Ft-Lauderdale Beach Wreck Fishing - Amberjack C & R.

Jason, who's also on the forum, called me up the night before and told me he wanted to fish on Sunday. Decided to launch from Ft-Lauderdale Beach and fish some of our local wrecks within paddling distance. I told him about the long beach haul we would have to go through, to launch our kayaks from this beach. No problem he said. Hit the beach predawn, as you can park here at 5:00 a.m. perfect for hitting this area. As soon as we reached 45ft deep, Jason caught a decent sized king on a deep diving Rapala. No pics or vid...to dark still out. We decided not to carry bait today, just jig away. As soon as we reached our first spot, we both hooked up to bonitos right away. Not what we wanted, but still an ice breaker on the jigging. After getting in our workout on those bonitos, Jason landed a small AJ for the smoker and an African Pompano. No BFT's in these shallower waters. We averaged 225ft or less depth throughout the day. Only once we went out deeper but got no hits.

As the morning progressed, so did the north current. We made a change in plan and drifted further north to a couple of other wrecks still within our range. That's where the AJ in the video was caught. I was using 30lb spider braid with 30lb mono. Also the jig was a 5-1/2 oz flutter jig. Not a bad day on the water. Got my reef donkey. Jason got his king and a smaller smoker AJ.
Fish Hard...Or Don't Fish At All.

Replies

• lmp1978lmp1978 Posts: 154 Officer
    Those guys they the give a hell of a fight…..
    Good job on put him back on the water, Congrats Frank...
  • kayakfrankkayakfrank Posts: 791 Officer
    Thanks lmp1978. The fight is a constant run to the bottom. Just when you think you got him half way up, he gets strength from who knows where, and back down full force he goes. Now I know the power of these fish, like you know from before. We gotta go play tug-o-war with these bad boys soon again!
  • blazing_reelsblazing_reels Posts: 587 Officer
    Tearing it up Frank. Wtg buddy!!
  • kayakfrankkayakfrank Posts: 791 Officer
    Tearing it up Frank. Wtg buddy!!

Thanks blazing_reels. One day you want to fish Broward like Ft Laud, Dania , Hollywood hit me up. Sundays I almost always fish.
  • frankthetankfrankthetank Posts: 863 Officer
    kayakfrank wrote: »
    Thanks blazing_reels. One day you want to fish Broward like Ft Laud, Dania , Hollywood hit me up. Sundays I almost always fish.

You gonna fish Sunday I'm down to go maybe even do a short drift

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk
    :fishing
    OCEAN KAYAK: PROWLER 13