Home Photography Corner

Milkweed plant success

electrodogelectrodog Posts: 151 Deckhand
Coconut Creek considers itself the "butterfly capitol of the world", and gives away a couple of butterfly attracting plants every Arbor day to residents. Last years plant seems to be working:

Replies

• redsgurlredsgurl Posts: 555 Officer
    That is so cool. Props to ya; had I planted that a year ago, I would have never thought to go back and check it. And you found stuff! Great job, and nice images
    Suz

Capybara's are vicious and should not be let alone with small children. In-laws are another matter.............
  • ChuckcChuckc Posts: 4,398 Captain
    Very nice!

There is an episode of Nova detailing the monarch butterfly migration path that is well worth watching. You can stream it on Amazon Instant Video if you are a prime member.

Generation 1, hatched in Mexico, flies North to the Southern US, lays eggs and dies living 4-6 weeks or so.
    Generation 2, hatched in Southern US, flies North to the Northern US, lays eggs and dies living 4-6 weeks or so.
    Generation 3, Hatched in Northern US, flies North to Canada, lays eggs and dies living 4-6 weeks or so.
    Generation 4, Hatched in Canada flies all the way to Mexico (where it has never been before) navigating by some unknown process and arrives in a very specific area in MX, lays eggs and dies after having lived 9 months or so.

To me, that is just an incredible mystery.
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,386 Admiral
    !
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • electrodogelectrodog Posts: 151 Deckhand
    Thanks for the information! It seems my success may have been short lived. It appears that spider mites are taking over. I don't know if they are fatal to the caterpillars or not?
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    we find the monarch caterpillars all the time here in the spring feeding on what we call "queen ann's lace"....
    got an idea about 35 years ago to keep them fed and localized in the house...
    shot the whole sequence from start to finish....
    i remember sitting up one night with flood lamps and flash on a tripod to shoot the emerging b'fly....
    if i dug around i might be able to find the prints...don't know about the original slides due to katrina...

i was shooting with a couple of pentax k2 dmd back in those days...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • ChuckcChuckc Posts: 4,398 Captain
    Nice macro work catching the spider mites. Very cool.

We've got a few milkweed plants in the butterfly garden but so far no sign of caterpillars.
    Looks like this one is almost ready to break out!
  • redsgurlredsgurl Posts: 555 Officer
    omg! that is ridiculously bad *** look at you!!!!! Whats up with the spider mites? Are they still there?
    Suz

Capybara's are vicious and should not be let alone with small children. In-laws are another matter.............
    Thanks redsgurl,
    The last batch of caterpillars ate all the leaves off the Milkweed plant so I haven't seen any caterpillars or spider mites. Its amazing what you will find in your own backyard if you just look!
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,386 Admiral
    !
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.