My aunt, long since gone, used to make a killer fruit salad that was as much a dessert to me as salad. I remember it had nuts, apples, bananas, marshmellows, cherries, and I think pineapple although not certain. If I remember correctly it also had mayo in it as a binder although I could be wrong about that as well.
In searching the net I find most recipes call for yogurt or Cool Whip as binders and I doubt my aunt ever heard of either of these.
Anyone have a recipe for an old fashioned Southern fruit salad they can share?
“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
― Ernest Hemingway
Waldorf salad is good too
Best Ambrosia Pie
Friday, May 23, 2014
This no-bake pie is super easy to make and oh-so-refreshing, it's no wonder why it's named after the food of the gods! Our Best Ambrosia Pie has a coconutty crust and a sweet fruity filling that'll have you coming back for just one. more. slice.
Best Ambrosia Pie
Chilling Time: 8 hr
What You'll Need:
• 1 (7-ounce) package flaked coconut, toasted, with 2 tablespoons reserved for garnish
• 1/3 cup butter, melted
• 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
• 1/3 cup lemon juice
• 1 (16-ounce) can fruit cocktail, well drained
• 1 cup miniature marshmallows
• 2 cups frozen **** topping, thawed
What To Do:
1. Coat a 9-inch deep-dish pie plate with cooking spray.
2. In small bowl, combine coconut (except coconut reserved for garnish) and butter; mix well. Spread into prepared pie plate to form a crust, pressing firmly into bottom and up sides of pie plate. Place in refrigerator to chill.
3. Meanwhile, in large bowl, combine sweetened condensed milk, lemon juice, fruit cocktail, and marshmallows. Stir gently until well mixed. Fold in **** topping, then spoon into prepared crust. Garnish with reserved coconut, then cover and chill at least 8 hours, or until set.
• Top with maraschino cherries or mandarin orange segments for an extra burst of color.
I think Waldorf salad uses mayo...
Many things to do.
Knots to be unraveled
'fore the darkness falls on you
How dare you question my story. I don't remember you being there, unless you were the drunk uncle I wasn't allowed to hang around.
Sent from my KFJWA using Tapatalk
This sounds like what I grew up eating.
Think I'll go snack.