Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Beautiful day out of Marco- grouper

A couple of buds and I ran out of Marco about 20 miles this morning. The bite was slow, but steady. We picked up 4 keepers over the 4 hours we fished. The largest was about 24" and was caught on a live blue runner. Others were picked up on bucktails with curly tails. The bite shut down when the 'wind ran against the tide'. By that I mean, the current is pushing one way and the wind is pushing the other. Whenever that happens, it makes drift fishing (my favorite technique) almost impossible so the bite shut off. I believe strongly in drift fishing as my mentor said to me "anchoring up requires you to be in the right spot and bring the fish to you". I learned that drifting brings the bait past the fish. If we pick up a quality fish, we mark the spot. Drift past it again and get another- this is now a keeper spot. Using this method, one can build up a selection of quality spots rather quickly. Another hint is to drift areas where you find crab pots. As my mentor said to me again- "Do you think those guys are fishing over plain flat bottom?" This technique often pays off too.
Get out and catch em up.

one lane snapper (12")hit a jig bigger than him!

The ride home- buddy in tow

Replies