Prop advice

FISHHUNTRFISHHUNTR Posts: 1,282 Officer
Need some advice on what prop I should go with, here is my boat info
2012 pathfinder 20' with f150 and power tech SCD 13.25 x 19" prop
Currently with just me, 1/2 of the livewel full, half tank of fuel, normal gear and medium cooler with 10lbs of ice, no trim on motor and tabs up I can just barely hit 5500 RPM @ 44mph. I feel lightly loaded it would be best to be able to get near 6k RPM and that would more efficiency with light loads and better performance with heavier loads. This boat in general is noted to be a little heavy at the stern & has a slight tendency to porpoise under certain conditions. The above prop was the generally recommended one due to its stern lifting properties. This same prop is available in a 17 & 18" Im guessing the 17 would put the RPMs where I want them and is also made in a 3 blade version. So I am wondering should I stay with 4 blades or go with 3, and also what other style props might work well with this setup and give the numbers I want?
"FISHUNTR"- 2012 20' Pathfinder, Yamaha F150, HDS gen 3 9T

Replies

• rollintiderollintide Posts: 24 Greenhorn
    In my opinion, you sound like you are right where you should be. The RPM range for that motor is 5000-6000 and you are at 5500 with the motor trimmed all the way in. I could be wrong but I have always been told to check your RPM range with the motor trimmed out and I would imagine you will see 6000 easily with it trimmed out. Are the RPMs the only reason you are looking to switch or do you have other performance concerns? I would also recommend trying the forum at propgods.com. Ken is very knowledgeable and they have a good trial prop program if you just want to try some others out.
  • tunamantunaman Posts: 3,750 Captain
    rollintide wrote: »
    In my opinion, you sound like you are right where you should be. The RPM range for that motor is 5000-6000 and you are at 5500 with the motor trimmed all the way in. I could be wrong but I have always been told to check your RPM range with the motor trimmed out and I would imagine you will see 6000 easily with it trimmed out. Are the RPMs the only reason you are looking to switch or do you have other performance concerns? I would also recommend trying the forum at propgods.com. Ken is very knowledgeable and they have a good trial prop program if you just want to try some others out.

I agree. I bet you drop pitch a couple inches, you'll be in 6500-limiter trimmed out. Shorter engine life. Plus i bet you won't gain 1 mph.
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,145 Admiral
    I'm running a 13 3/4 x 19 Yamaha Reliance with my F150 max rpm I've seen light was 5700 to 5800 at 52 and 53 mph. With some load in the boat I usually see around 5400 consistently which is around 48-49 mph.
    I love PT props but to me they seem too thick to be turned by a less torque 4 stroke or smaller motors. I feel a thinner bladed steel prop might be the ticket. Been asking if anyone has run a 19 SST on theirs.

BTW I also run a 17x14 1/4 but it hits the limiter pretty easily and my cruise speed say at 3900 fell off a good bit from the 19 which is at 34mph. Note* My boat is the newer Cobia Bay that Maverick knocked off the 20' PF.
  • dhadleydhadley Posts: 53 Deckhand
    The 13.25" diameter prop was intended to be used on the smaller 4.25" gearcases. While it will bolt on your F150 (4.75" gearcase) I would think you'd have to run the motor at a pretty low X dimension to get it to work. Your motor will perform much better with props that have 14" or more in diameter and were made to run on the larger gearcases. You should be able to run the motor higher which will reduce drag a lot. We run the Turbo 14.25 x 19 4 blade Ultimas on 22 PFs that have a jackplate.
  • sneaky snookersneaky snooker Posts: 746 Officer
    dhadley wrote: »
    The 13.25" diameter prop was intended to be used on the smaller 4.25" gearcases. While it will bolt on your F150 (4.75" gearcase) I would think you'd have to run the motor at a pretty low X dimension to get it to work. Your motor will perform much better with props that have 14" or more in diameter and were made to run on the larger gearcases. You should be able to run the motor higher which will reduce drag a lot. We run the Turbo 14.25 x 19 4 blade Ultimas on 22 PFs that have a jackplate.
    That makes me feel better. I notice so many guys with F150s running 131/4 props. I experimented when I first bought my 05 Redfisher 18 with F 150. I ended up with a Power Tech 151/4 x 19 OFX 3 prop. I have been very happy . My boat is fairly heavy as I usually have 30-40 gals of fuel, powerpole 8ft, trolling motor, 3 batteries, tackle gear etc. With that and two men I will run right at 50 at 5800 rpm. If I lighten the load I have seen 53 mph at 5900 rpm. Of course these rpm are when trimmed up. No jackplate. I have never hit the rev limiter which I believe is 6000. It seems to jump right up. Am I leaving anything on the table ?
    2015 Shearwater 23 TE w/ Yamaha SHO 250
  • surfmansurfman WC FLPosts: 5,074 Admiral
    You're good.
    Tight Lines, Steve
    My posts are my opinion only.