Skip to main content
Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Sawfish Report

I know FWC reads this Forum and I've tried to file reports on your Website and it's like fillin out a Tax return :huh So here's the latest.
Caught one 4 ft. in my Castnet, never again, never , never, Took me forever getting him out:hairraiser
Seen a 5/6 Ft. 50 yards away , same Beach, mouth of the Blackwater River where that Beach is.
One 2 Islands east of **** Key just inside the outer Island , bout 6 Ft' on the flats, and 3 at Camp Lulu key .Flats draining. 2 at 4 ft. and one at 6/7 ft.
Record them please.
After not seeing many for 20 years...We've had a Major Hatch.
Good to see them back :cool:
Killin and Grillin :grin

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,664 Captain
    Depending on where you fish you may never see one - or see them every day if you're looking for them. There's actually lots and lots of saws of every size range in the Park (from pups only 18" long, newborn, to critters way bigger than my 17' skiff). The really good news is that they're making a comeback along both coasts northward away from the Park since the net ban.... Nets are what darned nearly wiped them out. If a saw encounters a net it can't get free so that's why they're beginning to show up again outside the Park where nets have been banned for more than sixty years.

The bad news for all of us is that there are folks willing to use an Endagered Species designation as a weapon to force regulation where it's clearly not needed. Since I helped with the research that led to the listing I wish I hadn't - no matter that I was being paid for each day on the water. Several years ago I quit forwarding any info at all once I saw how regulators (NOAA are you listening?) were trying to use the designation.... For more info I'll need an adult beverage and won't be speaking publicly.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • blewitupsirblewitupsir Posts: 774 Officer
    I keep pretty mum about em as well for the same reason. I don't know if me saying or not saying sightings makes or breaks anything, but I hate to load the gun that's used against me just in case. mu3uqebe.jpg
    http://hopefishing.comFishing the Florida Everglades National Park with Hope Fishing Adventures.
    We released an eight footer yesterday up inside a small creek in very shallow waters. It picked up a bait meant for reds... Depending on where we are we never see one - or have to work to avoid them. Genuine pre-historic beasty ... Like I said, lots and lots of them around if you are woking areas they frequent.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • tailchaser16tailchaser16 Posts: 655 Officer
    This just in; the following areas will be closed year round to fishing or motor boating until further notice due to favorable Sawfish Habitat.

"mouth of the Blackwater River where that Beach is and 2 Islands east of **** Key just inside the outer Island. In addition, Camp Lulu key"
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 10,654 AG
    This just in; the following areas will be closed year round to fishing or motor boating until further notice due to favorable Sawfish Habitat.

"mouth of the Blackwater River where that Beach is and 2 Islands east of **** Key just inside the outer Island. In addition, Camp Lulu key"

Well Said.
    I use to work for the NPS, And I'm a Cracker , I should know better...
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,193 Admiral
    How are the horseshoe crabs doing?
  • polliwogpolliwog Posts: 355 Deckhand
    I hope you aren't saying they have closed the Blackwater river to power craft. That would be bizzare.
  • everglades daneverglades dan Posts: 39 Greenhorn
    Saw 2 of them about 8 feet feeding on mullet on the beach at morman key yesterday. Pretty cool to see mullet parts flying in the air
  • Lead slingerLead slinger Posts: 449 Officer
    Saw one for the first time just a few days ago, over around the hill behind the school. It was pretty cool, uglier than sin, but neat.
    When asked, I always describe saws as "pre-historic" since I'm sure they've been around for millenia.... That said, if you ever see a really big one (way over 20 feet long....) you'll just hold your breath. They're really neat, and it's a shame that politics have had anything to do with them at all... Like most inshore species here in Florida, the net ban has just worked wonders....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 10,654 AG
    3 more yesterday AM. I ain't sayin where.
    Seems like we can lift some Protections now and allow a Limited Take , Along with some Jewfish as well...
  • FishinMcNutFishinMcNut Posts: 536 Officer
    Along with some Jewfish as well...
    Amen. Has been an explosion in Jewfish population in the back and along the rivers. Good snook spots of old are now jewper spots. At the same time...snook population over the past several years appears to be nowhere near what it was!
    Who's eating who?
  • fish_stixfish_stix Posts: 1,395 Officer
    Amen. Has been an explosion in Jewfish population in the back and along the rivers. Good snook spots of old are now jewper spots. At the same time...snook population over the past several years appears to be nowhere near what it was!
    Who's eating who?

I would seriously question that statement. We moved from Miami to Ft. Pierce when I was in Jr High school and my brothers and I became permanent fixtures on North and South bridges. I snorkeled many, many times under those bridges and the number of large jewfish was astounding; it was nothing to see 50-60 in one trip across the river under those bridges. At the same time the snook population was incredible with huge schools swimming around the pilings and the center barricade. At that time the limit was 4 snook per day and we never had a problem catching a limit at night, fishing jumbo shrimp under the bridge. This was in the mid to late 50s. Jewfish are opportunity feeders and will eat whatever crosses their path, including catfish. When we fished for jewfish under the bridges the favorite bait was a whole live catfish with the fins (spines) removed. Next best was a large ladyfish cut in half and both halves on the hook. You could probably catch one with a cowpie somehow attached to your hook.
    Fish stix... Fort Pierce is a long way from the Everglades... and a completely different environment... What McNut said is right on the money -I've actually had juvenile goliaths (jewfish for all of us non politically correct types...) attack and eat a small snook that one of my anglers was fighing - and that goliath was barely bigger than the snook.

In the backcountry of the Everglades we catch jewfish in the five to fifty pound size range in the same places we catch snook (in, under, and around downed trees...). A great snook spot, where you've caught snook for years.... quickly ceases being a snook spot when a jewfish takes up residence. I don't mind so much since the small jewfish (or goliath if you prefer) is just as willing to hit a plug as a snook and they never give up once they're hooked, but they're not as quick as a snook....

I'm one of many that's stood up in public in front of the FWC and advocated that the goliath grouper needs a lot less protection than it currently has and want any allowed catch to be strictly recreational and carefully controlled... Of course the feds (as always) have different ideas....
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • blewitupsirblewitupsir Posts: 774 Officer
    When the water is clear on our nearshore wrecks, I can watch the resident jewfish take up station under my boat. They, along with the bull sharks have learned that boats equal fish which equal meals.If we are just catching snapper, and grunts its typically not an issue, but the larger fish that put up more of a struggle are subject to getting swallowed whole if my anglers are not working hard. I would wonder if this is true on the inside as well, we just cant see em.
    http://hopefishing.comFishing the Florida Everglades National Park with Hope Fishing Adventures.