Mandatory permit or registry system for GOM reef fish

I got an e-mail alert from the FWC yesterday about upcoming workshops regarding the above. Anyone heard about this?? What's the details & how do they propose to implement it? I couldn't find any details about the proposal. See link below:

http://myfwc.com/news/news-releases/2014/february/25/reef-fish-wkshps/

Big brother strikes again.............

Livin' the Dream !

Replies

• acarbacarb Posts: 2,357 Captain
    I don't think its a bad thing if they honestly use it for true data.
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,795 Captain
    acarb wrote: »
    I don't think its a bad thing if they honestly use it for true data.

Good luck with that!! Every time we cooperate with them with information, they use it to screw us. I just remember the surveys @ the ramps & marinas back in the day. We ended up with license requirements & draconian regs with the deck stacked against the recs.
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
  • acarbacarb Posts: 2,357 Captain
    Klinger wrote: »
    Good luck with that!! Every time we cooperate with them with information, they use it to screw us. I just remember the surveys @ the ramps & marinas back in the day. We ended up with license requirements & draconian regs with the deck stacked against the recs.
    That's why I said IF.
  • Red FishRed Fish Posts: 1,163 Officer
    I have mixed feelings on this. I will preface this with saying the FWC isn't the enemy. NMFS is.

I get irritated when they do the wild speculation as to how much and of what is caught. The only way to improve this is to seek real data. It seems that is what they are doing here. I wouldn't necessarily write this off as a bad thing.

At the same time I see y'alls point about sharing data and being screwed in the past.
    Genesis 27:3 - Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,177 Admiral
    Red Fish wrote: »
    At the same time I see y'alls point about sharing data and being screwed in the past.

^^^this^^^

And let me add, I've had the most respect for the FWC until they treated me like a criminal! most know me and have happy passings but when they're training a new guy... they suck with respect!
  • LilOrangeLilOrange Posts: 1,187 Officer
    Looks like they moved ahead with it at today's meeting

http://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/FLFFWCC/bulletins/b1ad39

Livin' the Dream !
  • jandersonjanderson Posts: 256 Officer
    I agree, I think the FWC is the "good guy" as far as fish management goes. Or, let me rephrase by saying I trust the state much more than the feds. I think there is no way to move forward in a way that benefits rec anglers from this point unless we come up with some way to prove that the data currently being used in flawed. They call it "accountability" and we're gonna have to come up with a system that provides it to ever get a fair shake. I think.
    Captain. Josh Anderson

Lite the Nite Charters

Guided flounder gigging and bow fishing in Port St. Joe, Panama City, Destin and Gulf Breeze

www.litethenitecharters.com

850-396-1816
    Sounds ever so familiar as Obummer Care! This has got to stop!
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,028 Moderator
    arming government agencies with information is the whole problem.

wholeheartedly against it.

I think we should all be issued tags for each species that expire on your birthday. non-transferable. can be used year round. must be in fish if fish is on the boat. angler must be on boat. huge penalty if fish is dead and no tag. I would pay a little extra in license fee for that option.

let them model through their own data to come up with the limits. the last thing I want to do is anything that makes it appear as though they have accurate information. it is well known that right now they do not. any and all data can be manipulated for them to achieve their goal... this becomes even easier if public perception is that the data is accurate.
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
    janderson wrote: »
    I agree, I think the FWC is the "good guy" as far as fish management goes. Or, let me rephrase by saying I trust the state much more than the feds. I think there is no way to move forward in a way that benefits rec anglers from this point unless we come up with some way to prove that the data currently being used in flawed. They call it "accountability" and we're gonna have to come up with a system that provides it to ever get a fair shake. I think.

FOR NOW! This is like having no problem with a president signing a record number of executive orders and bypassing Congress... As long as it's your guy. Well, what happens when we grow accustomed to it and suddenly it's not your guy "with a pen and a phone?" Oh, wait, we already know what happens.

Bad ideas are bad ideas regardless of who spawned them and their degree of benevolence.
    BP didn't screw us with the oil spill. They're going to end up screwing us with a **** grant.

I'm so sick of these meddlesome busy bodies in Tallahassee and DC.
  • KlingerKlinger Posts: 1,795 Captain
    arming government agencies with information is the whole problem.

wholeheartedly against it.

I think we should all be issued tags for each species that expire on your birthday. non-transferable. can be used year round. must be in fish if fish is on the boat. angler must be on boat. huge penalty if fish is dead and no tag. I would pay a little extra in license fee for that option.

let them model through their own data to come up with the limits. the last thing I want to do is anything that makes it appear as though they have accurate information. it is well known that right now they do not. any and all data can be manipulated for them to achieve their goal... this becomes even easier if public perception is that the data is accurate.

:Agree Been there, done that---Screwed every time I cooperated. Screw us once, shame on them--screw us twice, shame on us! Like PH said, all data can be manupilated to prove any point you choose!
    In my many years, I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame,two is a law firm, and three or more is a congress.-- John Adams
    What they want is your personal data! Just like O**** health care! They really don't give a rats *** of what the fish population is doing. What they really want is your personal information. The Feds wants to rule period and no one's resisting. It's really sad that most of us here never seen how communism took effect.
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 10,465 AG
    In my best Russian accent:

Your papers are not in order....
    Warning Level 2