"Urban Amazon" MASSIVE South Florida Peacock Bass with Video!

First and foremost, I cannot express the amount of satisfaction that I got from doing this kind of fishing and meeting these people. These are hands down some of the most intelligent group of fisherman I have had the chance to get a tight line with. They know these spots and fish unlike anyone in the state and for me to have the chance to film and catch these beautiful orange and green fish was the icing on the cake. SPOT STEALING TECHNOLOGY IS INTEGRATED IN ALMOST EVERY PICTURE ON THIS POST! :blowkiss

To get things started on this writeup I want you all to know that the peacock fishery has rebounded back unlike any other fishery I have seen. The amount of fish, BIG fish, that we passed up on was incredible, either because they were bedding or we ended up catching the smaller one of the pair. Yes you heard me right, these guys when finding a pair of fish will only catch one of the two in order to not cause more stress to the fish or pull it away from its bed. I cannot tell you the amount of times we ended up catching a 2lber rather than a 6lber because the smaller fish ate first. This is why their spots are so well contained and hold fish week after week.

Each day we started off at one of our baits spots to load up on small brim, chichlids, and tilapias. Spending about 30 minutes to an hour catching about 60-100 baits. It's pretty incredible to say the least even with bait. They have multiple bait spots that they rotate so that they don't wipe out one spot completely.

I could sit here and literally type up a 10,000-20,000 word write up on how amazing this was but I'd rather just highlight some incredible moments for you all to read which included a spot where we caught 30 peas in one place.

Scavenging from spot to spot we had pulled up into one of Jovan prime time pipe spots where he said he had seen a wolfpack of fish. Sure enough when arrived right off the pipe there was roughly 40-60 peacock all stacked up on top of each other. One of the most incredible things I have ever seen in a freshwater fishery. Between the 5 of us that were there we caught 30 fish all between 2-5lb with multiple quad headers. It was incredible to say the least.

GOPR0068.jpg

We continued later to one of Joeys spots for big fish. He said he had scouted a couple days before and had seen some very good looking fish. We pull up to the spot and Ryan and Joey catch a couple small ones in the 2-3lb range. I hedge my way over to the left around the bend of this pool pipe when out of the corner of my eye I see a pair of two massive peas. Both the female and the male were big. I kept quite to not spook them and pitched my live bait to the big bull. With in seconds he inhaled it and I set up on the little Stradic Ci4+ with 10lb and watched the reel scream! Get the 6lb fish to the bank for a quick picture and let him off to pair up again with his mate. We left big female probably around 5lbs alone.

GOPR0399.jpg

Joey is walking the bank just past where I caught my stud and spot a fish on a ledge that didn't look to big but was worth a toss at. Quickly the aggressive fish inhaled the bait but when he rolled on it we about S*** our pants when we saw how big it was before Joey stuck the hook in em! Big beautiful fish with some insane headshakes and jumps that ended up going 7lbs on the boga!

GOPR0499.jpg

Another incredible moment was with Ryan's girlfriend found a pair of big fish that wouldn't cooperate. She continuously re-pitched her bait in and out of the bed when after 20 minutes she finally got the fish to eat. Screams and hollers we being shouted throughout the whole fight and pictures of the beautiful 5lb fish! He also caught a very nice fish and decided to do the MIA 305 Grill while he was at it!

3.jpg
2.png

The last week of fishing took place with Joey, Me and Kris who walked some new grounds hoping to run into some donkey fish. Well our plan went just as planned. With in the first hour Kris and Joey both caught a 5lb and 6lb fish within 10 yards from each other. I had to join in and I myself also busted a 6lber as well.

PeacockBlur3.jpg

Adam and Jovan of Reel-Deal adventures put us on some incredible fish. They themselves have countless pictures of multiple 4-6lb fish as well. They know the areas better than anyone I know. Many of the big fish we caught was soely because of their incredible spots. I can't thank you two enough for it. Here are some of the fish that they, and we all got into!

8.jpg
9.jpg
1.jpg
GOPR0437.jpg
GOPR0493.jpg
6.jpg
4.png
11.jpg
IMG_4730.jpg
5.jpg
7.jpg

**BE SURE TO WATCH IN HD FOR FULL EXPERIENCE**

To see updated pictures follow us on Instagram to the accounts below and subscribe to the Slayer Circuit Youtube Channel!

@bbegovic
@reeldealadventures
@itsreelgood
@thaspanishfly
@krissnook
@robinreefs
@adiaz2385
@stevanasanchez

Replies

• TLUVTLUV Posts: 265 Officer
    That's awesome fellas!!
  • HialeahAnglerHialeahAngler Posts: 9,612 Admiral
    I know that spot.
    friedpeacocks.jpg
  • Gary S. ColecchioGary S. Colecchio Posts: 24,922 Officer
    Trippy....
    "If I can't win, I won't play." - Doris Colecchio.

"Well Gary, the easiest way to look tall is to stand in a room full of short people." - Curtis Bostick

"All these forums, with barely any activity, are like a neglected old cemetery that no one visits anymore."- anonymouse
  • CoolisimoCoolisimo Posts: 190 Deckhand
    Outstanding report and great pictures!!!!
    Carpe Diem!
  • snookyjsnookyj Posts: 1,687 Officer
    Noice!!! Those spots seem to always produce nice fish!!
  • LurchyLurchy Posts: 374 Deckhand
    Unreal.. Those r some slobs fo sho.. Saw these on Instagram.. Good goin! Wish I knew where that was;)
  • ElPatoLocoBPSElPatoLocoBPS Posts: 86 Greenhorn
    great video man
  • remel1993remel1993 Posts: 509 Officer
    Great post. There is one thing that I never understood with guides and their attempt to keep their spots hidden. If they try to keep their spots a secret, then why do they take other people out to fish with them for $. Wont their spots not be a secret anymore? Whose to say that all of his clients wont secretly fish at those spots behind his back? Thats how honey holes slowly lose all their honey. Because other bees invade the area and take it all. Sorry for the tangent. Hope it makes sense. :huh
    If I dont answer my phone call, either Im fishing or riding my motorcycle. -Salty Bike Life
  • You guys own that fishery!!!
  • bbenbben Posts: 118 Officer
    Thank you guys!
    remel1993 wrote: »
    Great post. There is one thing that I never understood with guides and their attempt to keep their spots hidden. If they try to keep their spots a secret, then why do they take other people out to fish with them for $. Wont their spots not be a secret anymore? Whose to say that all of his clients wont secretly fish at those spots behind his back? Thats how honey holes slowly lose all their honey. Because other bees invade the area and take it all. Sorry for the tangent. Hope it makes sense. :huh

Very good question, here is what they have told me personally. The amount of spots they have is incredible and some of them are virtually impossible to get to with out the guides consent for instance private gated neighborhoods. In fact their "best spots" are actually never seen by clients only by friends. They have a book, yes a book, with all there spots listed and dated with the last time they've fished it. Pretty incredible to say the least but of course the worry of people coming back is always taunting.
  • LitiGATORLitiGATOR Posts: 819 Officer
    **** video Ben!!
  • Reel-DealReel-Deal Posts: 86 Deckhand
    As a local guide we have put together dozens upon dozens of spots, many of which are used solely for clients. These spots are easily accessible and steadily produce fish. Making rotations on spots over week periods keep the fish hungry and protected. Then there are other locations that we fish ourselves along with family and friends. Never exposing them to outsiders. Call us crazy or whatever you may be we've been tricked numerous times in the beginning stages of our business and learned from those mistakes.
  • remel1993remel1993 Posts: 509 Officer
    Reel-Deal wrote: »
    As a local guide we have put together dozens upon dozens of spots, many of which are used solely for clients. These spots are easily accessible and steadily produce fish. Making rotations on spots over week periods keep the fish hungry and protected. Then there are other locations that we fish ourselves along with family and friends. Never exposing them to outsiders. Call us crazy or whatever you may be we've been tricked numerous times in the beginning stages of our business and learned from those mistakes.

Cool! I met you once at a spot in broward while fishing for tarpon. You were the one who introduced me to the forums. The way I see it, those who are true to fishing should not rely on other people for good fishing spots. Its all about putting forth the effort and hop from one body of water to the other in search for good spots. Nothing more rewarding than claiming a honey hole that isnt discovered by anyone else.
    If I dont answer my phone call, either Im fishing or riding my motorcycle. -Salty Bike Life
  • gdholbrookgdholbrook Posts: 480 Deckhand
    That last spot in the vid was sick...I love the LM running up through all the peas.
  • lowe-boylowe-boy Posts: 1,209 Officer
    Pembroke Pines/Miramar is a great fishery and holds those large fish you seek:thumbsup
    The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
  • HKNHKN Posts: 45 Deckhand
    lowe-boy wrote: »
    Pembroke Pines/Miramar is a great fishery and holds those large fish you seek:thumbsup

and Weston ... Many of those spots are indeed private communities that the guides have access to ... some of those communities have access on main roads and if you're lucky and respectful, you can gain access without being harassed to leave. Parking close is a common issue.

Pipes are the first structure I hit up when I hit up the spots ... never failed me to get a hook up to get a trip started.

I'm not going to step on anyone's toes here that make $$$ on "chartering" but I'll share a few spots if you message me to get you going if you're interested. Some of the west miramar spots hold tarpon as well and prob snook ... I personelly never hooked on to a tarpon but had seen them rolling.

Broward is back and is back strong especially with the warm winter ... no surprise ... of south florida. If you're in Dade, I can also point you in the right direction. I seen more pbass in Dade than Broward ... plus, I caught a 3' silver arowana in Dade =) Now that lake I probably will not be willing to share but proof is in the pudding right?...check out my instragram, "hokinng" =) ... someone also caught a silver arowana in Broward =)
  • HKNHKN Posts: 45 Deckhand
    Cool! I met you once at a spot in broward while fishing for tarpon. You were the one who introduced me to the forums. The way I see it, those who are true to fishing should not rely on other people for good fishing spots. Its all about putting forth the effort and hop from one body of water to the other in search for good spots. Nothing more rewarding than claiming a honey hole that isnt discovered by anyone else.

i agree with ya ... but i also believe one can and sometime needs an inspiration to seek out "spots"...and nothing inspires me more than hooking up and getting "hooked" lol. Once hooked that's when you would want to venture out and do some google mapping and walking.

i will always hit up "common" spots that are well know and are fished alot especially since I live by a few of them... but then i have those "guide" spots in private communities that I'm fortunate enough to have friends or friends' friends that live in them to grant me access anytime i want with a simple phone call...sometimes 2 =)

like a good friend of mine told me after giving up his spots to a stranger one night ... "you can tell them the spots, but that does not guarantee them catching fish" ... =)
  • RodbenderRodbender Posts: 11 Greenhorn
    Looks like you guys are fishing in my backyard lol. I just wanted to express my thanks on being respectful to the fish in order for everyone to enjoy catching these fresh water monsters. Let me know next time your in the area and I'll join you guys since I just gotta step into my backyard. Keep up the good work!
  • RollinRollin Posts: 1,532 Captain
    Wow!! Good work guys !!!
    guides?
    friedpeacocks.jpg
  • closcabcloscab Posts: 122 Officer
    Gotta get into this Peacock Bass action! Any one know if they are in the 79th street canal? Or Miami Shores Golf courses?
    closcab wrote: »
    Gotta get into this Peacock Bass action! Any one know if they are in the 79th street canal? Or Miami Shores Golf courses?

you'd have to go west of the dam.
    friedpeacocks.jpg
  • GotBass?GotBass? Posts: 202 Deckhand
    Awesome report!!! Peacock fishing rocks!!!! :fishing
  • closcabcloscab Posts: 122 Officer
    you'd have to go west of the dam.
    Gracias
  • BocaCentury2900BocaCentury2900 Posts: 99 Deckhand
    Wow very nice!
  • bbenbben Posts: 118 Officer
    Thanks everyone. The bite has been incredible the past month!
  • Bsmith48Bsmith48 Posts: 162 Deckhand
    Man thats awesome. those are some pigs
    Proline 24SS 225 Suzuki
  • wellcraftwellcraft Posts: 1,333 Officer
    Awesome work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    paypallogo.png
    Vertical jigs, Trolling lures, and more! Click the logo!

All V-Series High Speed Wahoo Lures
    http://victorylures.com/trolling-lures/v-series.html

Face Book Page for Victory Lures
    http://www.facebook.com/VictoryLures

Visit My Blog
    www.averticalthought.com
  • snookmaster34snookmaster34 Posts: 89 Deckhand
    wellcraft wrote: »
    Awesome work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesse

Those are the lakes I have been fishing for years,the pics you saw on facebook were from those lakes.

I am glad you guys are doing your best to keep that private,I have been fishing peacocks for over 20 years.One thing I would not giude anyone their ,those are places to take your kids or closest friends peroid.
  • swordawetswordawet 337 miles WNW of GTCPosts: 622 Officer
    You must have been fishing near the nuke plant. Those are some healthy lunkers for sure. Nice post!
    "Today's the Day" .... Mel Fisher