Skip to main content
Home Conservation Forums

Spearing Lionfish in Dry Tortugas National Park

FlagtailsFlagtails MiamiPosts: 589 Officer
I am planning a camping trip to Dry Tortugas National Park in April and I was wondering if it is legal to spear lionfish within the boundaries of the park. I understand that spearing any other fish is illegal but I was wondering if there was an exception for lionfish due to the fact that they are an invasive species.

Replies

• CoydogCoydog Posts: 418 Deckhand
    From NPS website:
    Because lionfish are spreading across a very large range, the National Park Service is working in tandem with coastal parks, monuments, and seashores in the development of a regional management plan. Officials from Biscayne National Park, Buck Island Reef National Monument, Canaveral National Seashore, Dry Tortugas National Park, Gulf Islands National Seashore, Virgin Islands National Park, and Virgin Islands Coral Reef National Monument have worked together in drafting a region-wide Lionfish Management Plan, which is currently under review.

The National Park Service is also working with partner agencies like NOAA, the USGS, and non-governmental organizations like REEF and The CORE Foundation. Working collaboratively provides the best hope against an invader that does not recognize administrative boundaries.

So I think at the moment it is still a no-go to kill Lionfish if your John Q. Public but do think there is going to be a means to spear them in the future. I know REEF is very pro-active in trying to remove them and it is evident for the time being only creatures in the water at the moment that will prey on them are humans.