Tenkara fishing anyone tried it?

fltsfshrfltsfshr Posts: 292 Officer
We're headed up in the smoky mtns for a few days. Thought we'd try a little trout fishing. Our rods are 8's and bigger and I was looking for a small take down set up.

I found a tenkara set up, I'd never heard of it before. It looks like a fun way to fly fish. I like trying new stuff.

Has anyone used that kind of rig and what did you think of it?

Thanks

fltsfshr
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• beyondhelpbeyondhelp Posts: 392 Deckhand
    I was watching some videos the other day and it looks interesting. I'm avoiding it for now as I already have a bunch of rods and I need to focus more on catching than buying. :rotflmao
    John.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Permit RatPermit Rat Posts: 2,283 Captain
    I went to the site and thought all the rods were longer. A lot of the streams in that area are small and quite overgrown. But there is more open water too, so I guess it is simply a matter of what you prefer.

Unfortunately, the (Hardy Flyweight) reel dissolved, because I used it in salt water, to catch micro tarpon in a Keys canal......But before that, I really loved the Abercrombie & Fitch 4'4" fly outfit that I had. As said, it came with a Hardy Flyweight reel and a custom made WF 5 F fly line that was only 35 ft. long. I think the head was only about 10 ft. It looked like a toy, but I took some serious northeastern brown trout on this rig. Anyway, this is what I would use. I still have the rod, and it might be perfect for those frequently overgrown streams in that area. Other than that, I would use my 7' 3 wt. Unfortunately, it's in Mexico. Other than that, I'd be happy to let you use it.
    .......Rick
  • troutrageous1troutrageous1 Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    I know this is an old thread, but just figured I'd chime in, especially since the print mag published this article last month...
    http://www.floridasportsman.com/2014/04/11/un-reel-cane-pole-fishing/

Tenkara is a lot more than cane pole fishing, and honestly can be deadly on bass and bream in the ponds of Florida. While intended for small mountain stream trout, you might be surprised to see what you can catch.

P1010546+%5B1600x1200%5D.JPG

Would love to know if there are other tenkara anglers in Florida (I'm a Pennsylvania transplant)? Or if anyone that is interested in learning more, I'd be happy to help with any info...heck, if you're close enough...let's go fishing!
    Mike Agneta
    troutrageous.com
  • Water BearWater Bear Posts: 83 Greenhorn
    It sure looks like it would have been fun to catch that bass on a Tenkara rod.
  • razorreilly09razorreilly09 Posts: 8,401 Officer
    I like it... On certain waters, preferably a lesser vegetated stream with less than spooky fish.
    I do more direct placement dropping of the fly than actually casting- picking it up and setting it down, maybe with a slight flick
  • troutrageous1troutrageous1 Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Water Bear wrote: »
    It sure looks like it would have been fun to catch that bass on a Tenkara rod.

It makes even small fish feel huge, so yeah, that bass was a blast!
    Mike Agneta
    troutrageous.com