Home Navionics

Navionics 906p and 906p+

001001 Posts: 4,292 Captain
I am trying to find the difference between the two? Does anyone know? I currently have the 632p+ and I need charting further east. Can I just update my current card? I did not think that I would need the 906 chart originally, but now I do.

Replies

• sharky12sharky12 Posts: 198 Deckhand
    Assuming you need the Bahamas? The 906P is the older version. MUCH lower resolution on the overlays and is the older data. Plus no free fresh data updates or fish n chip detail. Depending how far east you need to go, the 699P+ is $199 and gives you the full Bahamas down to Georgetown. if you need further past Georgetown then you need the 908. The 906 will give you Tampa around through the keys down to Georgetown and north to Morehead city. NC. The 906P+ is $399. worth the price but if all you need is smaller Bahamas area, grab the 699. You WILL want the newer data than what 906P has.
  • 001001 Posts: 4,292 Captain
    I picked up a 906p for $40. It will work for what I need. I really would like to find the 699p+. Thanks for the help.
  • sharky12sharky12 Posts: 198 Deckhand
    699P+ you should be able to find in most places or even online. that also has the inshore 1' contours for fishing and advanced contours for offshore. Bahamas data is MUCH better on this chart. if you are going to Bimini or West End that chart you got will be "okay" but still not great since we updated it. if you are going anywhere else, get the new data on 699. dont risk it. there has been a lot of changes! not giving you sales pitch for an extra chart sale, saying it as a fellow boater.
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    I bought a 906P+ a few years ago. I just sold it and got a new one that has the updating feature on it. I was looking forward to some updated images since the images from years ago they used leave a lot to be desired in many areas.
    So I am looking at all of the sat images on the new chip for all of the FL keys and find that they are still exactly the same as the older chip from years ago. And when I checked the date on many of those images on the old chip, they were several years old from the date they were selling the chip. Thus, the latest 906P+ has images of the keys that are from like 1996. Ridiculous... half of nine-mile bank near Islamorada is still totally blank and not shown on any images at all. For all the effort they try to put in updating charts, it's clear virtually none goes into the sat images. It's not like the images are not available. They get them from the same place as Google. You can look back through the historical google images from years ago and see the ones Navionics is still using today over 10 yrs old. Sat images that old should not be on any chip they are selling new today and to make it worse, the images that they chose to put on the chip were some of poorest quality contrast. Not sure who runs the sat updating dept at Navionics but ... On wait. I think I do know. there is no one focused on this even after all of this time. That is an enormous oversight. The fishing capital of the world and the sat data is ridiculously dated...
    Hate to ***** but after spending a few hundred just to get the same images they were selling from years ago.....I'm pretty unhappy to say the least.
  • DixonDixon Posts: 55 Greenhorn
    Hi Egret-
    I appreciate the feedback and will most definitely pass it along. Your concerns are very valid, and are a subject that receives more attention than you might think. I can tell you that there is an ongoing effort to source appropriate/available imagery/photos for the P+ products. In general, Navionics would like to think we're largely successful in providing a collective of panoramic photographs and satellite overlays that are more complete, recent, and of useful resolution than our competitors.
    That being said, there are always area where improvement is sorely needed. Absolutely.

Being able to source, license and distribute such data can be more challenging than you think. And ensuring we integrate such data in a way that is usable by as wide an array of chart plotters possible is obviously key.
    As you can likely assume...we could build an incredible P+ catalog of this supplemental data in the highest resolution possible and hand you a golden 64 GB MSD chip...but you wouldn't be able to plug it into anything!

We have to work within the constraints of 16 GB.

That's not an excuse, but I'm just trying to allay some of the (frustrating) realities I have encountered over the last year of asking lots of questions.

We've got a lot of good people working very hard in sourcing. The chart data remains our priority, but updating the overlays/photos IS and ongoing, worldwide effort.
    Just looking at this little stretch of the Keys and the number of photos included...you can imagine how intensive the effort might be.
    image-2_zps8c76bd77.jpg

I'll keep pushing and look to get answers for you.
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 949 Officer
    Dixon wrote: »
    Hi Egret-
    I appreciate the feedback and will most definitely pass it along. Your concerns are very valid, and are a subject that receives more attention than you might think. I can tell you that there is an ongoing effort to source appropriate/available imagery/photos for the P+ products. In general, Navionics would like to think we're largely successful in providing a collective of panoramic photographs and satellite overlays that are more complete, recent, and of useful resolution than our competitors.
    That being said, there are always area where improvement is sorely needed. Absolutely.

Being able to source, license and distribute such data can be more challenging than you think. And ensuring we integrate such data in a way that is usable by as wide an array of chart plotters possible is obviously key.
    As you can likely assume...we could build an incredible P+ catalog of this supplemental data in the highest resolution possible and hand you a golden 64 GB MSD chip...but you wouldn't be able to plug it into anything!

We have to work within the constraints of 16 GB.

That's not an excuse, but I'm just trying to allay some of the (frustrating) realities I have encountered over the last year of asking lots of questions.

We've got a lot of good people working very hard in sourcing. The chart data remains our priority, but updating the overlays/photos IS and ongoing, worldwide effort.
    Just looking at this little stretch of the Keys and the number of photos included...you can imagine how intensive the effort might be.
    image-2_zps8c76bd77.jpg

I'll keep pushing and look to get answers for you.

It seems to me the images they used are sourced from the same place as Google gets theirs. I can find images where they are exactly the same - you can tell from the boats running around. There is a plethora of imagery available just as there was when the first 906P+ chip was created. What I find mysterious is why looking at all of the available images for an area, sometimes they chose the poorest quality image to put on the chip of the inages available at the time. I would think that with the Keys being what it is to boating and fishing the recent images would be a top priority. Having images that are so old on the latest chips with absolutely zero changes from many years ago is embarrassing. Thanks for your response and I am hopeful they will be updating these images soon for the Keys as it is many years past due.
  • DixonDixon Posts: 55 Greenhorn
    It seems to me the images they used are sourced from the same place as Google gets theirs. I can find images where they are exactly the same - you can tell from the boats running around. There is a plethora of imagery available just as there was when the first 906P+ chip was created. What I find mysterious is why looking at all of the available images for an area, sometimes they chose the poorest quality image to put on the chip of the inages available at the time. I would think that with the Keys being what it is to boating and fishing the recent images would be a top priority. Having images that are so old on the latest chips with absolutely zero changes from many years ago is embarrassing. Thanks for your response and I am hopeful they will be updating these images soon for the Keys as it is many years past due.

I'm sure they can be sourced from the same place...but I just don't know enough about the sourcing efforts to comment.
    I do agree that the Keys represent a very important boating area, and one which the use of reliable/effective satellite overlays is of particularly high incremental value to the boater.
    I can understand your frustration in wanting the most recent and hi-resolution overlays possible. And I assure you right now there is likely similar feedback coming to us from boaters in Brisbane, Oslo, Istanbul, Mauritius, etc looking for us to source and implement the latest and greatest.

I do want to reiterate, that Navionics has to be very aware of data size at all times. The higher the resolution of a photo/overlay...more data. That affects not only the overall data load we must fit on the chips, but also the various manner in which the hardware you own will render such data. If you turn on various features in the chartplotters of two different manufacturers, it may likely be rendered slightly different - colors, resolution at various zoom, etc. Even though the software is the same.

We appreciate the feedback.
  • cracker78cracker78 Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    hey bud. Do you happen to know what year your 906p is? i am desperate for an older model.I had one and let it go with my boat. the satellite imagery was great for the area I fish which is the ten thousand islands. I bought a new 906p+ and I guess there were a lot of clouds that day in the area on the images they used. Rest of the state looks great. if you have the one im looking for we can work something out and get you what .
  • cracker78cracker78 Posts: 5 Greenhorn
    I am in desperate need of an older 906p chip. I had a 2008 model and it was great for the area I fish which is the Ten Thousand Islands. I let it go on accident when I sold my boat. I purchased a newer 906p+ but all the imagery in that area had been changed. A lot of cloud cover and reflection on the water. Will do ANYTHING to get my hands on the one im looking for. please help.