Home Fly Fishing

Tarpon fly setup

snook_smugglersnook_smuggler Posts: 37 Deckhand
I was going to buy the Tibor Billy pate reel for tarpon. Do any of you have it for tarpon and if so do you like it?
I was also going to accompany it with a G. Loomis cross current saltwater 11 wt fly rod. I was thinking about putting monocord on it. Anybody have anything to say about it?

Replies

• E-typeE-type Posts: 246 Officer
    One of my setups has a Billy Pate reel. It is a bullet proof reel, but an old design. The newer large arbor reels make it easier to get line back in a hurry. Also the drag adjustment is on the same side as the reel handle. If you try to adjust it when the tarpon is running (you shouldn't anyway) count on busting a knuckle or two. Set your drag where it should be and if you need to just palm the reel. I have it on a Scott 11wt with a 12wt line. If you want to see the reel in action check out a video of a tarpon I caught last year on it. [video=youtube_share;tt17hCsG8MA]
  • Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 2,918 Admin
    Great video E...
    Mark P. Wilson
    Marine Surveyor, SAMS-SA, ABYC
    Wilson Yacht Survey, Inc
    Old Bahama Bay (Owner / Board of Directors) 

I was going to buy the Tibor Billy pate reel for tarpon. Do any of you have it for tarpon and if so do you like it?
    I was also going to accompany it with a G. Loomis cross current saltwater 11 wt fly rod. I was thinking about putting monocord on it. Anybody have anything to say about it?

I'm afraid I had a senior moment :cookoo. You are probably talking about a Billy Pate anti-reverse reel. Mine is an older direct drive with external spool. Most people seem not to like the anti-reverse because it is too heavy and I don't think you can palm the reel. There may be some threads already on it.
  • Sage ManSage Man Posts: 195 Officer
    Any thoughts on the Gulfstream? That's the one I have my eye on.
  • sparse greysparse grey Posts: 1,751 Captain
    Have & use a gulfstream on my heavy tarpon rod (sage). Strong, reliable & would stop a Buick.
    Ron Conner Release the fish, keep the memories. Once a Knight is enough.
  • Carl BlackledgeCarl Blackledge Posts: 674 Officer
    E-type wrote: »
    I'm afraid I had a senior moment :cookoo. You are probably talking about a Billy Pate anti-reverse reel. Mine is an older direct drive with external spool. Most people seem not to like the anti-reverse because it is too heavy and I don't think you can palm the reel. There may be some threads already on it.

Yes you can palm the AR Pate.
  • kbkeyskbkeys Posts: 691 Officer
    Love my Gulfstream, 12wt Wulff BTT, 11 wt. Thomas& Thomas
  • SurfcasterSurfcaster Posts: 30 Deckhand
  • AlwaysAbuAlwaysAbu Posts: 476 Deckhand
    Really great video, thanks for posting? Where do you fish out of?
  • redjimredjim Posts: 774 Officer
    Dan, truly super video. I liked everything about it especially the slow motion!

GREAT FISH!

:thumbsup
    AlwaysAbu wrote: »
    Really great video, thanks for posting? Where do you fish out of?

Charlotte Harbor.

And thanks, Jim.
    A few amateur questions, I really want to take a few shots this year for the 1st time on tarpon...
    #1 - Do you position to be straight facing the fish and then cast just short of the lead fish and wait for them to just swim up on it before stripping, or do you position like a 45 degree and just bring it across their face, or neither?

#2 - Isn't the general fishing rule if the water is clear use light colored lures and if water is dark use darker lures? Yet it seems most tarpon flies are purple, black, grizzly and would be the choice in stained backwaters or on the clear beaches. Is that correct, and if so. .is it just a tarpon thing?
    Where does green or chartreuse fit in to tarpon flies, or don't they?

#3 - It looked like you were in some fairly shallow water, what line do you prefer, to throw, is it the sinking intermediate, floating, clear sink tip, etc? In my case, my shots will probably be on the beaches in like 11-12ft of water, what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance to anyone for some advice.
    AlwaysAbu wrote: »
    A few amateur questions, I really want to take a few shots this year for the 1st time on tarpon...
    #1 - Do you position to be straight facing the fish and then cast just short of the lead fish and wait for them to just swim up on it before stripping, or do you position like a 45 degree and just bring it across their face, or neither?

#2 - Isn't the general fishing rule if the water is clear use light colored lures and if water is dark use darker lures? Yet it seems most tarpon flies are purple, black, grizzly and would be the choice in stained backwaters or on the clear beaches. Is that correct, and if so. .is it just a tarpon thing?
    Where does green or chartreuse fit in to tarpon flies, or don't they?

#3 - It looked like you were in some fairly shallow water, what line do you prefer, to throw, is it the sinking intermediate, floating, clear sink tip, etc? In my case, my shots will probably be on the beaches in like 11-12ft of water, what would you recommend?

Thanks in advance to anyone for some advice.

I'm not sure if I am qualified to give you hard and fast answers; but since you seemed to address them to me, I'll try. The short answer is it depends.

If you are fishing an area, like the beach, where fish are on their way somewhere ideally you want your fly in front of the fish as long as possible. That would be directly in front of the fish. A straight on shot. You won't get many of those so the next best would be at an angle. As with any fish you don't want to have the fly swim toward the fish. The best information I have gleaned is to think of a kitten and a feather on a string. You want to tease the tarpon into eating the fly. Too far away it won't go after it. Toward it and it will run away. Too fast it won't chase it. Just get its attention and tease it into the neighborhood. Just because it turns on your fly doesn't always mean it will eat it. You have to keep it interested. Somewhere on the web there is an article by Andy Mill on tarpon. He explains it quite well.

It is probably heresy to say this, but I have never found a strong correlation for the light fly light bottom for tarpon. I actually like a dark fly most of the time. (in deep water mid-season in Charlotte Harbors summer dark waters I use a large light fly to look like a thread fin or ladyfish) I like to see my fly in relation to the fish (when that is possible) and a dark fly on a light bottom is easy to see. The first two videos of tarpon last year were in clear shallow water and both were caught with a dark fly on a light sandy bottom. The other video of tarpon 3&4 was in tannic water fishing blind to rolling fish in a river/creek. My two cents is tarpon will eat what they see and is easy to grab with minimal effort assuming they feel like eating.

In shallow water or deep water with tarpon near the surface, a floating line. In deep water an intermediate. Remember the fly has to be close to the fish and generally tarpon eat up, not down. If you can see the fish in 11-12' of water just throw a line and or weighted fly that will get close to their level and stay there so it is in front of them as long as possible. What you use depends on what you have and what you feel comfortable throwing.

I would think there are plenty of opinions out there, these are just mine.
    Thanks for the tips, much appreciated!
  • Docked WagesDocked Wages Posts: 2,918 Admin
    Great video
    Mark P. Wilson
    Marine Surveyor, SAMS-SA, ABYC
    Wilson Yacht Survey, Inc
    Old Bahama Bay (Owner / Board of Directors) 

• redjimredjim Posts: 774 Officer
    Dan, great help!! Thanks
  • Net 30Net 30 Posts: 1,022 Officer

I have a Pate Tarpon Direct Drive in great condition I'm thinking about selling.......