Home Egret Boats

Upper Keys Fishing

Larry418Larry418 Posts: 78 Deckhand
Hello All,
I will be vacationing in the Keys(Plantation Key) in two weeks and have little knowledge of the area.
I generally fish light spinning tackle out of Flamingo using artificial baits.
I prefer back country.Reds? Any broad stroke advice? I am considering a guide for one day.
Fished a little further down the Keys last May....a good time , but the highlight was a Permit and found some lush grass flats with a couple of deeper cuts that held a lot of snapper.
I run a 189, Renegades old boat.
Regards.

Replies

• 91tiger91tiger Posts: 554 Officer
    Just got back from Islamorada for a week of livebaiting the the tarpon. We did extremly well but the areas we fished would probably be a 20 mile plus run from Plantation. In 7 days we leadered 13 fish, broke the hook on 4 more near the boat and probably had another 20 or more on, some very briefly. If I was staying up that way I would be making the run over to Flamingo everyday. Snook, reds and tarpon should all be really good over that way, especially since you already know the area.
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 605 Officer
    Channel 2 and 5 are right there for some tarpon fishing.
    I always do better at night.
    My normal tarpon area is Long Key bridge but it is a run from your location---but, a beautiful run.

I'll be at Bahia Honda bridge while you are down there.
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.
  • Larry418Larry418 Posts: 78 Deckhand
    Channel 2 and 5 are right there for some tarpon fishing.
    I always do better at night.
    My normal tarpon area is Long Key bridge but it is a run from your location---but, a beautiful run.

I'll be at Bahia Honda bridge while you are down there.

Thank you for the info.
    If I'm around Bahia Honda I'll look for you. What are you running?
  • Larry418Larry418 Posts: 78 Deckhand
    Thanks Tiger,
    I met you at the Flamingo ramp a while back.....passed you in Mud Bay. You were looking for Tarpon. Sounds like you had better luck most recently......don't generally fish for them but the few I've hooked up with turn into a marathon event due to light tackle.
  • 91tiger91tiger Posts: 554 Officer
    Hello Larry,

After I drafted my response I wondered if you were the same gentleman that I talked to at Flamingo last year. I remember that day, I needed a tarpon for a super slam on the day and was hunting for them hard. I was even trying the baby ones in the Marina.

I will send you a PM with some more details on Islamorada.
  • Flatwater witchFlatwater witch Posts: 605 Officer
    Larry418 wrote: »
    Thank you for the info.
    If I'm around Bahia Honda I'll look for you. What are you running?

Gray 18'9" Egret w/ crossed cannons on the side.
    But could also be in a 25 pursuit or 23 Sea pro.
    Depends who is driving that day. Say hello.
    For bait--pin fish, mullet and crabs .

Good luck
    Renagade69 wrote: »
    Either you are mechanically inclined ore your not. The fact you had to ask told me that you can not do it. Its ok, not every one has this ability. Some people just have to pay.