Home Photography Corner

Adobe Light Room vs. Adobe Creative Cloud

morrowmorrow Posts: 553 Officer
Looking to invest in photo editing software.
I think Light Room would fullfill my immediate needs, although is Creative Cloud worth the extra.

Thanks for comments and sugestions.
'"This country will not be a permanently good place for any of us to live in unless we make it a reasonably good place for all of us to live in. "
— Theodore Roosevelt

Replies

• WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    First of all it is not an "investment." It is an expense.

Now with that said, LR will likely do what you want for a long time as it is becoming more robust, etc.

As for CC, I have read over and over again, that if you use third party plug-ins, it is extremely difficult to keep them attached to CC. I have read many instances of folks have to reinstall, many times because the plug-ins just "disappear." IMHO Adobe had a problem.

Also, I have many, many other I suppose personal issues with subscription software. That is a topic for another thread.
  • GuidenetGuidenet Posts: 239 Officer
    If you need the best pixel level editor made, you need it and Lightroom just will not do the job. If you want some fairly good editing software along with one of the best DAM programs, get Lightroom. DAM means digital asset management. They overlap, but are not the same type of software.

Like my friend, the other Craig, said, I also don't like a subscription service.
    Nikon D800, D3S, D700, D300, Canon G1X, Sigma 15 f/2.8 Fisheye, Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, Nikon 16-35 f/4 VR, Nikon 28 f/1.8G AFS, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Nikon 35-70 f/2.8 AFD, Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 AFD, Nikon 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR, Nikon 80-400 f/4.5-5.6 AFS VR, Nikon 35 f/2, Nikon 50 f/1.8 G, Nikon 60 f/2.8 G Micro, Nikon 85 f/1.4 AFS G, Nikon 105 f/2.5 AI, Sigma 150 f/2.8 APO Macro, Nikon 300 f/2.8 AFS VR, Nikon 500 f/4 -P, Interfit Stellar X complete six light studio
  • mississippi macmississippi mac Posts: 4,222 Captain
    Guidenet wrote: »
    If you need the best pixel level editor made, you need it and Lightroom just will not do the job. If you want some fairly good editing software along with one of the best DAM programs, get Lightroom. DAM means digital asset management. They overlap, but are not the same type of software.

Like my friend, the other Craig, said, I also don't like a subscription service.

as the Craigs have said, lightroom 5.3 is the way to go...
    a friend of mine who has been using cs since he first went digital uo cs-6 (which is the end of the line for cs) has moved over to lr-5.3 and has no interest, nor does he need the cloud account....
    he says there is nothing he can't do in lr then he could in cs...
    he also has most of topaz plugins which work very well with all of adobe photo editing software...
    he mostly uses the topaz B&W plugin and the topaz de-noise plugin...

also ps elements12 will do just about anything cs-6 does for cheap...

tim

tim
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Real White Dog

if you can't catch a fish...catch a buzz....
    #12976, joined 8-17-2002
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    That Topaz Labs Denoise is fantastic. If you buy none of the rest of the suite, buy that. Definitely worth the price. Sorry for the derail.
  • morrowmorrow Posts: 553 Officer
    Hey thanks for the info,
    '"This country will not be a permanently good place for any of us to live in unless we make it a reasonably good place for all of us to live in. "
    — Theodore Roosevelt