4/25 offshore Sarasota

Exited New pass around 7:00am with absolutely no wind what so ever. Made our way out to 30 feet and used the sabiki to catch a mess of blue runners, threads, and pinfish. We loaded up the live well in about 15 minutes and we went on our way. We were greeted the whole way out with flat seas and no wind. We stopped at our first spot in 62 feet... nothing. We dropped down pinfish and threads and couldn't get a hit. We decided to drift off the spot since there was no wind we could use light weight to get our bait on the bottom. About 200 feet off the spot and BAM! I hook up with something using a dime sized pinfish. Reel up and it's a nice sized lane. As soon as I put the lane in the cooler my dad hooks up using a buck tail jig tipped with a sardine. Reels up and it's a nice 17 inch lane. After that the bite shut down. Moved to another spot in 72 feet and trolled on the way. Landed a small king but that was all. Stopped on our next spot and we had a hard time getting a bite. But wait! We look over and something is finning on the surface. A shark? Cobia? Permit? We coast over to it and I cast over to it with a Yo-Zuri crystal minnow. BAM! ZIIINNNGGGGGGG! The drag starts ripping on my 4500 SSV. It jumps and I can't believe my eyes. A sailfish is doing its beautiful dance through the top water column. I start to shout "Get the camera!" But on its 3rd jump it spits the hook. A sailfish in 70 feet? What? I still can't believe it. But it's not over. I look down from the bow of my boat and we dozens of Amberjack, Cobia, And African pomapano swimming. I immediately grabbed my baitrunner 8000 and throw out the biggest blue runner I have. It doesn't last 15 seconds and gets inhaled by a AJ. Fish on! We caught 8 or so AJ's in about 30 minutes along with a break off on a large cobia. All were caught on blue runners or pinfish. Shortly after our arms started getting tired. We headed back around 2:00pm. All AJ's were released. We only kept the 2 lanes. Lots of bait out offshore right now and lots of kings hitting the bait. Get out there! Tight lines!
Follow me on instagram for daily catches! @surferjs12

Replies

• Baja280Baja280 Posts: 440 Deckhand
    sweet, nice on the sail!
    Premium Auto Body and Collision
    Anything from Hot Rods to Bentleys
    Also work with ALL Insurance Carriers
    941-685-3540
  • HenrySRQHenrySRQ Posts: 35 Deckhand
    How far out? 72 feet that's only 14-15 miles right and a Sailfish what a great trip like the pictures!
  • surferjs01surferjs01 Posts: 184 Officer
    Thanks for the kind words. We were out 18 miles when we hooked the sail. There was a lot of surface activity out there! My advice: Get out past the 60 foot mark and you'll be greeted with nice fish. We were trying to get out to 100 feet that day but the AJ spot was too great to ignore.
  • captjoemorinIIIcaptjoemorinIII Posts: 146 Officer
    Nice Job guys
  • PtsrhenryPtsrhenry Posts: 256 Deckhand
    very cool!
    RANGER BAY 2300
  • teamfiveteamfive Posts: 87 Greenhorn
    Nice pics, wish you would of landed the sail!
  • RMDRMD Posts: 1,796 Officer
    ****. Never have seen AJs that shallow. Nice!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aaronaaron Posts: 79 Deckhand
    Give me a holler next time you head out! Ive bean wanting to go offshore just no way to do it, ill pitch on gas
  • surferjs01surferjs01 Posts: 184 Officer
    It's still making me sick about the sail. Oh well, atleast I got to experience its power. There's always a next time! And Aaron, I will. We're most likely heading back out next weekend.
  • aaronaaron Posts: 79 Deckhand
    Let me know on facebook this week, id be down to go for sure
  • frankiezfrankiez Posts: 390 Deckhand
    I'm down in Venice but I definitely have no problem driving up if it involves fishing. Ditto on the gas. I have no problem forking out the cash! My two favorite past times GOLFING and FISHING!