Home Off Topic

Your parents generation's music.

Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,498 AG
I'm sure most of you grew up and your parents would tell you how bad your music was, and well, we thought there's wasn't all that hot either. Any songs that reminds you of your parent(s) when you were growing up?

This was one of my mom's favorites.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Abraham Lincoln

Replies

• tunamantunaman Posts: 3,767 Captain
    One of my dads jingles. Never heard it before....and haven't heard it since.....LOL

"I came home the other night, as drunk as I could be,
    I spied a hat upon the rack, where mine had aught to be,
    I asked my wife, who's hat is that?,
    She said "It's a frying pan",
    But a frying pan with a hat band I never before did see"!!!
  • mike_smike_s Posts: 445 Deckhand
    Listened to a lot of Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass
  • gregglgreggl Posts: 21,594 Officer
    Mom was Beatles... Dad was Stones. Didn't last.
  • ParkerboyParkerboy Posts: 7,048 Admiral
    My parents were Big Band from WW II era.

Sent from my KFJWA using Tapatalk
    Deo Vindice
  • baitstealerbaitstealer Posts: 178 Deckhand
    My mom was into Andy Williams too.They had Herb Albert records,too.My dad liked Johnny Mathis.
  • dstockwelldstockwell Posts: 13,813 AG
    :)
    It is not the responsibility of the United States to solve the problems of other countries.
  • jad1097jad1097 Posts: 9,611 Admiral
    greggl wrote: »
    Mom was Beatles...

mine likes them too
    dstockwell wrote: »
    :)

:hail Much better version
  • cprcpr Posts: 9,309 Admiral
    Parkerboy wrote: »
    My parents were Big Band from WW II era.

This^^^^, it sucked, still does IMO
    "The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the ability to function." F. Scott Fitzgerald

"Prediction is very difficult, especially if it's about the future." Niels Bohr
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 AG
    When my parents were children:

When I was:
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
    cpr wrote: »
    This^^^^, it sucked, still does IMO

I love big band music today. They were really great musicians but I didn't appreciate them in my youth. I have an eclectic taste in music, rock from the 60-70's, my youth,old school C&W, bluegrass, big band, jazz especially Latin jazz, and blues. I like it all With the exception of hip hop & rap. Just haven't been able to wrap my head around it.

Deo Vindice
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    my parents were into jazz and big band "swing" music...
    my dad also had a penchant for chet atkins, and flamenco guitar.....

i discovered the world of blues in the '60's via eric clapton and john mayall...

mac
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,498 AG

My parents also enjoyed swing music.

My Dad loved this song.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 1,930 Captain
    Elvis, Billy Vaughn, Jim Reeves, Englebert Humperdinck, Al Hirt, Pat Boone, Tom Jones

Just a few that I remember. We had one of the console cabinet record players with an FM radio. My mother would play records on Saturday mornings while she was cleaning house and on Sunday afternoon.
    I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.
    Herbert Bayard Swope
    US editor & journalist (1882 - 1958)
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    my parents had a bunch of glenn miller albums...
    i kind of liked it even as a kid...
    satchmo, al hurt, and other n'awlins trumpeters filled the album closet as well...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
    Don't you wish you had all those albums today? I know I do.

Deo Vindice
  • kckc Posts: 449 Officer
    My folks loved watching Lawrence Welk. Sort of like a "big band" variety show for those too young to recall the name. :-)
  • lakemanlakeman Posts: 789 Officer
    There are so many pieces of good music from all eras that when played in many venues today are as good, popular and welcomed by young and old. I love music from all eras, but most of rap and hiphop, well not my taste. I hated big band music when I grew up, but now find it great to listen to, I have a reason, and many older people do, I am legally deaf in the speech pattern, in the big band era the entertainers articulated the words better, and the music was simpler, and I can easily understand it.
    Over all I still love the folk generation but sometimes difficult to understand some artist.