Offshore Deepwater adventure 4/26

Warning- no pictures involved in this report at this time due to departure and arrival time. We set out shortly after 4am on Saturday morning on a beautiful ride offshore. The goal was to try to capture a trophy sized warsaw on the first stop. We did capture a warsaw, but it was about 50 pounds. Since that was the first fish of the trip and you can only have one, we tried to downsize gear and try to pull a few smaller fish off the spot.

That resulted in a very large blackfin tuna and a gag grouper about 30 pounds we had to release.

We moved offshore into deeper water and fished an edge which produced a few snowy groupers but quite a few yellowedge. Quite frankly, my favorite grouper to eat. We milled around in that area, landed a queen snapper and some wenchman snappers as well.

Later in the afternoon, the fish seemed to simply shut off in the area I was fishing. I spent nearly 40 minutes fishing a ridge in 80 fathoms that looked really hot but only produced a 15 pound snowy, pink porgy and 12 pound gray tile. We called it a day. The weather was beautiful all day until the last 40 miles off the beach which just beat us raw. Have no idea where that wind came from.

We had 20 groupers, largest at 50 pounds. 22 tilefish and various other suspects.

If you are one of the few that read these reports and loves offshore trolling in this region, I've got to tell you, it's time to lube up the reels and fuel the boat, stuff is happening offshore. 3 weeks ago, I started seeing scattered weedlines, but we witnessed some massive weedlines on Saturday. The heaviest weedlines and rips were occurring offshore between 25 15/ 25-20 N 83 50/ 84-20W. Unreal amounts of life on the surface. There is an unreal amount of activity on the surface right now and some of the weedlines we went through were massive. Water temp is 78-79. It's going to be game on offshore in the trolling world before that water temp skyrockets.

I might get a couple pictures from the trip if they send over camera shots. It was just a very long day. Up at 3 and in bed at midnight and the fish were cut this morning.

Replies