STUD YELLOWFIN, GAFFER DOLPHIN, BIG YELLOWEYES - BDAY WEEKEND ON THE OTHER SIDE!

May 31 update: video is now loaded at the bottom of this post

In almost similar fashion to the last report (http://forums.floridasportsman.com/showthread.php?153538-YELLOWFIN-DOLPHIN-MUTTON-TARPON-a-quickie-to-the-other-side-April-26-27), I was supposed to cross with a couple of friends the week before but mother nature did not cooperate.

She did however reward us with amazing weather this past Memorial Day weekend. It was my birthday and I decided to make another family fun-fish run. I called my "other son" and he was in. Momma picked up the kids from school at noon on Friday. Nick and I had just picked up our live bait and were waiting for them across the inlet at 2Georges. They jumped on the boat and off we went. We were at Old Bahama Bay to clear by 2PM. It was going to be a mad house there, and I had decided to stay at a nice quiet place further east by Lucaya (it was a good call!).

It was a smooth ride. Kids enjoyed the ride including my..... "other son" :grin

After clearing and fueling up, we continued our journey to our resort. Got our slip. Checked in. Unloaded the luggage. Joseph, Nick and I decided to poke our nose out to see if we get lucky out front. With no love in sight, and a long day already for Joseph, we decided to head back early and hit it the next day.

We met up with the girls, had dinner and turned in fairly early. Next day was my birthday and the girls were totally game to go fishing with us including getting up at 6am. Off we went looking for birds, and we found them!

Joseph let me have the first fish :angel as it was my birthday after all. I **** that thing in 10 minutes with my new "specialized" gear.

It was great having the family together for the day.

We reset and connected with another fish. This time it was Joseph's turn. He had command and control with his awesome Talica 16 setup. He was so awesome - he called his sister over and they tag teamed that fish. He would keep the rod in his belt, pump the rod, and let Sarah reel on the way down - just like I did with him only two years ago. Long story short, they brought that fish all the way up and handed me the rod when it was at the boat.

Wanting to keep it light for the girls, we decided to head to the beach and have some fun. Kids were jumping off the boat. I was taking boat **** pics...

We went into Port Lucaya at one point to top off the gas tank and Nick went off and came back with a dockside delivery of Miami Vice drinks - OMG - you can have 4 or 5 before you know what hit you!!

We headed back to our place, cleaned up and met up for dinner. We popped a bottle of champagne...

Lit up the old girl for the occasion...

Dinner was very good but the service was a bit slow because the place was packed. We decided to save the cake for the following evening as it was getting pretty late.

Joseph, Nick and I got up the next morning and took off in search of "some more"... We found it! In a very eery way, we repeated what happened on the previous trip. With a big tuna on the line, Joseph starts hooking dolphins. But he wanted to land those and he did. He pulled 3 gaffers while I was still working on that tuna. At one point, I saw Nick jumping over the fishbox and on top of the motor and stick a beautiful bull before he went into the motors - awesome!

After that, we decided to head toward the Isaacs for some deep dropping. We pulled a bunch of really nice buttons and a yellow jack. Joseph was on the jig tormenting the cudas... and a baby strawberry grouper...

We killed a few more tuna, then headed back to the barn to meet up with the girls. Joseph practiced his boat handling skills on the way back...

While I went to the pool bar to get something yummy with the wife....

Nick decided to gut our tuna and while at it gave Sarah a present!! She loved it!!!!!!!

Early dinner. Birthday cake. Nice cigar. And off to bed we go.

For our last day, we decided to head up to West End in the morning now that the crazy crowds are mostly gone. Sarah and Debra went off to Teasers to pick up some lunch for us while I was fueling up for the ride home. Sarah met up with her old friend Ms. Anne.

We then headed out front, popped a few BIG yelloweyes and completely filled the fish box...

We moved shallower and jumped in... some boat and new tuna gear ****...

I got back on the boat and enjoyed a fruit drink with Nick...

We took off around 2PM heading towards home. Burned a little extra gas at 40 knots for this big girl and were tied at the home dock in under 2 hours.

Took a few obligatory home dock pictures and let Nick loose to perform surgery!

Oh yes, before I forget - bananas came too :grin

I've got some great footage I'll work on in the next couple of days... got some more deliveries to make in the mean time :wink

MAY 31 UPDATE: video is ready - let me know what you think

[video=youtube_share;IKBwSYfbThM]

Replies

• GT FishGT Fish Posts: 9,448 Officer
    Sweet trip!
    mousey.gif
    61903c544aca27b57fb2aa29e6bc4a3b.gif
    gnat.gifWzz6I.gif
  • sammy2189sammy2189 Posts: 998 Officer
    Can you adopt me? Nice job I've been sub to your channel for a while now. You guys kill it everytime.
    Hobie outback
  • pescador83pescador83 Posts: 362 Officer
    Awesome haul and an awesome trip!
  • SeneSene Posts: 174 Officer
    Productive days and great weather for the family.
  • isla21isla21 Posts: 2,115 Officer
    One heck of a holiday weekend for you and the family! Congrats and happy belated birthday buddy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • isla21isla21 Posts: 2,115 Officer
    Those new setups look beautiful also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • testerman28testerman28 Posts: 1,329 Officer
    great job on 'Life'.. good on ya on the fish..
  • Fi$h2nguyenFi$h2nguyen Posts: 7,782 Moderator
    Nice 2peat Paul. Happy belated birthday, looks like a memorable one!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Keeping busy while away from Florida

https://www.youtube.com/user/UFpwrLifter/videos?view_as=public
  • scubadudescubadude Posts: 148 Deckhand
    great job and got to spend time with family priceless
  • privateer19privateer19 Posts: 429 Deckhand
    Well done
  • FrydaddyFrydaddy Boynton BeachPosts: 526 Officer
    i was just talking about that style rod last week.do they work?
  • rgambotzrgambotz Posts: 224 Deckhand
    Congrats on a great trip and Happy Birthday!
  • soflah3soflah3 Posts: 589 Officer
    Great weekend Paul! Happy belated birthday. You and team Checked~Out know how to get it done!
  • Kevinwwings2Kevinwwings2 Posts: 1,271 Officer
    SICK...... How do you like those new spiral wraps? I have made 2 so far and I love mine.
  • Osprey45Osprey45 FT Pierce/ Boonton Twp NJPosts: 996 Officer
    Paul thanks for sharing your adventures with us
  • sundancekidsundancekid Posts: 55 Deckhand
    Great report.....

Where did you guys stay? Care to give us a review.......
  • PaulBoatPaulBoat Posts: 4,389 Officer
    Thanks all. It was a great bday weekend trip. I love those times when the whole family comes and we mix up family fun and fishing.

isla21 wrote: »
    Those new setups look beautiful also
    Frydaddy wrote: »
    i was just talking about that style rod last week.do they work?
    SICK...... How do you like those new spiral wraps? I have made 2 so far and I love mine.

Those new setups are just "sick" as my other son would say. Two Talica 16s 2-speed on Trevala XXH rods - just super light and strong. You forget you have a rod in your hand except for that 60lb tuna tugging on the other end. We actually caught the biggest fish on one of those with ease.

The other set is Talica 25s on custom acid wrap tuna sticks. Just a tad bit heavier but can handle a big marlin if need be. The rods are made locally by a guy Nick turned me on to. His work is absolutely flawless. Pictures don't do these rods justice. I upgraded the handles on the 25s with longer handles and bling t-bars from jiggingworld - longer handles give you more leverage. Then I took the 25 handles and put them on the 16s as they were longer.

He used Seeker Hercules GTS60XH blanks which are fantastic for the job. I went with the heavy duty upgraded stainless guides, slick butts and hypalon foregrips. Really fantastic rods and the wrap job and finish is unreal.

His name is Martin. His company is Revolution. Facebook.com/revolutionfishing -- I don't use Facebook so not sure what's on there. The guy is so busy he doesn't have time to put anything on his website.

9ededuhe.jpg

His work was recently showcased in another rag...

jeqybamu.jpg

Sorry I went off on this, but when a local company does great work, it is worthwile to talk them up.
  • Jupiter Double D'sJupiter Double D's Posts: 609 Officer
    Great Stuff Paul! If you are ever in a pinch for a deck hand I am sure Derek would fill in! Can't wait to see the video. I am going to make the trip a couple of times hopefully this summer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Double D's crew proudly uses Canyon Gear tackle
  • dpdashdpdash Posts: 5,359 Admiral
    Happy Birthday! Congrats on another outstanding trip, doesn't look like it could get much better. A few too many mentions of "fuel" though:wink
  • jrod2940jrod2940 Posts: 82 Deckhand
    Well done great trip if you need a other other son i am willing.
    naveensig4.jpg
  • Sails and TalesSails and Tales Posts: 152 Deckhand
    Great trip Paul!!! Awesome way to celebrate your birthday!
  • pretenderpretender Posts: 148 Deckhand
    Paul where did you stay this trip.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 4,729 Captain
    When you can combine love of fishing and love of family together, you found the perfect recipe. Congratulations on another great trip.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• BarracudaBarracuda Posts: 767 Officer
    Congrats and happy birthday! Where did you find the Tuna, due South of Lucaya? I struck out on one day to west end, but didn't have time to go too Far East in the NW Prov channel...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • lt20lt20 Posts: 97 Greenhorn
    Great report and pics.
  • Lazy BonesLazy Bones Posts: 941 Officer
    hell yeah. Awesome job on the trip. Great fishing and family time. Nice screen captures of the dolphin jumping.

Great job on that tuna Joseph. I remember the early days of teh forum when NickC was not much old than Joeseph and posting reports. He couldnlt have a better "other son" fishing mentor.

Looking forward to you summer reports.
  • PaulBoatPaulBoat Posts: 4,389 Officer
    dpdash wrote: »
    Happy Birthday! Congrats on another outstanding trip, doesn't look like it could get much better. A few too many mentions of "fuel" though:wink

Haha... Thx. She is a little piggy but I've also made it a habit to top off at every chance. Never know what's up next. Both this one and the old boat ride pretty much the same regardless of fuel load (this one more so).

jrod2940 wrote: »
    Well done great trip if you need a other other son i am willing.

LOL - you my friend don't need anyone to adopt you :wink and you know an invite is not necessary...
  • Ron@.38 Special[email protected] Special Posts: 6,912 Admiral
    Great trip, great fishing, but the fish pale compared to the memories you children will carry for the rest of their life!
  • BocaCentury2900BocaCentury2900 Posts: 99 Deckhand
    Very nice!
  • Derek ArsuaDerek Arsua Posts: 2,474 Officer
    My birthday is in July 😁never been to the other side lol!!