been done, such as those in New Jersey and Sweden, that take into account selenium as well as mercury levels. Fish often do contain selenium in conjunction with bioaccumulated mercury, which may offset some of the dangers associated with the mercury ingested.

Eating Guidelines for Freshwater Fish from Florida Waters

HERE IS A CHART that shows each area (even down to which canals in south FLA) and what the recommended limits are for consumption.
  • BackyardAnglerBackyardAngler Posts: 356 Deckhand
    Thanks for posting that Seabee, that was top notch info. I may cull the herd for dinner this week. I've almost made it to fifty, probably couldn't matter when you consider all the other abuse I've self inflicted over the years.
  • USNavy_AnglerUSNavy_Angler Posts: 473 Officer
    Thanks for sharing the survey, love getting my vote out there. Truth is, I understand some people don't have access to saltwater and rely on freshwater species such as largemouth for food, but in Florida I just don't see it necessary or beneficial. Saltwater species taste SO much better and are easier to come by in sizes that are good to eat.

I recommended the limit be 2-3, not 5. Consider that everyone takes whatever the heck they want anyway and the FWC cannot enforce much. So why not set it down to 2 a day? - Probably easy for me to say since I don't ever eat Largemouth, there's so many saltwater species that taste better and are not easy to catch... Am I spoiled?
    Wilderness Systems Pro Staff
    TEAM DIRTY BADGER :fishing
    Heroes On The Water
    South Florida Chapter Secretary
    [email protected]
    Proud US Navy Vet' 2007-2012
    Proud Owner Wilderness Systems Ride 135
    I just like the taste of Large mouth and Channel Catfish over all of the Mackerel Family, Cobia and Mahi. Snapper and Grouper I do really like along with Snook, Red Fish and Black Drum. I reckon to each there own but If I had to pick only one to eat forever it would be between Bass and Channel Catfish for me and I'd likely go with Bass. Monk fish in the saltwater is interesting as well. I don't care for Sea Trout but Rainbow, Brown and Brook Trout are mighty fine eating.

Navy Angler..have you eatin Bass? If you did and did not enjoy it, someone screwed up the cooking part. I live just off I-95, so if you are heading North with Time on your side, drop me a line and let's see if we can take a break at my place for a freshwater / fresh caught "sampler" Bass, Talapia, Sunshine Bass and Channel Cat with Florida Summer Slaw and some Blue Crab cakes.
    I noticed there will be no lower size limit. I'm not sure that is a good idea ?
    I was thinking the same thing. Better put one on there or some idiot will be out there keeping all the 10"er's he can. I'd like to see the bottom end become 15.5" as opposed to the 14" we currently have. [/I]
    capt louie wrote: »
    I noticed there will be no lower size limit. I'm not sure that is a good idea ?
    At least 10" at the lower end.