What are you growing this fall?

this will be my first time doing a Fall Garden

what grows well this time of the year? okra? p-nuts? greens?

Replies

• AllenRAllenR Posts: 2,698 Captain
    turnips-collards-lettuce-kale cauliflower
  • I FA DATI FA DAT Posts: 553 Officer
    AllenR wrote: »
    This minus the kale add tomatoes, cabbage, broccoli and I'm going to try sweet potatoes this year.

Out of four cauliflower plants I only had one produce last spring. The worst part is the the squirrels got it the day before I was going to pick it. :banghead
  • WaVeCrAzEdWaVeCrAzEd Posts: 569 Officer
    Out of four cauliflower plants I only had one produce last spring. The worst part is the the squirrels got it the day before I was going to pick it.

I had my first persimmon in 7 years and a squirell got it the second day after I found it. I should have taken a picture.
  • stokesstokes Posts: 324 Deckhand
    I FA DAT wrote: »
    This minus the kale add tomatoes, cabbage, broccoli and I'm going to try sweet potatoes this year.

Out of four cauliflower plants I only had one produce last spring. The worst part is the the squirrels got it the day before I was going to pick it. :banghead

Are you doing the tomatoes in a greenhouse? This was my first year trying them, and wasn't a total fail, but wasn't very good either. Would like to give it another shot before next summer if possible.

Also, I happened to have a watermelon pop up unexpectedly just in the last month. When do you know they're ready to "pick"?
  • I FA DATI FA DAT Posts: 553 Officer
    stokes wrote: »
    Are you doing the tomatoes in a greenhouse? This was my first year trying them, and wasn't a total fail, but wasn't very good either. Would like to give it another shot before next summer if possible.

Also, I happened to have a watermelon pop up unexpectedly just in the last month. When do you know they're ready to "pick"?

No Greenhouse. I'm actually going to ACE this afternoon and check out their inventory. Since the Fall season is pretty short I usually buy tomato plants that are 2 or so feet tall. I transplant them into twenty gallon pots with good soil.

I've never grown watermelon on purpose. I threw some pits and rind on the side of the house once and had a vine and one melon appear. I waited till the vine died and picked it. It wasn't bad at all.

Also I see old ladies thumping them in the store. Not really sure how they determine if they're good or bad from that. :shrug
  • jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,302 Officer
    I get a good fall tomato crop, here in East Central, if you get them in the ground by Oct 1 and we don't get a frost too early. Last year I had close to a bushel that I picked green the day before a cold snap killed the plants. Previous years worked out better.
  • BodineBodine Posts: 2,860 Captain
    I am preparing my beds right now, come Oct 1, I will plant by seed,
    Several types of lettuce
    Arugula
    Bok Choi and a couple more Asian greens
    Turnips and mustards
    radishes
    Giant Spinich
    Kale
    Cabbage

I much prefer a winter garden, no pests and cool weather.
    F the feds
  • dougmaysdougmays Posts: 288 Officer
    i think i'm going to try broccoli and turnips
  • charlie tunacharlie tuna Posts: 730 Officer
    Greenhouse ?? How do the plants get pollinated ??
  • stokesstokes Posts: 324 Deckhand
    I FA DAT wrote: »
    No Greenhouse. I'm actually going to ACE this afternoon and check out their inventory. Since the Fall season is pretty short I usually buy tomato plants that are 2 or so feet tall. I transplant them into twenty gallon pots with good soil.

I've never grown watermelon on purpose. I threw some pits and rind on the side of the house once and had a vine and one melon appear. I waited till the vine died and picked it. It wasn't bad at all.

Also I see old ladies thumping them in the store. Not really sure how they determine if they're good or bad from that. :shrug

Cool, thanks for the info. Here's my pop-up watermelon surprise. There seems to be a method to the thump, but I don't know what it is yet.
    IMG_20110917_120550.jpg
  • pinseekerpinseeker Posts: 59 Greenhorn
    I've gone with a fall run of corn and peas that i planted last month. Next week it will be mustard, **** (Brassica napus), collards, cabbage, and spinach. The mater plants are still producing. Count the foodplots...rutabaga, clay peas, oats, and some clover.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,031 AG
    AllenR wrote: »

- cauliflower for me too. Add tomatoes, onions and peppers.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,031 AG
    stokes wrote: »

Mine did not do well this year, as in years pass. It just got too darn hot. Plants go spindly on us and although they produced, they did not produce well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • dusky203dusky203 Posts: 617 Officer
    This year will be acid, salt, stabilizer, and shock. My garden area was turned into a pool earlier this year:smiley-computer

Iceman
  • BodineBodine Posts: 2,860 Captain
    dusky203 wrote: »
    This year will be acid, salt, stabilizer, and shock. My garden area was turned into a pool earlier this year:smiley-computer

Iceman

One saves you money, the other costs you money, weird trade.
    F the feds