Home Off Topic

"Scary" or more of the "Sky is Falling" - Your Thoughts?

2»

Replies

• mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,417 Admiral
    Are you recommending the book Gary?
    Do Bjorn's opinions mirror yours?
    I saw this Ted talk a few weeks back. I am recommending that you and all members take the time to watch it. Bjorn is not highly educated, but I think he's very smart and I agree with what I have heard him say or write.
    http://www.ted.com/talks/bjorn_lomborg_sets_global_priorities#t-40857
    To ignore the financial aspects of dealing with any problem regardless of it's politics or size is just as it stated....ignorant.
    Lomborg summarized his position on climate change: "Global warming is real – it is man-made and it is an important problem. But it is not the end of the world."
    It is not my intention to derail this thread. I feel this is relevant to the subject matter.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG
    The use of science by scientists as a means of negotiating for desired political outcomes – the politicization of science by scientists – threatens the development of effective policies in contested issues. By tying themselves to politics, rather than policy, scientists necessarily restrict their value and the value of their science.
    - Roger A. Pielke

Stuart Pimm is closely associated (funded) with Pew Charitable Trust, which is defines itself as the above as is Boris.
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,417 Admiral
    So your saying he should be more selective when choosing his philanthropists.
    Perhaps he should wait until BP chooses to fund his research......and then liberals would no doubt question the results and the motives for reaching same.
    I think that is what they call a "Straw Man argument", but we are not arguing.
    I can't buy into the "anthropogenic global warming is conspiring for profits" argument. It doesn't add up when you consider how much is at stake when changing the status quo and the money involved there.
    You can always question someones motives, no matter who it is.
    What is Boris?
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG
    So your saying he should be more selective when choosing his philanthropists

I think that is what they call a "Straw Man argument", but we are not arguing.

No, I am not and no it isn't. Boris is mentioned in the OP. As well as here
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • 10X10X Posts: 501 Deckhand
    Species become extinct in response to a variety of stimuli, some of which may be caused or compounded by human activity. Others thrive due to the same activities. In the long run, we will have our time and then likely go. The dinos ruled for millions of years and, at best, we have been top dog for a less than 10,000. Check back in after another million years and see what is what. The "thinking" of today will not mean crap.

Now if you want to deal with the next couple of hundred years, you best get your game on as it is going to be a ride for your spawn.