Home Angler On Foot

Gear Advice

gettinwetgettinwet Posts: 1,366 Officer
I posted this over on the East Coast forum but figured here would be a good spot as well since I'm an avid wade fishermen - almost exclusively inshore in the Indian River/Mosquito Lagoon (Titusville, FL). I currently use a gloomis ultralight IMX rod paired with a shimano sustain, a medium GL2 with a stradic - both spinning outfits - and an ugly stick inshore with a catala baitcaster (my live/cut bait rod). All my outfits are now 7+ years old so I'm been researching for replacements and really like the Quantum Smoke PTi (inshore saltwater model) combined with either a St. Croix Tidemaster Inshore or a 13 Fishing Green Omen The 22lbs of drag and light weight sold me on the Smoke - and both the rods had the features I wanted - but the Tidemaster I believe is made in the USA. Anybody have experience with any of these? Your insights would be much appreciated!
There are only so many casts in life, so shut up and fish!!

Replies

• johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,419 Admiral
    gettinwet wrote: »
    I posted this over on the East Coast forum but figured here would be a good spot as well since I'm an avid wade fishermen - almost exclusively inshore in the Indian River/Mosquito Lagoon (Titusville, FL). I currently use a gloomis ultralight IMX rod paired with a shimano sustain, a medium GL2 with a stradic - both spinning outfits - and an ugly stick inshore with a catala baitcaster (my live/cut bait rod). All my outfits are now 7+ years old so I'm been researching for replacements and really like the Quantum Smoke PTi (inshore saltwater model) combined with either a St. Croix Tidemaster Inshore or a 13 Fishing Green Omen The 22lbs of drag and light weight sold me on the Smoke - and both the rods had the features I wanted - but the Tidemaster I believe is made in the USA. Anybody have experience with any of these? Your insights would be much appreciated!

You'll never see full use of 22lbs of drag from a inshore rod , nowhere even close..Drag ratings are marketing gimmicks. Stick with the Stradic FJ 3000 and a Tidemaster TIS70MF , 10lb mono or braid.
  • BridgeRodBridgeRod Posts: 211 Officer
    johnD wrote: »
    You'll never see full use of 22lbs of drag from a inshore rod , nowhere even close..Drag ratings are marking gimmicks. Stick with the Stradic FJ 3000 and a Tidemaster TIS70MF , 10lb mono or braid.

thats the truth. drag setting should generally be 1/4 to 1/3 the breaking pound test. if you put that on a scale with say 65lb test braid you're not going to like how it feels and odds are that something will break--the hook, line, leader, or rod
  • Beached anglerBeached angler Posts: 196 Officer
    When I went to a new **** grand opening I was just looking , and enjoying, when I came up on the quantum inshore. I was sitting there and playing with it forever, I honestly loved it, very light, good drag( but there is no way your using all the 22 pounds of drag) as a avid wader my self you don't want to horse them in, i got a hook in my side because a trout went haywire with a top pup in its mouth. But the reel if I get the money it will be on my list to buy. I have a diawa ballistic, and the only differance is that the ballistic spins longer, but if I had a choice to do it over I would of got the quantum. Rods, I like the falcon coastal, 7'6" with the split grip. Light rod, that fits into your hand
  • gettinwetgettinwet Posts: 1,366 Officer
    Thanks all for the insights and advice! I usually set my drag really light anyway to avoid the braid binding then cup the spool when I want to apply additional pressure.

Beached Angler - I've had the same thing happen to me - the trout hit the plug 6 feet in front of me and because of braid I ripped the plug right out of the its mouth with the hookset - I was lucky - caught me in the ear - though I looked funny walking around with a skitterwalk ear ring for awhile!
    There are only so many casts in life, so shut up and fish!!
  • congoman775congoman775 Posts: 1,395 Officer
    If you're used to the IMX I think you'll be disappointed with the tide master, it's pretty dull in comparison. That Omen you mentioned uses a decently high modulus blank and will be plenty sensitive.

Another option to consider (especially if you can visit a Bass Pro which just started carrying these) is the new Seeker Aquadream series. I can tell you I've got a couple rods built on these exact same blanks and the 6-12lb version is the best true Med-light inshore action I've ever handled, over my Legend Inshore or GLX rods. They make a 6'8 and a 7'2 in that rating, so I'd recommend whichever you're more comfortable with.
    http://aquadreamliving.com/camiaqdrgrro.html